1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Potty mouths when fishing!

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by engraver, Jul 8, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Ok Ive lived near an old carp lake in the wood for a good 25 yrs and didn't think you could still fish it, not seen anyone fishing it for about twenty years.

Anyway after a walk around the other day I found out leeds district angling club own the rights for it now, so I made myself £25 lighter the other day and went down last night.

Now I was really exited because Ive never seen anyone fish it lately, leeds is a good 35 miles away and people don't really know of this lake, but I know a lad in the village whos dad used to run it and he had confirmed there are some carp to over 20 ibs and I saw some nice doubles up in the water.

So picture this I got some bait all my gear shot down really exited, walked around and found a really overgrown peg, It looked fishy so I set up afer a lot of messing about and finally started fishing with great anticipation, and it is surrounded by very large trees full of birds singing and wildlife everywhere the sun was out I thought bliss.

Then two blokes turn up, and set up on the opposite bank breaking the silence with their voices, I thought they will surely calm down once they start fishing, not a chance!

One of them I Censored you not, started every single sentence with "FKN this" and "FKG That" Ive never heard anyone who put more FKN's into a sentence in fact if he had to answer a question YES or NO he would answer "FKN YES" or "FKN NO" what a complete and utter pair of nobs, why does it always happen to me.:eek:

I heard so many FK's in one night, I seriously stood up at one point and wanted to go around to them and say "look If ive spent £25 to fish this place and everytime I come you are here we are going to fall out quick" and in fact I would have given them both something to FK about,:mad:

Im dreading bumping into them next as I wont be able to hold back saying something about there use of the F word, Its a bit like they were soo thick they would say FK when they were just thinking out loud, I bet one of them FKs in his sleep, mind you I do actually lol

Im calling them them "the tourettes twins" anyway:D Sorry Rant over:eek:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Jim of Cov

Jim of Cov Donator

My experience is that Carp fishing can attract the worst sort. The BAA has one sort of Carp lake, and the Bivvy boys pile in there. Rubbish is left everywhere and they are always finding 'death rigs'. Avoid like the plague.

3. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Yep your right.

It is and isn't really that type of place, once upon a time yes you got the bivvy boys there but that was like 20yrs ago, so I know there are big carp in there.

But a millionare and local nightclub owner bought it along with having a rather nice house built (swimming pools) at the side of it, and he stopped the fishing.

Then I heard he had let leeds run it for a while, the next few years I think, and they netted the majority of big carp, but left some as its impossible to net them all.

So its literally not been fished properly for a long time, and most of the leed book people wouldn't bother coming all this way, and its hard to find up a little lane that you would never find, its in the middle of nowhere really, very very natural overgrown pond, but very difficult, I found today after trying alsorts, and catching a lot of perch!

But I would not fish a commercial type carp lake if it was the last fishing I could ever get mate, I know what your saying, Ive seen them, and they do attract nobs and litter, not my thing.

4. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

The commercial carp fishery I use never have an problems like yobbish behaviour, its clean and tidy, no dogs, radios or children/sunbathing women.

I just drift off to sleep in the sun with my alarms set.... its heaven.

5. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Don't get me wrong Steve I fish a lot of ponds just over the hill in Sheffield that have carp in them, but they offer a bit of everything for everyone, and you do get riffraff sometimes other times its nice, but the idiots always seem to turn up as you start catching big, Its sod law.

In fact I know one lake that fishes so well it is my favourite lake of all time, but it gets a load of youths on the damwall with pitbull terriers running around everynight.

But I do know of proper private carp lakes that are absolutely stunning and no nobs need apply sort of rules,

But the bivvy thing on general is not my kind of fishing as I know you get the types who are only there to get stoned or pi**ed.

Not everywhere by the way but I do know the types of places where the fishing aint important if you know what I mean.

so you cant tar every carp lake the same I suppose.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  6. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

There is a council owned pool near me that used to be privately owned by a syndicate many years ago, a friend of mine when we were in our early teens had access from his rear garden and we got to know the bailiff who would allow us to fish there so long as we behaved. It held some huge carp and I caught my largest ever pike there of 17lb 3oz.

It's now council owned and I've fished it a few times over the last couple of years but both times have encountered louts who get high and drunk there as its very secluded.

It has some interesting history about it in that the main reservoir was used for torpedo testing during WWII, it's a lovely environment but way too dangerous to fish alone and especially at night! - bloody shame.

7. David M

David M Donator

Sorry to hear that mate, sounds like paradise ruined by a couple of brain dead to me..! We enjoy fly fishing in rivers and stillwater and you would think that has a slightly raised etiquette being undertaken by the game brigade, but no, especially round some of the stillwaters. Really beautiful places but it only takes a couple of mates who have to keep a foul mouthed chat going from one bank to the other to drive us nuts. My partner is a very handy caster with a dry fly and we hear all sorts of chauvinistic comments drift across the water towards her when she keeps hooking up and they blank. I'd advise to just put it down to a bad session on the (hopefully) odd occasion you see them mate, or you'll end up with an argument and be seething all day......:up:

8. jonbodthethird

jonbodthethird Member

I think what people misunderstand is where ever you go you'll always get a knob ruining it for someone. Just the way it is.

9. JD

JD Donator

Engraved in you fecking mind for frelling ever. lol

10. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Been back to the new lake today.

Met a couple of good guys an older guy and a young lad, who told me the two idiots I have encountered are a couple of locals, not dangerous just like a drink (alcoholics lol)

I don't think that anyone who drives to a pond gets p****d and drives home, isn't dangerous like but anyway, Im going to have to face facts we are going to meet sooner or later so Ill just have to be civil, but I have gone the full length of the lake today thrashing nettles down on the paths, and found where they are chucking there empty tins of ale, in the fk overflow stream.

So If they say one word wrong to me, Im going to mention it, if it got nasty the pair of p*ss heads will both end up in the lake missing their front teeth.

Its just too stunningly beutifull for the owner to stop all the fishing on the pond, because of litter, they have already invested in signs all over the pond, and Ive found out today by someone I thought very genuine, that there are only 5 known people fishing the lake, that's how untouched most of it is.

Anyway Ive found where the carp are today and all I can say it wow! some big boys in there for sure, lots of 20ibs plus commons and some ghost carp.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  11. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

Sounds to me like you just encountered some Chavs. I used to call them Trendies or Caps when I was a y00f, for obvious reasons. None of them seem to be able to form a sentence without 'f00k' in it. Often tiems I'd have liked to have a pistol with me to remove this breed from society. Oh well, I can dream! :p

12. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

That's one reason I like rivers, no bivy brigade with three rods out all over the lake, no bite alarms, no mobile phones, wild fish, nice and quiet, just the sounds of nature and running water. The one good thing about all these carp puddles, is you can have a stretch of river to your self.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  13. eagle1980

eagle1980 Engaging Member

This is one of the main reasons I was looking to swap to fly fishing or I tend to find small lakes on farms, 2 lakes I used to fish on have been ruined by the bivvy brigade