1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Prosport V Hw98

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Teuchter Boy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Teuchter Boy

Teuchter Boy Engaging Member

I have been off work for a few weeks following surgery and until today I wasn't able to handle my springers. With the sun out and my wounds feeling better I decided to man up and crack out the springers, fitting the various upgrade scopes I had bought whilst high on morphine, a great and uninhibited way to shop...... A 2x7 airmax went on my prosport in 22 and an old map 6 4x12x40 Airmax on the HW98 in 177.

The prosport will always be my favourite springer but once I got use to the HW98 (which I recently bought and couldn't get on with on my first attempts) the bloody thing was shooting just a wee bit more accurately and is significantly lighter to lug around. Took each one out for a bunny bash round my fields and the prosport got two and the HW98 smacked a crow. Victory for the prosport but still miffed the HW98 slightly edged it in the target shooting.

Has anyone else ended up having to concede their "favourite" gun has been trumped by one you are not so found of?

2. td_boy

td_boy Donator

I have a HW98...Is the Prosport actually heavier?...It looks much lighter.

Teuchter Boy likes this.
  3. StellaArtois Sr

StellaArtois Sr Springer Whore

I bought a HW98 in .177 as I love my .22 version and hearing how accurate they are I decided to get one. It's a shame as my one suffered from the stringing problem, so I bought another one and with my luck the replacement is just as bloody bad. Severely fed up with them. However I can always get a smile on my face using the ProSports they must be in the group of most accurate rifles that I own.
    I am determined to sort the HW98 out though.:mad:
    Ade :thumb:

Teuchter Boy likes this.
  4. bob4026

bob4026 Post Whore

My pro sport was considerably more accurate than my current 98.

What is this ‘stringing’ of which you speak?

If you mean a group looks like a vertical string, mine does it. :(

Teuchter Boy and StellaArtois Sr like this.
  5. StellaArtois Sr

Unfortunately that's the problem Bob. As yet I have not been able to fix it,I am tempted to send it back and get Weihrauch to fix it, but I have some things to try
    when I am able to first.

bob4026 likes this.
  6. Teuchter Boy

Teuchter Boy Engaging Member

Td-boy the prosport I have is beech and is quite a bit heavier. Looking again at the results the fact that the HW98 is shooting 177 and the prosport 22 may actually just be making the groups smaller as 22 makes a much bigger hole. Like a good politician I have changed my mind and calling it a draw. I do however have a new found respect for the HW98 and will hold onto it now I can actually shoot the thing.

In any event both very accurate springers and a nice change from clinically accurate fac pcps.

Bob4026 if it is any comfort I have now grow to like my HW98, initially I couldn't hit a barn door with it and just left it in the cabinet as a result. Glad I dragged it out this afternoon. Hopefully you can get it shooting as it should. I was getting consistent 5p five shot groups with both guns at 30 yards, subject of course to the odd wonky shot synonymous with springers.

bob4026 likes this.
  7. bob4026

bob4026 Post Whore

To be honest lads, the gun is ok, I quite like it. Not too heavy, not too hard on the eye and for the most part, very accurate. Ragged one hole group at 35 yds then it’ll drop one an inch low. It’s annoying because I know it’s very accurate and can’t be the barrel- must be the innards.

Trouble is, because of that issue, I can’t use it in the field.

Robgriff1 likes this.
  8. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Have you got a chrono? I,m sure you know that the 98 is notoriously hold sensitive. It is just a dressed up 95. I have gone the 95 98 route several times and i cant shoot them . Many can and many cant. To me it sounds like a hold problem in this case. Shoot through a chrono as many shots as you think will produce a low shot and an inch at 35yds should show on the chrono. I bet its hold sensitivity. I have given them up for good.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    bob4026 likes this.
  9. bob4026

bob4026 Post Whore

Struggled with my 95, even a tuned one and sold it on. Thought the extra weight of the bull barrel might help.

I’ll persevere for now and concentrate on the hold. After the chronicle string of course...

Cheers for the help

Bob

10. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

There is no doubt that it is a total waste of time sending an intermitent problem like yours to Hull Cartridge.

EastmidsHD and StellaArtois Sr like this.
  11. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

That is excactly what i thought. I ordered the 95 gun and a 98 barrel at the same time and received them both on the same day. The heavy barrel on the 95 made not the slightest difference.

12. StellaArtois Sr

The thing is Pete it's not really an intermittent fault, you can get a group of say 5 spot on then it drops 4 mildots gradually comes back then bosh it drops again. With the
    second rifle that has this issue, it actually goes high as well as low.
    I have a thread about this with what's been done to the rifle and I can safely say it's not the insides of the rifle. https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/pellet-drop.252280/
    It would appear that it's where the rifle locks that is the
    problem area. I think it was Cloverleaf that said it was a machining issue in the factory and the problem is an old issue, hence why I am tempted to send it back to Weihrauch.
    Bob I have put you on my friend list so as and when the problem gets sorted I have your name and can send you the details of how to fix it hopefully.

13. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

HI ADE I loath the 95 and all its close relatives. Its really a simple matter. Assuming that you have a good barrel. If the power is consistant and the chrono proves that. If the pellets are not all over the place and i assume you are comfortable with this. That really only leaves operator error,. In other words hold sensitivity. If the barrel is good. The Pressure of air blowing down the barrel the same each shot. I cant see any way it can be anything other than hold sensitivity. You need to put a huge string of shots through a chrono ideally shooting at 35yds through the chrono. matching accuracy to the chrono read out

14. pjgtech

pjgtech The finest wines, we want em here, we want em now!

Why do you have to choose? just enjoy them both! :)
    I go through phase with mine, sometimes the 97 is fave of the months, sometimes the PS, sometimes the TDR, it varies, but.... I enjoy them all... :thumb:

15. Geezer

Geezer Post Whore

PS is actually about a pound heavier.

I suspect the 98 has more weight at the front, which can make a rifle feel heavier.

nav2009 likes this.
  16. rabbitcatcher

rabbitcatcher Engaging Member

I feel you pain lads with the hw98/95 in .177.I can say my .22 hw95 is fantastic-even better now Dave Price gave it the magic touch.The .177 can give good groups but its hard work compared to the .22.At the moment the power is up to 11.7 with jsb express so will be looking at cutting a coil etc.I use it as a project gun at the moment until it finally settles down.It can match the .22 but not often enough but I wont give up on it.

Teuchter Boy likes this.
  17. rich79

rich79 Donator

I would've thought if you find a 98 hold sensitive then a PS would be the same for you! People always say a PS is notoriously hold sensitive, compared to a TX anyway.
    I will be after a PS once I've got the family holiday out of the way, I never used to like the 98, when it first came out it was only available in 22 so with its target stock I didn't see the point.
    But it has grown on me, then you throw an LGV into the mix & it gets complicated.

18. td_boy

td_boy Donator

If it's of any help, this is the first time I've heard of a 'stringing' problem affecting a 98...but now that I have - I know that mine had this problem as well...
    In my case, mine was bought new and was a tack driver right from the off - but then all off a sudden after a couple of months started just dropping the odd shot actually off a target card at 25 yds.
    I took mine back to the dealer I bought it off and he said they would take a look at it as they were allowed to by Weihrauch - he didn't find any fault other than too much grease, cleaned it up and relubed it and it hasn't done it again since.
    So in my case it appeared to have been an internal issue - but neither of us is sure what that issue was...
    HTH someone

19. squib

squib Busy Member

The Lgv shoots well, but you need to be arnie to wield it, and the trigger is not a patch on the record or AA unit.

20. Desmond.22

Desmond.22 Post Whore

Exactly this i loved my tx200 hc walnut, brass bling all over, fully WD tuned and lovely to look at but i could shoot my bog std synthetic 97 better more consistently so sold the tx.

Shame as i always wanted it to be my favourite

Teuchter Boy likes this.