1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with focus on camera set-up. So frustrating!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Jam1e, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jam1e

Jam1e Active Member

Hi folks,

I've got a Sony DCR-DVD92E attached to my Hawke 6X42 Reflex using a No. 5 flip-up and a 30-46 step-up adapter.

This set-up is for close up rat shooting between 5-20 yeards. Now it works well at around 35 yards but as i get closer it starts to go out of focus and at 15 yards is totally blurred. :confused:

I'm not a "techy" bloke but why doesn't the camcorder bring it clear with auto focus???
    Could it be that it's focusing on the rectical and not the object i'm trying to see?? :(

Or, is it the fact that my scope is a fixed PX and doesn't have AO??:(

Any help or advice would be appreciated......

2. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

Hi Mate,

I am not an expert with Video Cams, but I think you have to have auto focus off and also image stabilser.

I think this could well be your problem.The rest of the set up is a mixture of paralex and "fast focus" adjustment.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. kenhawker

kenhawker Honorary Member

Take it off auto focus and set to manual. Then focus onto your cross hairs.

ken

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  4. Jam1e

Jam1e Active Member

First off, thanks for all the help folks, much appreciated.
    I've found the manual focus.
    But now have another problem. I can either focus in on the recticle or on the object i'm looking at. But not both. Which ever i focus on the other is out of focus. However, this only happens when i am looking at objects close in. Say 10 yards. The recticle and object come clear at around 35-40 yards.
    Any ideas folks??

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Well-Known Member

I assume you are re-focusing the scope for the different ranges as you would without a camera on it?

6. Jam1e

Jam1e Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean as it's a fixed 6x42 "fixed" scope??:confused:

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Well-Known Member

So without the camera on it will be in focus at very close range and far out without adjustment? I have a 'fixed' no zoom 10X42 whice needs a lot of adjustment for various ranges.. I also have a 4x that still need a tweek to get in below 10m.

8. Jam1e

Jam1e Active Member

Looking just through the scope, at about 8 yards the light switch in the lounge is blurred through the scope but the recticle is clear. I can adjust the + and - indicated at the "eye end " of the scope which makes the light switch clear but the recticle is then blurred.
    I set it so the lightswitch is blurred but recticle clear. If i then look at a tree in the garden some 20 yards away. The recticle and tree are crystal clear!:(
    Now with the camera attached, i can adjust the manual focus so the light switch is clear but the recticle is blurred. If i adjust it so the recticle is clear the light switch is then blurred.
    It's so demoralising and frustrating!! AAAaaaHHH!!!!

9. Junes1

Junes1 Engaging Member

You need a scope with parallax adjustment, the adjustments on the eye end are to focus the reticle to your eye.

10. Jam1e

Jam1e Active Member

Thats what i've been thinking to be honest. But i'm new to this type of shooting/set-up so i'm just collecting info from people with alot better knowledge than me.
    Anybody else think the same as Junes1???

11. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

Yep as per my earlier post.

12. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

Most 6x42 scopes are used for 'point and shoot' stalking/hunting and will generally be parallaxed for 100 yards.

This leaves you two options:
    1, Get an airgun scope - which are generally parallaxed at about 30 yards I think.
    2, reparallax your 6x42 to much closer distances - that means the average distance you will be using that set up for.

Read this: http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums...2341-how-re-parallax-scope-airgun-ranges.html

13. Jam1e

Jam1e Active Member

Wish i'd read this post before ordering a new scope!:(

I'll prob keep the new scope for (hopefully) a .22 and .17 rimefire. As i said though, Hopefully!!
    I'm going to have a go at adjusting my scopes current scopes parallax and use it for close up work like ratting.
    I did find the tutorial abit confusing when it explained what parallax error was. But the youtube clip cleared the confusion instantly!:D

14. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

If you have just bought an air rifle scope I would leave that 6x42 alone because it's perfectly suited to rimfire ranges, point and shoot with no faffing about with focus/parallax or mag, and no moving lenses to slide out of zero. Less lenses generally also let in more light.

15. Jam1e

Jam1e Active Member

I've already done it:eek:
    Although it was very easy to do so should be easy to put back?
    That aside, it's sorted my problem out! The recticle is clear as is the onbject aimed at. Our lounge lightswitch!:D
    I'm still having problems keeping the camcorder recticle in the centre of the screen though as the weight of it pulls the scope flip-up down. I'll prob hav to tape it in position on the night of the ratting.:(
    I'd love the Nite Site NS 200. But that particular one is way over priced compared to Ken's DIY set-up!
    I'll give my set-up a go tonight with my ir laser in the garden at ratting distance. Failing that i'll look at alternatives....
    I'd happily hire a night sight for a few weeks if such a shop excisted, but obviously they don't........
    I think i'm spending too much time jumping back and forth and only skimming over possible solutions to a night sight set-up, as i'm worried i'll lose the only land i have that is FAC rated due to taking so long to sort a out set-up.

16. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

Sounds like your sorted ok to get some done now mate. Yes it'll go back just as easy. Amazing what can be done with some black tape or a cable tie or jubilee clip here and there too. You'll probably be able to use the laser on it's flood setting.