1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Power is everything , isn't it ????

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jasglo68, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Jasglo68

Jasglo68 Its not about the size it’s where you put it !!

Hi all
    I've been hearing about how spring guns run so much better a lower velocities which is sort of obvious as there's less stress , lower recoil so smoother characteristics. Also how some tuned guns are running at lower energies. My own Airmasters tuned hw95 was superb at 9.8ft/lbs and so accurate, but now it's running at 11ft/lbs its still great but it just seemed better at the lower figure. Also some of the SFS tuned guns are well below 12ft/lbs . So this leads me to the question of how low can power drop and still be used for hunting out to 30yrds or so ?? Or for target shooting out to 50yrds ???
    I ask this as all my guns run between 11 and 11.4 ft/lbs so I'm thinking about buying a hw30s for use as a target rifle but also as a compact hunter if its up to the job. Many reviews state how sweet the hw30 is to shoot and how superbly accurate this little rifle is. So has it got enough power at around 8ft/lbs with pinpoint shot placement ??
    I look forward to hearing your views , hopefully for and against lower powered guns .
    Cheers

2. Speed

Speed Busy Member

i have my springer set for 10.5, you need to have a play on chair gun to see what velocities you get at range

you still need to retain enough energy at range to knock the target over iirc it needs 4.5 ftlb to knock a knockdown target over

3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I have one rifle that develops 9.2fpe and another that develops 11.3fpe. According to chairgun, at 50 yards they're giving as near as makes no difference 5fpe each. I don't claim to understand it. I have a third rifle that develops 8fpe at 50 yards. Anyone want to know what power that rifle gives at the muzzle?

11.6 fpe.

Two different calibres, three different types of pellet.

Oddly, of the two that develop the same power at 50 yards, one is a .177 and one a .22.

All this just goes to show that downrange power can differ greatly depending on several factors; I tend to set the rifle to fire smoothly and then forget about the power unless it becomes illegal, in which case it is altered.

4. lilman2106

lilman2106 Well-Known Member

i was told it only needed about 1.5 - 2 ftlb to knock a target over, and if it is 4.5ftlb i need to take a look at my pistol as i knock a few over at my local club with it. and im sure i saw on a site it only takes a small amount of energy to knock it over. if im wrong im sorry.

5. Speed

Speed Busy Member

a string reset target needs 1.5-2ft and a cordless reset needs 3-4ft

6. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I put my chrono out at 35 yards and shot strings from muzzle and at 25 and 35 yards. You can expect a good pellet to retain around 60% of its muzzle energy at 35 yards, but by 50 yards it drops to about 45%.

RWS Superdome muzzle = 11.22
    35 yards = 6.80
    50 yards = 5.34

Defiants
    Muzzle = 11.28
    35 yards = 8.27
    50 yards = 7.33

Some pellets won't hold a tight enough group at 50 yards to risk putting my chrono at 50 yards! Like Jack, that would still be my main concern. There is much the same power downrange as his figures, give my muzzle figure a bit of boost and you can see the downrange would be about the same if you interpolate the figures.

7. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

My HW100 was down at 5.8fpe but was still killing rabbits at 30 yards
    Its not the power that kills them, its the shot placement

8. Jasglo68

Jasglo68 Its not about the size it’s where you put it !!

So , in theory at least , a lower powered spring gun producing 7-8ft/lbs would be fine on rabbits etc out to 30 yards. I think I'm gonna give the hw30 a go seeing as it gets great reviews and is supposed to have a sweet firing cycle and is deadly accurate in .177.

9. hairyarms

hairyarms .

I have detuned my .177 HW99s to about 9 foot pounds which is about 700 FPS.I know from experience you only need about 8.5 in .177 to drop pests out to about 30 yards.I was going to buy a 30 but found it a bit too small.I have owned a .177 and a .22 95 and can honestly say the 99 is a better gun,the recoil is really fast and it doesn't jump about like the 95's.

10. 177

177 Donator

A few weeks ago I took my usual go-to PCP rig rabbit shooting.

In a spectacular lapse of all common sense I dropped the power down when my chrono told me it was over. I couldn't work out what could possibly have happened to make it over, and rather than investigate further I blindly followed along and dropped it to well within limits.

As usual, I zero checked the gun and then couldn't work out why my aim points which I knew so well were all over the place. They were so far out of whack I had to write them on the back of my hand :rolleyes:

Later that afternoon I lasered a 52 yard rabbit, head shot it just behind the eye, and watched as it did a back flip and landed dead.

The following day, when common sense once again stepped in, I cross checked the gun against a second chrono :rolleyes: and realised I was shooting 9.9 FPE :eek:

I've no idea what that translates to in retained energy at 52 yards but:

1. the range finder gave me a known distance
    2. the (re-plotted) mil dots on the 5-15x40 Bushnell Legend gave me a known aim point
    3. the shot was well placed and all I will say about the retained energy is that it was more than enough to get the job done

I have always argued for repeatable consistency over power. I usually set my springers up so that they are barely nudging 11 FPE and they shoot much nicer as a result.

If you go too low you can introduce horrible piston bounce and downright nasty recoil, so its a balancing act.

I've said it before but the 12 FPE legal limit is just that, a limit. It's there to work within, rather than being a target to reach...

11. hairyarms

hairyarms .

I think you can get away with detuning the 99 because its a short stroke? Its shooting really nice anyway,i wouldn't have bothered but I shot a .22 version and was really impressed.I would have bought a .22 but I have got about 10 thousand .177 Superdomes to get through!

12. 177

177 Donator

My .177 HW99s was purring along at around 10.4 right out of the box with very low single figure shot to shot consistency. Other than a slight and annoying twang it was tough to fault, being honest.

After some monkeying around it is now a lot shorter and running very nicely at 11.2 FPE with AA Field:

[​IMG]

I keep my old Theoben Sirocco running at 10.6 deliberately - it has the best overall combination of generally good manners, nice firing cycle and useful trajectory for sub 35 yard hunting at that level.

13. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Your right there matey, for the record Bry is a good shot and always had a bag full when I've been on his permission :up:

I have a hw95k .177 and it's running just over 10 ft/lbs and running pretty sweet and have no issues taking it out on a hunt, I can hit little spinners @35 meters for fun with it too :up:

14. 177

177 Donator

On Sunday when I was up at Stuart's range a few chaps who had never shot an HW95 or 99 played with mine and enjoyed geed results right from the off with them, hammering the 30 yard spinners and resettable rat target.

I think that says a lot for the gun that people who usually shoot something totally different can pick them up and hit the ground running...

15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

My first air rifle for years was a BSA Lightning (stop laughing at the back!) and I happily shot a few magpies and crows out to about 35 yards with it, and then eventually I got a chrono. I was amazed to find it was only doing 7.9fpe...

16. Springrrr

Springrrr Active Member

My RWS 48 puts out a lot of power out of the box but when I put in a Vortek spring kit, even though the kit has double control over the spring by a tight internal and external guide, the vibration increased considerably with a loss of accuracy. Instead of just taking it out and giving up on it, I cut 2 turns off the end and filed it smooth. That knocked off the excessive vibration at the expense of a bit of power but I didn't care that much about the loss.

The gun was shooting consistently at 860FPS but the accuracy was better than ever.

Pellets don't like to be pushed beyond certain speeds and will loose accuracy the higher it goes. Many people are just too concerned with speed at the expense of accuracy.

Here in the U.S. we can and often do, go well above 1200FPS. Many of the cheaper guns use speed as a selling point. My TX200 M111 may not be the fastest but it sure is the most accurate.