1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with my HW100 & JSB exacts - 8inch groups!!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mx5er, Oct 11, 2014.

1. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

I knew it would happen.. I ended up 'needing' ;) a second rifle, so I picked up a nearly new HW100T .177

I was hoping to get out to the shooting range today for some proper pellet testing, but unfortunately something came up and I only had an hours plink in the garden (18yards).

I fired a few super domes, and they were literally pellet on pellet - great!

I then thought I'd try my favourite pellet which is JSB Exacts 4.52, and the best in every other rifle I've ever tried..... I could see their spiral flight path!! only one pellet went where it was supposed to, and the other 13 circled the target to produce a grouping of around 8 inches!!

I know all rifles are different etc etc, but what the chuff is going on here??? I know Exacts are fairly soft, so maybe the rubber band on the magazine is flattening one part of the skirt or something?

Anybody else had a similar problem?

cheers lads
    Neil

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

The problem is your barrel really really doesn't like jsb's;)

Try with the mod off

3. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

My only advice on a Saturday night is buy a .22 the group will look tighter.

Andrew

4. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

All the time. Can't use JSB Exacts 4.52 in my Hatsan 60s either as they are so loose they feel like they could almost fall straight through lol. I may try them in a larger size some time in the future, but not sure yet. I will probably stick with what works for me. RWS Superdomes 100% :)

EDIT: Just noticed the .177 part. Mine is a .22 of course, but I guess the principals are similar.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  5. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

try AA fields

6. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

Exacts are absolutely fine in my HW100. Did you clean the barrel after using the 'domes?

7. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

Thanks guys.... I didn't try cleaning the barrel after the superdomes... can it really make that much of a difference?

I'll try it with the mod off - I wonder if they are clipping it?? that would be ironic, because in my S200 it's the superdomes clip the mod! (that's probably not 'irony' but you know what I mean :rolleyes: ).

I've got quite a few sample packs to try - when I finally get a full day off!

8. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

My .22 HW100 didnt like jsb's. h&n FTT worked for me. Try several samples from pellet perfect.co.uk

9. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

both my hw100s loved jsb and aa diablos. nothing else. are you sure the barrel hasn't worked loose. No way a group at 18yds would be 8 inches its just not possible unless somethings loose somewhere. 100s are prone to barrels working loose when new.

10. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

It obviously dosnt like jsb all barels are diffrent jst because one hw like em dosnt meen another will u say its pellet on pellet with super domes stick to them simple

11. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I have tested many times with tins of RWS Superdomes, H&N FTT's and Crosman Premier UM's (before they ran out) and the JSB Exacts lined up on the bench. I can shoot 3 RWS, then change straight to H&N FTT's and shoot 3 of them. No difference whatsoever in accuracy, (apart from the occasional outlyer from the H&N FTT's) but they do that even if they're the only pellet I shoot all day. The JSB Exacts just keep doing the same no matter what. They just refuse to group. If there was a barrel loose etc, the other brands wouldn't group either. Others will be along to tell you to clean your barrel after every different brand/size/type etc no doubt lol. Waste of time and effort in my experience :).

As Dave said, if it's shooting good groups and the accuracy is great with Superdomes, just stick with them or try some other brands and see if they group even better etc :)

12. jantar

jantar Donator

The thing is that every rifle or pistol barrel despite how they are made are all different in some very tiny way or dimension. That is the reason why all barrels need to be tested with a variety of pellets and head sizes until the one that matches best is discovered.
    Look at my list of weapons in my signature (not complete either) and they all prefer a different pellet!

13. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

JSB exacts are best in my 100 .177.

14. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

Owned a huntsman previously that was crap with exacts in 4.52 but piled pellet on pellet with the exact 4.53.

15. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

Thanks for the feedback so far lads. I thought I'd give you a photo of what's happening - I shot this a few minutes ago... first the Exacts, then the Superdomes. I could only shoot at 14 yards this morning as I didn't want to shoot the missus (It's Sunday.. and she makes a great dinner).

I examined the pellets and selected the most perfect looking ones. Also, note that these pellets will easily make single holes at 30-40 yards in my S200, so I am confident it isn't a dodgy tin.

I'm going to buy a tin of 4.53's anyway to see how my S200 does with them - so I'll also try them in the HW100... but I'm sure you'll agree... it isn't looking good for my fave pellet in the weihrauch :(

[​IMG]

16. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

You could swear that it was me that shot these with the same pellets and uploaded the pic. This is what happens to my 60s with the JSB Exacts too. I did this at 25yds recently exacly as the above pic. I *may* be tempted to try Exacts @4.53 - 4.54 in future "just to see" as another poster said, but with Superdomes already grouping tightly under a 5p, I'm not sure I can gain anything from it?

Just stick to the superdomes :). In fact, you're probaby better off with this result as I think I'm right in saying that 500 Superdomes are a LOT cheaper than 500 Exacts? In my experience, the Superdomes are far better made too. My tin of Exacts are 50% skirt damaged :rolleyes:.

Also, I can group like above with H&N FTT's. My only problem with the H&N's is they do have a "flyer" every now and then which can spoil an otherwise perfect photo of the target :rolleyes:. Very well made pellet though with only an occasional slightly damaged skirt. Have you tried H&N FTT's yourself?

17. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

I haven't tried the H&N's in the HW100 yet - but I originally bought a tin for the S200 (which performed badly), My dad is currently using them in his HW99s, as they do very well in that.

I'm going to do a pellet test soon as I've ordered some sample packs, and I'll include the H&N's :up:

18. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

Well that's interesting!

I've just hand loaded the rifle with tweezers, and put 3 pellets through a single hole no larger than a pellet!

erm.... what do I do now? lol :scratch:

19. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

Two things that might help:

- Ensure that the O-ring around the mag is well-lubed with a light mineral oil (or that the pellets are lubed)

- Ensure that when loading the pellets into the mag you're not deforming the skirts by pushing them radially outwards into the slots on the outside of the pellet holes in the mag - JSBs are particularly soft so you have to make a conscious effort to avoid this problem with the HW100 mag ;)

20. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

getting somewhere...

Cheers Cloverleaf.... all checked!

what do you make of this.....

I've removed the magazine and scope and as the probe pushes forward, you can see it being pushed down as it enters the breech. The probe looks straight - so I then noticed that if I poke a small screw driver into the side near the lever hinge and push up on the back of the bolt, the front obviously moves down and the probe lines up perfectly with the centre of the barrel.
    at the point where I pushed up, I notice there's what looks like a spring loaded ball pushing up on the back of bolt.... is there a way to make this push up harder... and therefore cause the probe to point down, and into the barrel perfectly?

sorry I'm not explaining this very well.... I'm not very technically minded