1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Power down a PCP

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by g13marcos, Apr 17, 2014.

1. g13marcos

g13marcos Member

Hello

I have a Hatsan AT-44 which i bought second hand as under 12ft air rifle. I had the gun chronoed by my local RFD and it came up at 14ft/lb and now he wont give the gun back as he says that this is illegal for me to hold until it is send to a gunsmith to reduce power. The problem is that i am leaving the UK for good mid May and i wanted to take the gun with me. What are my possible options here?

Thank you Marcos

P.S I was thinking of buying a regulator for it, will that help?

2. Egg

Egg Major Poster

The only option you have is to have the gun powered-down by the gunsmith/RFD until it complies with UK non-FAC rules. Once it's below 12 ft/lb you can legally take ownership of it. Unfotunately we can't discuss powering down a PCP on the open forum as it can easily be reversed to power the gun up: there's an unwritten rule amongst the various forums re this. The RFD has done the right thing by holding the gun otherwise he/she would knowingly be allowing you to break the law.

As to exporting it - it all depends on how you're leaving the country and what the laws are when you get to where you're going - obviously UK FAC laws will no longer apply if it's outside the UK.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  3. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Nothing else need be said!! Egg has said it all. Facto. atb Paul.

4. g13marcos

g13marcos Member

thank you for your replies

Anyone knows how much would this process cost and how long does it take?

5. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Shouldnt take long or cost all too much ONLY a licensed rfd is allwed to do the work so better letting the shop its at doing it as rfd to rfd costs will put the price quite high also check on the on the laws to where your moving alot of europe as a lot stricter laws than ares where airgun powers are concerned

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  6. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

Where are you going?
    Someone may be able to advise on export if they know the destination.

7. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

Hi should be a quick job to power down - if your going somewhere with no restrictions on power it could be done very quickly as whoever did the work would not need to worry about getting it close to 12 just to make it legal
    if the gun has at fitted you will need this off to power up anyway if you are going somewhere with no restrictions

cheers
    si

8. g13marcos

g13marcos Member

I am going to Cyprus. No restrictions there only the caliber which is .177. Thank you for the info. Now they just have to return my freaking calls...

9. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

As pointed out many times - that a RFD is legally not able to return a over the limit - sub 12FP - They are legally required to notify the local fire Arms Team

Might have had a Chance if a New Gun over powered - But a Second Hand is a total Loss -

Most PCP's are AT Sealed and Most Gunsmiths - Do Not have Service Kits -

As Stated a Air Gun Club will advise you to get it fixed before returning to their Range

The Law is capable of Exceeding the Sub 12FP Limit. With any weight or Pellet design

Yes Aware Some Dealers might offer to reduce it - but if Reported that Face a Large Fine and loss of RFD

BOB/R

10. g13marcos

g13marcos Member

Once again thank you al for the info

I will contact them tomorrow to know more since they are closed for easter. From what i understood in the brief voice message they left they will have to sent the rifle away for someone to do it. Does anyone know any decent gunsmiths in the Kingston-Surrey-London area that might be able to do the job quickly?

I am not sure if i trust them to send it to someone they choose as i want it to be done in the next 2 weeks!
    I know that they cannot give it back to me but i am sure i can choose to which gunsmith my gun will go

Thank you

11. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Getting it done In 2 weeks is a bit optimistic why did u take it to a rfd in the first place did u not check the power output . shipping between 2 rfds back and fourth can take up to a week then the rfd has to find time to sort it out this will depend how busy they are I'd suspect there will be others in front of u if a decent rfd

12. g13marcos

g13marcos Member

Hello Dave
    I took it because i needed a certificate letter from the rfd that the gun is under 12ft as i am traveling with it.
    I did not check it on my own as I didnt have a chrono and when i bought the gun 6 months ago i was told that it was under the limit!!
    The reason i need it get done quickly is that i will be leaving UK permanently on the 14th of May!

I would not have taken it if I knew that they would not give it back. And to think that i actually asked them what will happen if the gun was to be found over the limit and they said nothing!!
    That is mainly the reason i an p****d off with them

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  13. Egg

Egg Major Poster

That's a bummer mate - is there nobody you trust to forward it on to Cyprus for you when the work's been done?

14. g13marcos

g13marcos Member

I don't think there is to be honest

15. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Oxi kala.

16. g13marcos

g13marcos Member

Hehe! Not at all!!!

17. warrenater

warrenater Donator

Perhaps they could sell it on your behalf once the work has been carried out freeing up the cash to fund another as a last resort.

18. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

It will cost more than doing it privately.... but can you not enquire if the RFD can forward it to your new address in Cyprus? Ultimately it's got to be cheaper than abandoning it and buying again when you get there?

19. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

As Stated a RFD can not reduce the power - once logged over Sub 12FP

Especially now it's been published about on a Public forum board

Doing so makes them illegal - large fine and loss of their RFD - they can not Ship it as a FAC

Most Air Gun Dealers will not get involved in personal Export's - Sub 12FP or FAC - Time and Effort & Cost

BOB/R

20. Pluggy

Pluggy Member

Did you see it produce 14lb or are you taking their word for it? i'm not implying any dishonesty on their part but maybe they want you to buy a new air rifle.
    otherwise, do you know anyone with a FAC that would buy it from you?