1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Postage Rates

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by Soximus, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Soximus

Soximus Busy Member

Behind you! Mwhahahahah Just kidding. Christchurch
    Is it me or are UK businesses taking the yellow, warm stuff?

I went to buy some small plastic d-rings for webbing.

A packet of 10 cost 0.99p on eBay, delivered, from China.

Now I know there was a 7 - 10 day wait, which I don't mind, but I thought sod this, I'm getting fed up of funding China and diluting UK business opportunities so went about finding the said items in the UK.

I found exactly what I wanted on a UK site, pack of 10, £1.20p. I thought that's great I'll buy from these guy's and give my trade to a UK supplier.

Went to checkout, please bear in mind that the website even state these items weigh 35grams, and was asked to pay £3.60 for postage!!!

So, £4.80p to buy in UK, 0.99p from China!!!:eek:

No wonder our economy is ****'d.

I know I'm having a rant but this really does make me angry because I want so desperately to support UK businesses but when I see this stuff its just not funny.

2. Margaret13

Margaret13 Honorary Member

Make you right seems to cost more every time I need to pay for something

3. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Its not the post office either, its the charge for packing, packaging time that they charge so much for. I know a guy who sells loads on ebay and he works out how much the materials are and how long it takes to wrap the stuff and charges accordingly.

4. Soximus

Soximus Busy Member

The thing is if hey had charged a £1 for the postage (Small envelope and 2nd class post even) then I would have happily paid the £2.20 even though it would be more....

A part of me can't help think that this constant increasing of prices is just doing their business more harm than good. I run my own software business and I sell online and there is no physical product to deliver as its all downloads so there are no postage overheads but when I lower my prices I make more money than when I increase them...that's a fact, because I get more volume.

It's the same with Gas and Electric etc. All constant price increases mean that we, the consumer, look to ways of using less, so the net result is that the power companies have a drop in demand which then equates to a drop in profits which then, you guessed it, leads to them increasing the price yet again to cover the drop in demand they created....its madness.

Soon we will be down to the lowest possible cost of a product/service which will be benefiting another country through imports and stupidly high prices in our own country for basic human needs. Then when people can't afford to heat their home or cook food the reality will set in and there will awful consequences.

Sorry, ranting again.....just makes my blood boil.......

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  5. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Unfortunately postage prices are sky high and envelopes/packaging not much better. Then if you add in recorded delivery .......
    The cost of doing business in the UK (on physical product) is very high. Obviously the Chinese have a very cheap system, maybe it's state subsidised but stuff can often take 4 weeks to arrive which isn't too bad if you can plan ahead but that's not always possible.

6. Soximus

Soximus Busy Member

Yes, the waiting time is the biggest drawback and also the returns should you ever need to.

Having said that I have got stuff that's come from China which arrived here in 7-10 days....which is more than acceptable.

I'll sound like a grump ******* now but last year I did not bother with Christmas card to anyone who I could not give the card to personally.....its just not worth it. This is a shame as also a lot of elderly people write letters to communicate with the few friends they have left.....postage costs must whack a huge hole in their pensions.....

What we need is less investment in the EU and more into UK manufacturing so we can make decent goods for our own people at decent prices we can afford so we start spending more money in our own economy rather than funding other countries...

And as money gets tighter, more people will buy abroad which will compound the issue further....

Arrrghhhhhhhhh

Might go out into the street and scream in a while...

7. XTX

XTX Donator

Sadly postage costs and bank/PayPal fees mean things cost a lot to post in the UK.

For example:
    You go into my eShop to buy some O rings for £1 (PayPal take something like 20p + 3% of that in fees),
    Post and packing for 2 O rings = £2.50!! (Again PayPal take their cut + the cost of the padded envelope + the label + the packaging of the part and time to pack it, print the label, travel to the post office, stand in the queue etc.
    I have to send things Recorded Delivery (signed for) because if you say the part never arrived PayPal will deduct your money from my account to refund you. The actual postage cost is £2 for a little padded envelope, the 50p extra I charge has to cover everything else)
    Still think you are getting ripped off?
    If you do then you are not getting ripped off by me, it is PayPal/banks and the post office.

I am not saying some retailers don't take the pee, my one supplier insists on using a courier even for a little part @ £9.95 + VAT, which would cost £2 with Royal Mail Recorded Delivery.

8. Sam s-o-t

Sam s-o-t Engaging Member

cost me £6.50 for 3 items weighing a massive total of 500 grams. some companies make money on postage as well as the product

9. JD

JD Donator

I think your be in the running this year Sox, for Grumpy old git. LOL

10. Speed

Speed Busy Member

i regulary post items that are 5-15kg and it costs me £10.79 each and thats with by bulk sender discount, i can only really charge £9.99 as thats what everyone else charges and thats without adding the £2+ in packaging materials

11. Soximus

Soximus Busy Member

Don't tempt ne...I'm just getting warmed up.....:D

12. Squats

Squats Engaging Member

I`ve often found it`s the fault of the automatic postage calculator on the website- one always tries to get £15 out of me, give them a ring and it`s about £2.50.
    But the price of posting is ridiculous in this country.