1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

power tuning.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jjmac, May 11, 2015.

1. jjmac

jjmac Active Member

hi there, just a query about the tuning of PCP rifles.
    I've had my rifle little over a week now, I've put about 700+ pellets through it, the majority of those being on targets in my garden.
    i have a few permissions and visited one the other day purely checking it out for a day hunting there this weekend. while there i spotted a few rabbits. Now even though i was only checking it out, i obviously took my rifle with a full mag :D

i shot one rabbit at about 35 yards and it looked a perfect shot but it just seemed be scared off so i thought i missed. i checked my zeroing again on a target and it was spot on. the second rabbit was at 30 yards, perfect head shot just behind the eyes but was still kicking about and i had to snap the neck to kill it. this leads me to believe the rifle is considerably underpowered.

im not a total noob, i had a super10 about 10+ years ago and regularly took rabbits at 40+ yards and it was around the 11.5 ft/lbs mark.

is it just a case of taking it to a gun shop,, having it chronoed, then them doing a simple tune up to the legal limit, or is there more to it?
    for now i refuse to hunt with an underpowered rifle so want to get this sorted ASAP.
    thanks in advance.

2. milek

milek Honorary Member

A very noble stance for which I applaud you. Your idea of taking it to a gun-shop is sound; they will be able to tell you what it's running at. You might want to invest in a combro whilst there so you are able to test your rifle(s) yourself at your leisure. You have experience in hunting so it's unlikely to be anything else other than an under-powered gun.

3. themadspread

themadspread Donator

the experts say that 3 ft lbs of energy is enough to kill a rabbit but i dont know if thats true or not

4. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

a crono is quite cheap
    most guns are quite easy to adjust though some have anti tamper fitted ...
    cheers
    si

5. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

What gun do you have (or have I missed it?).

An RFD is a good start, you could always talk to XTX or Carl at Airtech, I have his number send me a PM if interested.

Both come highly recommended and will work out better and more cost effective than dealing through a shop I feel. Carl is a registered firearms dealer as he makes his own PCP' s.

6. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I would get a combro mate,

If you're able to adjust the rifle yourself, you can do so to the weight of the preferred pellet,

mine loves jsb exact express, no I set the power in the low too mid 11's:)

7. jjmac

jjmac Active Member

cheers for the replies. i'll take it to my local shop this weekend and get it tested, then take it from there, at least i know its a simple fix if thats the problem.

and biggaJ, its a walther rm8 .177

8. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Keep us updated

9. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

Thanks .... the reason I ask is because some guns have been reported as being under powered despite OEM claims, I think the RM8 is one that some guys have complained about. Nice gun though.

10. Kevin49

Kevin49 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Since its a 177 PCP I wonder what pellets you are using? My daystate varies from 9 to 11.7 Ft/lbs using pellets from 5.5 gn to 15 gn. I recently tested the H&N sniper magnum (15 gn ) to check if it sent it over the legal limit but was happy to see a max of 11.7 ft/lbs. My rifle does 11.4 with the Bisley Magnum 10.6 gn and I would reccomend you try these. As mentioned above the Combo Mk4 chrono only costs £49 and easly slips onto the end of the barrel to check your power.

11. jjmac

jjmac Active Member

at the minute I've only tried a few different pellets but on target shooting i found the webley accupells to give me the best grouping, they're 8.6 gn, i will try a few heavier ones and see if i can find some that still give me the amazing accuracy the accupells do!

i'll have it chronoed this week and keep you updated as I've heard a few people complain about underpowered rm8's!

12. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

Are you sure the pellets aren't going straight through being a 167at those ranges its v possible.

13. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

I've always found Magnums a little too hard for sub 12, and also tend to go straight through. Try JSB / AA Field, I've always found the deform well on impact and transfer a lot of energy. Even if they do go through, they tend to leave a larger than average exit hole and I haven't had a head shot bunny run from me yet.

14. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

so 1400 ftlb is abit overkill then Andy, dam it :( I thought I'd shot a bunnie the other day and I couldn't find it afterwards :)

15. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

Did you hear a 'pop'? ;)

16. besageezer

besageezer Well-Known Member

No one seems to offer RM8 tuning probably because of the anti tamper devices which consist of steel balls pressed into a socket above the adjust screws. If someone can find a way around these then I suspect adjusting the power is by the secure screws. I have a 177 purchased in December, it was not until some time later that I found it only produced a maximum 10.6 ftlbs recorded with JSB 4.53's. Sadly Walther nor Armex reply to my e mails so you can assume they don't want to know. I'm still looking for a way around the anti tamper as the power level is well below the level advertised at 16joules, at 11.6 it wold be a superb field target gun.
    I agree it a nice gun and very accurate but Customer Care with the Manufacturer and Importer is something akin to rhyming with hit.
    What has impressed me recently is a old Logun Solo which is as accurate as the Walther, much lighter and has a fair amount of shots per fill. Presently considering chopping the RM8 in for a FX then I can stick two fingers up to people just interested in Sales with no after service.

17. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Lol at the post above. Shooting up to 50 yards you won't see any difference between 10.6 and 11.6 so I really wouldn't worry about it. If it was below 10 with all pellets then maybe I would.

18. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you bought the rifle new then you should be talking to the shop/dealer who sold it to you. If you believe it to be below the standard you would expect then you should take it back and ask them to deal with the issue. Depending on the length of time you've had it you could ask for it to be exchanged or repaired or a refund. If you bought it used from a private individual you're basically on your own.
    I have no experience of the A/T fitted to these but the factory must be able to remove it so clearly it's possible.