1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

project 77

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by martin22, Sep 13, 2014.

1. martin22

martin22 Donator

after finishing the 80 im keen to get the wheels turning on the mk1 hw77 ive recently aquired,if im honest i spent a lot more than i should have on the 80 and although its turned out a superb rifle im keen to keep the costs down as much as possible on this rifle,the only things im shelling out for is a reblue and tune

to be honest the metal work considering its 30 year old wasnt to bad and ive seen a lot newer rifles in a lot worse condition but i want it prestine so the metal work is with colin molloy as we speak,i was going to have a go at blueing it myself but ive heard to many bad reports about cold blueing

internals being the mk1 its the legendry 25mm piston so already a great start for a silk smooth fireing cycle,but its going off to dave (wonkey donky) for a full tune which will include tp optimisation,possibly reduce the swept volume slightly,o ring conversion on the piston,the usuall new spring/guides/polish/debur ect ect

stock i know some of you will have seen my threads recently,ive considered tyro,thumbhole,sporter and just kept going round in circles,but being a mk1 and considering these are getting harder to find ive decided to refurb the original stock which will also keep the costs down

scope wise considering this is a legendary classic 80's rifle theres no other option than legendry classic 80's glass so its an old jap lense tasco ag 2-7x32ao

moderator im not sure it will really need one after the tune but if i feel it would benefit ill cross that bridge when i get to it

so anyway heres the rifle i started with and before i sent the metal work off to colin
    [​IMG]

once i recieve the metal work back i will add pics before i send it off to be tuned
    heres the stock which again for 30 year old isnt to bad but ive decided to have a go at refurbing it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i then stripped it with green nitromorse,i had to go through the process a good few times to remove the old finish (nitromorse aint what it used to be) and used a soft brass brush to work it in and remove the old finish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then i sanded with 600 grit sandpaper and then 0000 wire wool,i then bleached the wood useing household bleach,this got rid of the majority of old stain still in the wood and also raised the fibres,i then went back over it with the wire wool until an absolute smooth finish was achieved

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now after all the hard work preping the stock i dont want to ruin it by a poor choice in finish so a little experimenting was done,ignore no.1 that was just a moment of insanity,bare in mind the more coats added the darker it will get but at least i get a rough idea

[​IMG]

anyway the first coat has gone on and it will be a coat a day for the next 10-14 days or untill i reach the desired shade,once done ill then decide whether to add a couple of coats of true oil or ccl ect but i will update as things progress,got to admit though im a little nervous

[​IMG]

thanks for reading and for those interested ill update as and when progress is made :up:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  2. landymick

landymick Very Active

Good project Martin,i think i'm keeping a standard stock on mine.

3. Denzle

Denzle Donator

Will follow your progress with interest. I just love these posts.

4. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Nice one ,watching for tips as I have a old 80 stock to refurb at present. I used b c walnut last time but tempted to use a spirit stain next to really bring out grain and either spray lacker or true oil .
    I get nervous too doing 're finish as I've only done one or two .
    Love these threads ,bring it on

5. JD

JD Donator

Had you thought of having the cheek piece made adjustable on the standard 77 stock.

Weihrauch did offer a 77 with an adjustable cheek piece, I've only ever seen one.

And pray tell Martin, which parts are you having re-blacked ?

6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Will enjoy reading this, Martin. If this one turns out as good as the HW80 did you'll have a right pair of belters.

7. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

I too have a mark 1 HW77 but no time to play with it. (just moved house)
    Can anyone out there give me Dave (wonkey donky) details so that I can ask him for a 'tune up' quote. I can probable manage to do the stock.

8. martin22

martin22 Donator

cheers mick,to be honest i dont think the standard stock looks out of place with a good finish,ive got the stock here and got various things in the shed to refinnish it so hopefully i can get a good result and save a few quid

thanks hope you enjoy,did you see the 80 thread i did recently?

im nervous as hell as im no expert in stock finishing,if i get good results though i will add a post with the exact process i did,ive only ever refinished 1 stock and that was a mk3 77,i realise now though i didnt put no where near enough effort into the prep
    View attachment 103578 View attachment 103579 View attachment 103580 View attachment 103581

i didnt john but to be honest i do find the standard stock comb height quite comfortable with the 32 lense scope on low mounts,its something i could consider down the line though,once ive had it out in the field ill see whats what
    at the min ive only had the action and underlever blued although after someone whispered in my ear i did enquire about getting the comp tube blued also,trouble is after talking to dave the comp tube can be a b***werd to drill apperently and ideally it needs to be drilled first for the buttons then sent off to be blued so it would be a headache for me so for now :D ive held off with that thought

9. martin22

martin22 Donator

cheers owen,fingers crossed :)

hes a member on here,when i spoke to him last he did say he was cutting his workload down considerably as he's now semi retired so may not take any new customers on,but if he does tune your rifle for you i can assure you it will be something very special and on parr if not better than any other top name tuners out there :up:
    http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/member.php/27124-wonky-donky

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  10. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Thanks Martin.

11. JD

JD Donator

Whats the turn around for getting the parts back from the reblack Martin ?

This could give you time to consider your options on the 77k, a blacked com tube looks very nice and will match in with the rest of the rifle, this still leaves you with how to finish off the muzzle end, trigger options and if a different stock to the standard would float your boat.

Are you in a rush ?

I can see why they limit you to 70mph in the works van now. lol ; )

12. martin22

martin22 Donator

i should have the parts back anytime,one of the problems ive got is colin told me the underlever catch is aluminium so he cant blue it,but i have a mate who does powdercoating so my plan was to modify the catch then have it powdercoated,but yesterday while looking at the catch i thought this feels to heavy for ally and looks like a blued finish so got a magnet and its bloody magnetic!
    so then that made me think if the barrell ect is freshly blued,then a powder coated latch then whatever colour silencer it just wont look right,and it would be more time/money and hassle to send the latch off after modifying and i also need to get it sent over to dave for tuning,so yesterday afternoon before i set off to work i bit the bullet and ordered a venom slimtech mod specifically for the 77 again blued to match the barrel
    the stock ive still not discounted a custom as im still a bit 50/50 on how the refinish of the standard stock is going to turn out but i will add a few update pics soon
    "I can see why they limit you to 70mph in the works van now" ....i dont know what you mean :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  13. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Omg your not kidding about nitromores not being as good as it was.
    I'm on my fourth treatment ,top layers came off easily but the closer the wood the harder it is.
    Keep at it with the stock ,custom jobbies look good but you've put in the effort so far I'm sure it will look great.
    ive seen some stunning re finishes on standard stocks with nice grain.
    Another great project here ,nice one

14. martin22

martin22 Donator

one of the biggest problems i found is the chequering,i litterly had to give it loads of coats and use a toothbrush to work it in,i still couldnt get all the finish off so ended up useing a stanly knife blade to scrape the stubborn bits out,the other problem ive found is the rest of the stock i could smooth the raised fibres down with 0000 wire wool but the fibres on the chequering are still raised so it seems to be leaving the chequering dark and tacky
    im still unsure how its going to finish up yet and ive a feeling im not going to be happy with the end result but time will tell
    anyway heres the results with 3 coats and after flatting back with wire wool ready for another coat
    [​IMG]

and here it is just after the 5th coat,was still wet/tacky in the picture,and on the last 2 coats id changed the mix a little as you can see to try and match the old finish, im not sure it was a wise move though so honest opinions appreciated?(even if there negative)
    i will add another pic tomorrow of the 5th coat flatted back to see what its looking like,thanks
    [​IMG]

heres the old finish to compare

[​IMG]

if im honest though i think i prefered the picture after the 3rd coat and after flatting back,starting to think that shade sealed with ccl or something would have looked nice :(

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  15. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Looks pretty nice to me , I did a old original 35 stock years ago and using a spirit stain I think mahogany it was it looked ok until I varnished it with a high gloss then it really looked good . It picked out grain .
    problem is I only think it was mahogany Colron spirit but it could have been a few others I had .
    going to try tru oil high gloss finish ,still spirit stain .
    I didn't like birchwood causey walnut water based.

Looking just I have most varnish off but it appears the stain took well in the wood so bleech it is maybe .

you have some nice grain figuring in the stock it looks nice

16. landymick

landymick Very Active

I think that looks fine,it depends what finish your after.It won't be the same as standard because they used clear coat on a base stain not oil.The more coats that are applied the darker it will become.
    I prefer standard stocks especially Beech ones to have a standard type finish & Walnut stocks to have oil finish.Like the old HW35E & Luxus do look better when oiled instead of their original finish .The new type HW35E about 200**** serial number now has a deep brown stain & some form of oil finish,they look quite nice.
    As for yours if you don't like it you can start again or change it later its not everything:up:.

17. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I don't bother with nitromors any more I'm surprised anyone uses it cos it's useless. I strip beech stocks by scraping with a Stanley blade, very quick method.

18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Looking good, Martin.

19. Nickg

Nickg Posting Addict

Is this beech, it looks very nice.

20. martin22

martin22 Donator

it is beech nickg,ill add a few more pics shortly fellas to see how its looking today,as for the nitromors ill never buy any again,the stuff used to be brilliant once upon a time