1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Project Cp Bitsa Target Pistol

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Nubble, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Nubble

Nubble Donator

CP ‘Bitsa’ Target Pistol

[​IMG]

Now I like the idea of a target pistol with a stock that is a little more contoured to fit my hand and I’m not scared of a bit of woodwork, in fact I love fiddling. I also like the idea of making things from ‘stuff’ that you already have lying around (or what I refer to as ‘valuable stock items for future use’). I was reluctant to start chopping the stock of my CP1 so I thought I would have a go at making one. “Can’t be that hard can it?”

I had a few ‘Bitsa’ CP1’s and CP2’s kicking about so that started me wondering if I could make a fun target pistol out of the parts I had. This consisted of a .177 breech, bolt and barrel plus an air tube.

I needed to make or find from somewhere; a stock, a trigger and sear, a hammer tube end cap and a spring guide. I already had a spare valve assembly but with a leaky Co2 seal so first things first I sourced a seal from Ped. Cheers Ped.

Next the difficult bit of making a stock. I had a root round for a suitable piece of timber and found a piece of scrap 6x2 that wasn’t too knotty and had fairly straight grain but it had a slight split in the centre. I thought I could work round this and besides, nothing too fancy for my first go.

First an outline was drawn using the CP1 stock as a template. Then I drilled the 22mm hole into the stock that will support the air tube. My pillar drill doesn’t have the reach needed so I had to cobble summat together using a couple of workmates, No – not those kind of workmates, I mean Black and Decker workmates. I had to judge the depth bye eye with some careful measuring and guessing whilst trying to make sure I had a perfectly err ... ahem, square hole!

Once drilled I cut the profile roughly to shape using a hand saw, then using a 40grit flap disc in an angle grinder I put the major shaping into the stock trying it for fit every now and then. This took an hour or two. I then spent the next week or so (evenings) sanding the stock to the shape of my hand as much as I could. I used a Sealey rotary tool for the most of it using the 12mm sanding barrel band thing and I made lots of dust! Once I was finally happy with the overall shape (never totally happy) I still had an area around the trigger that remained unfinished because I had no trigger, so next I needed to get a trigger and sear before I could finally finish the stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found a piece of 6mm steel plate and using the trigger from a CP2 as a guide cut a trigger and sear out using a 1mm disc in the grinder. The plate needed to be reduced in thickness from 6.2mm to around 5.6mm. I lightly stroked the flap disc across a few times and finished by hand with a 6” file as was 90% of the shaping to both trigger and sear plate. I used a grinding disc in the grinder to get a rough concave shape to the trigger and then filed with a 6” half round file. I then went over with a 4” needle file to remove the burrs and gouges before polishing the sear with wet ‘n dry. I used a fine whetstone on the bench grinder to put the small 20° bevel for the hammer at one end of the sear [hammer latch] and then finished with wet ‘n dry. I didn’t bother polishing the trigger as I just wanted to see if it worked or not so you may still see scratches in the photo!!

[​IMG]

I managed to reproduce the 2 stage operation so my design is as the original although I admit to the fact that the 1st stage hole that runs at an angle thru the trigger is about half a mm off centre which really bugs me. Having said that I’m happy with the overall effect and it does the job (hopefully).

The trigger spring locating hole was drilled in the sear and I drilled the holes for the locating pins in the trigger.

[​IMG]

I also tapped out the holes in the trigger housing (the bit welded to the air tube). I used flat bottom grub screws to replace the original locating pins (which I didn’t have). These are a perfect fit, they finish it off nicely and look like they should be there. The trigger was assembled with taper point grub screws for the 1st and 2nd stage and one of my light springs cut to 10mm.

I had an original CP2 end cap but these are crap and I didn’t want to use it so had to now try and work out how I could overcome the problem. Long story short I found something round just 1mm less dia so I used that. I cut it to length then drilled a 4mm hole in the end (outside) of the end cap and straight thru the body (side) at 90°. I then sunk a 12mm hole in the opposite (inside) side to provide the recess to locate the spring guide. The outside hole was tapped to M4.

The closest thing I had to a spring guide was an M8 coach bolt. With the bench grinder I gradually reduced the head of the bolt to fit the 12mm hole in the end cap and then removed half a mm off the shank diameter before cutting to length and finishing the end. If my calculations are correct the base of the guide and end cap project out into the body (hammer tube) by a couple of mm more in the theory I will have less play past the point where the hammer and trigger engage and I can also reduce the length of the spring slightly.
    This shows the spring guide and end cap before tidying up.
    [​IMG]

Test fitting everything into the stock for the first time I notice that the stock was pressing against the base of the sear plate. I also noted the position of the trigger. The action was removed and the final shaping done. The whole stock was then sanded to remove any scratches or blemishes. It was then given 4 good coats of Nath’s gunstock oil leaving 24 hours between coats. Then a good few coats of Nath’s gunstock wax rubbing it in well into the grain using my finger. For a crappy piece of timber this really made the grain pop a little more.

I cut one of my light hammer springs to a calculated 65mm and assembled everything with a final clean and lube. I had an old Hawke red dot so popped that on rather than using open sights and fitted it as far back as I could. I also fitted the standard mod that comes with the CP2.

Shooting it...

I still needed a trigger guard but I couldn’t wait to try it out the first chance I had which was today. It was cold, damp, very light drizzle and horrible but I just couldn’t wait. I rattled off 40 shots, tweaking the sights and just playing. I then shot another 60 or more with it on a bean bag. We are now up to 120 shots and still the same Co2 bulb. I did away with the bean bag having got it somewhere close and shot 1 handed until the bulb ran out. Trouble is it didn’t!!!!….. it got dark. I was up to 200 shots from the same bulb and it was still going. Blimey! I was expecting a high shot count but not quite that high.

[​IMG]

The trigger works fine. There is a tiny bit of lateral wobble but this I don’t mind as it was really an exercise to see if I could actually make one that works! Now I’m thinking of making one in brass that is set back a little more and a better fit. Trigger pull is light. A nice few smooth mm of 1st stage before the firm but light resistance of the 2nd stage.

The gun cocks nice and easy, the bolt locates positively when pulled back and travels around 1mm past the point it needs to so all good there.

I think the spring or spring guide may need modifying. After around 160 shots the spring guide dislocated and I couldn’t cock the gun. I quickly took the stock off, then the end cap, re-seated the spring guide and carried on.

Overall I am very happy with it. The stock fits very comfortably in my hand with either thumb up or thumb down. I would have preferred a little more width around the base of the grip. Next time perhaps. It has kept me occupied for more than a few evenings and the best bit is that the only item I had to buy, other than the Co2 seal was an M4 stainless steel cap bolt for the end cap.

Now that bit I like.

The most annoying part of all was the stock. The inside relief and shaping I was very proud of when I first cut it out. All by hand and perfect to the mm. When I came to fit the action I found that the trigger housing (the bit welded to the tube) was welded on at an angle so I had to continually keep shaving bits out here and there to make it fit right. This took ages, flippin ages and the results, even tho you don’t see ‘em are not as pretty as I would have liked. Having said that the action fits with a satisfying dunk as it finally locates into place. I also think the stock would have looked better darker and I fancy a go at stippling too.

200 shots and still going...

[​IMG]

Well done if you stuck it out this far. Hope it wasn't too boring!

Cheers
    Nubble
    :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

Nubs that’s superb buddy, I really enjoyed reading this and the work is most impressive.

Nubble likes this.
  3. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Nice 1. Cheers Mikey.

My first vote lol. :thumb:

It's been very enjoyable to build. At times I have been more excited than you at Christmas at the thought of completing one part and moving onto the next. ;)

Blue BSA and mikeyhall1 like this.
  4. Dennyboy

Dennyboy Engaging Member

Nice work..:up:

Blue BSA and Nubble like this.
  5. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Thank you very much.

6. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Not bad for an amateur I guess ;):D Bloody nice bit of work their Nubbs :up:

Nubble likes this.
  7. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Amateur indeed, praise indeed.

8. Nubble

Nubble Donator

EDIT
    One thing I forgot to mention is just how delightfully quiet it is. I couldn't believe it the first time I pulled the trigger. The pellet hitting the paper target was louder than the gun. I will chrono it at some point to see exactly how low it is running.

Cheers all

That hurts likes this.
  9. QuoVadis69

QuoVadis69 Donator

Fantastic work mate ! :up:

Nubble likes this.
  10. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Nice 1 QV.
    Cheers

grahamtdi likes this.
  11. grahamtdi

grahamtdi Member

I enjoyed that being a biased cp2 owner ,Thanks

Nubble likes this.
  12. ped

ped Keyboard Hero

made a nice job of that
    I'd keep an eye on the contact point of the sear for wear and it would be best hardened but you'd have to case harden it
    might even have a cp1 trigger guard in my spares box

Nubble likes this.
  13. pjgtech

pjgtech Sleep, eat, work, eat, chillout, sleep, repeat.

Nice write up, thank you. :thumb:

Nubble likes this.
  14. Patton

Patton Jack Reacher's big brother

Thar looks great. Nice work.

Nubble likes this.
  15. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Thank you. I can't believe how much I enjoy shooting these things.

16. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Cheers @ped

I might like that trigger guard off you. Been wondering what I could find to make one from ????

I'll heed your advice and thanks for the seals. It was that seal that started the project off! :D

ped likes this.
  17. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Thank you Peter.

18. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Thank you very much Patton.

All of your comments are very much appreciated guys.

Patton likes this.
  19. ped

ped Keyboard Hero

i'll have a look for it my mate John does brass ones though if I can't find it

Nubble likes this.
  20. Rm29

Rm29 Currently obsessed with silencers

Great job. I like it, you can now make me one with the rest if your spare bits.

Rich

Nubble likes this.
  21. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Cheers Rich. ;)
    I'll have a root around on the bench see what I can find. :D

22. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Addendum.

Photo showing trigger housing. Pins removed and tapped to M3. Should have taken pic from underneath but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Patton likes this.
  23. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Excellent Nubbs! One could almost believe you are hooked on CP1's!
    Thanks for such an entertaining and informative article.
    Jim:up:

Nubble likes this.
  24. Paul55

Paul55 Keyboard Hero

Wow, what a great read & an awesome job with your build. I can't wait to get my own CP1, I've got your spring kit waiting & ready.

Nubble likes this.