1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question pre-emptive police call

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by geffski, Apr 3, 2014.

1. geffski

geffski Active Member

Just been given a perm on an allotment that has a woodpigeon issue, going to be a great place to shoot lots of structures and cover,
    thing s I have never shot in a urban environment like that, (centre of a large village, allotment surrounded by housing estate.
    Is it worth giving the old bill a call, and explain the situation before each shoot? just so they know the score?
    Or am I basically inviting them down to give me crap and confiscate my rifle for testing (it is sub but I don't want PC Plum
    wondering off with it for weeks.)
    Any advice from others that shoot allotments? (I have 3rd party insurance)
    CHEERS

2. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Definately worth notifying them. My perm is on a golf course and i've had no bother with them when i notify them.

It's better for them to know than to turn up with the armed response team if they get a tip-off there's someone in the village with a gun ;)

3. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I wouldn't normally advocate informing the police about a shoot but considering the potential for people seeing you carrying this out and the close proximity to neighbouring houses I think would be a good call!

4. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Totally agree with this :up:

5. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Where are your missed shots likely to travel to?...........Ricochets?...............I suppose if you constrain yourself to only shooting at the birds well below your eye level, and shooting from the perimeter inwards, the risks are minimal? Personally, I think that there are more efficient ways of discouraging wood pigeons from an urban allotment than shooting them.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  6. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

I have to notify the local police as a condition of shooting on one of my perms. It is a routine call, you get given a ref/incident number and then you call it in when finished. Never even seen a policeman there but its nice to have the ref/incident number to hand just in case.

Just another question. Who gave permission for an allotment shoot?

I think the town council around here are responsible for allotments and my lot are a prize bunch of winkers. (a for i)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

I to was wondering who gave permission........nornally allatments are council owned and i cant see a council giving a permission to shoot.Be very careful mate.

8. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

But where's the fun in that. :)

9. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

This :up: if the R.S.P.B or R.S.P.C.A got wind of this I'm sure they would be after you there is no way you would be able to convince them that shooting the pigeons was the best option for clearing them off a domestic allotment. Shooting birds is such a grey area you really need to be sure that in the clear before proceeding imho :).

10. Relgubmot

Relgubmot Donator

I've ALWAYS called the police EVERY TIME I've been out with my guns, even if I'm plinking in a mates garden.. It means a 30 second call for me (where I'm shooting, what at/with, car reg) and potentially a lot of saved time for the police if someone calls up and says there's a bloke with a gun! You leave a mobile number and on 2 occasions I have had the police call me to check it's me they've had a 999 call about, and been told it was lucky I called otherwise they would have been sending armed response. Being doing it this way for years and every time I have called (which can be up to 3 times a week) I have been thanked for letting them know and never once been discouraged from calling.

11. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Happened to me as well, phone in, told them, got a phone call asking if it was me, told them it was, someone driving past had spotted a man with a gun! I asked if it was possible to arrest the driver for using a mobile when driving!

12. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I don't think anyone, certainly not me is suggesting that keeping the Police informed if you feel the situation warrants it is a bad idea, far from it. I think what is more questionable, is shooting birds in an urban allotment, whilst being over looked by houses and the possibility that some people and children might be very upset by it.

For me it's not so much the right or the wrong of it, more the possibility of us shooters gaining more bad press than the situation merits. Over the last say 30 years, there has been enough anti gun paranoia generated by successive governments and the anti gun lobby, I feel that whatever we shooters do, we have to be mindful of how we are presenting ourselves to the public at large. I would urge the OP to proceed with much caution, and make sure that whoever has given the permission, has in actual fact the right to do so, and get that permission in writing. I would also urge him to think about the consequences his actions might cause.

Now I'll get me coat, and go and sit back on the fence.......anybody got a cushion?:)

13. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

People need to understand where meat comes from, it is not grown in plastic containers then sent to the nearest supermarket. If they don't like seeing birds being shot then don't bleeding look! I had grief from a dog walker where I was shooting, I pointed out I was getting healthy free range meat, exercise and that they were trespassing!

14. Picklehoffer

Picklehoffer Donator

I agree wholeheartedly with the above.
    I'm pretty new to shooting but I've done some research as I want to stay on the right side of the law and do my bit to promote the sport in a positive light.
    Have a look HERE for the English General Licence for shooting pest birds....as I understand it, efforts have to be made to resolve the pest issue by non-lethal means before resorting to killing them. To be honest mate, from what I've read so far, it might be difficult to justify on a small sub-urban allotment, why netting can't be effective....or has netting been tried and failed?
    Just ignore me if I've got it wrong, it's been known to have happened before! ;)
    To be honest, I'd call the local cops and get a log number, it might save them a load of time and effort and you your gun and possibly your freedom for a while ;)

15. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

Ive always steered away from allotments as I feel there is way too much red tape surrounding them!!
    As stated previously anyone can see you and with allotments there are far too many busy bodies with a lot of time on their hands, I think the
    police and wnd wildlife protection agencys would have a field day with this!! I don't think you can say much about it being the only option to control pests as allotments are
    not the biggest patches of land, as such netting would be the best option!!
    Good luck with it but I think you may have trouble.

Jamie

16. jantar

jantar Donator

When I approached my local councils, the city, county and parish ones, about this type of permission I was told that it was a no no! Because the it is the council/s who own the land no allotment renter or 'association' can give permission. If the land is owned privately and sub let to individual allotment tenants then I would imagine that all of the seperate allotment holders would also have to agree to the permission and not merely the land owner. Its a very dodgy issue and as such I would make sure of exactly who owned the land and once the permission was given in writing then I would have a solicitor look at it as well as the Police.
    You have too much to risk not to make certain of where you stand on this one.......including confiscation of your equipment at the least.
    Don't take this the wrong way but there are way too many 'spectators' who relish reporting anyone with a gun and all that leads to is less respect for responsible shooters.
    Permissions are hard to come by and easy to lose. Not everyone agrees with the culling of any 'vermin' which is yet another obstacle because they too will raise objections if you are seen to be acting against their personal beliefs.

Really sorry to put the dampeners on your shoot, but be very careful.......
    Good luck anyway cos I too hate the woddies (flying toilets) with a vengeance!!!!!!!!

17. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

As others have said, this has all the ingredients to become a real nightmare, such as;

LEGAL right to shot there. An allotment holder CANNOT give you permission
    Surrounded by an urban environment which will have people who don't like shooting, watching you
    An issue with the General license as to the legality of shooting pigeons as the 'Last option'
    Surrounded by buildings so danger of ricochets or the simple issue of pellets straying outside of the boundary (an offence)
    A high risk of falling foul of the law re wildlife and firearms

To use an age old phrase "it's not worth it"

18. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Hmmmmmm, ok, but were you in an allotment surrounded by the world and his wife just waiting for any excuse to give you grief? The trouble is, the consequences of this situation are like as not going to cause grief in disproportion to what it is worth.

I understand full well where meat comes from, and I have no objection at all to anyone hunting legally for the pot. The legality of what the OP is proposing to do is highly suspect it seems to me. Oh bu99er!!!! I've gone and got off the fence again!:rolleyes::)

19. Andytattoo

Andytattoo Donator

im all for hunting out in the sticks but an urban allotment just isnt fair sport for anyone, you included, shooting in an allotment is going to bring problems, there are other ways of preventing the pigeons from coming, the easiest is usually just to tidy up all the rubbish left by humans..get a permission on farm land and shoot there, please try and not make people hate guns anymore than they already do

20. Nobby

Nobby Posting Addict

I'm on our local council and have been involved in getting allotments going. It's one of the few powers that parish councils have.

Allotments aren't always owned by councils; the council's job is to try to provide allotments if six or more voters request it. It's quite possible for the land to remain in private hands and for the allotment association to occupy the land by way of a lease. It's also usually the case that the lease will not give the tenant any shooting or sporting rights over the land.