1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Positive Daystate Quality

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by NorfolkDave, Jun 24, 2014.

1. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

I'm possibly opening a can of worms here, only having had very limited experience of said manufacturer but, the one query I've put to Daystate in the past received two immediate replies one being from Mr. Belas himself.

The other experience comes from buying a secondhand Airwolf tactical (off the other forum), I cannot say I've ever shot a better rifle, and my personal list includes FX Verminator, BSA R10 and HW100. The accuracy is absolutely startling and the little bit I've done with it so far has extended my confidant shooting range in the field by another 5 - 10 yds. Build quality is faultless, stock fit for me is spot on and weight wise it's perfect. The trigger is perfect for me, although I know some consider them "dead". It's as near to silent as I've experienced. My only niggle and it has no impact on me personally is that the Daystate moderator that came with the gun is nowhere and I mean nowhere as quiet as the diminuitive twink that also came with the package. Actually come to think of it, the single shot tray is a faff to use, and I would say I have fairly average sized hands.

Overall I would buy another without hesitation.

Dave

2. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

NorfolkDave, in order to keep your pride and joy performing at top level, might I recommend an accredited Daystate Service Agent who runs a shop not that far from me? What Daystate want hundreds to to he usually achieves for less than a hundred (including parts in the case of my Mark 3 - it needed new batteries)! The shop is St Clement Guns in Terrington St Clement. Good service and a great guy to do business with!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Cheers Moley. I travel the A47 west fairly regularly to see Family in Peterborough, so easy enough.

Dave

4. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Exellent, from the A17/A14 roundabout head on the A17, turn right at the African Violet centre signed turning! Proceed to end of road and turn right. You are then on the old A17. Just after the 30mph limit turns into a 50mph limit, St Clements Guns is on your right!

5. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

To be fair, this is true of virtually all factories or companies who have dealers - it has to be, otherwise no one would want to become a dealer because the factory would be undercutting them. :eek:

As for the Daystate quality, I've now had about a dozen, and just bought an EV2 MK4 to try, and it's a nice gun, but no more accurate than my Panther and MK4is. This is no bad thing, all three are brilliant, but I've still got a soft spot for my Panther, it just feels right, the EV2 feels a bit "roboty" - yea, not a real word:D.

James

6. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

The Daystates i own now were built when the company still had their eye on the ball, and are for the most part really nice rifles but, i won't be buying any Daystates in the near future. I don't like the way the company has gone or is going in the last couple of years.

7. 177

177 Donator

I've only owned two.

Bought both new.

Both developed faults within days.

Both were returned (one of them twice).

Both were sold on after losing confidence in the brand.

Having seen some Daystate rifles stripped out their internals aren't anything to shout about. Engineering quality on the internals wasn't great.

My mate has three and I enjoy shooting his now and then.

I can admire them from afar given that some of them are easy on the eye, but I won't buy another one, which has less to do with price and more to do with poor luck in my previous two attempts.

8. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

I knew it was a can of worms.

Dave

9. 177

177 Donator

Not at all - I have nothing against the brand other than not being willing to risk a 3 for 3 fail rate.

My mate's Daystate guns are great - they look the business and work flawlessly.

Calling a spade a spade though, I did expect more of them when I saw them stripped out. The internal components really aren't particularly well finished.

Long may yours serve - I only wish mine had :rolleyes:

:)

10. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I upped the power myself on my Regal that's all and since then its been brilliant, I shouldn't have needed to but hey ho I know how its works at least.

One positive is it has Definitely the best finished woodwork on any airgun Ive ever owned, just feels tremendous in the hand, and weighs nothing bit like the old Falcons used to.

Its sat in my cabinet next to a 5 grand shotgun and got to say I can pick out imperfections with the shotguns checkering but not with the Regals, I know its done by laser on the airgun but who cares, its better finished than my friends Steyr stalking rifle.

Saying that I think the electronics versions are a put off, as in the end my old mk3 died on me, but when it worked it worked and shot unreal groups out to silly range, but in the end all batteries die, so that's why I went for a mechanical version and kept it simple, should last decades without worrying about electrics and charging batteries.

I think Daystate are moving away from the electric guns to be honest just keep and eye on their progress from now and watch how they introduce more mechanical guns in the future, if truth be known I bet they are sick of messing with circuit boards and batteries, the actions on their new wolverine looks a good unit better than the old airwolfs in a few ways one of the key features for me is the fact there is more barrel in the action for starters then the indexing works from the guns output of air which is clever, its just a beefed up unit and may be the way forward for daystate, they may use this action on another cylinder fed gun like the Regal in the future, Im expecting something more slender than the wolverine b in the future, maybe a Regal mk2 who knows.

Either way they will still sell, like they always do, lets remember lads they are british and selling in what is really a niche market, and I think we should get behind out british gunmakers more because look what happened to Theoben, probably the best airgun makers in my era.

I know a lot was their fault with gunshops refusing to deal with them in the end and no enthusiasm in their products, but I pretty sure Daystate have watched and learned a lot from it and are still trying hard to please, but their quality is suffering I cant deny that, maybe someone is getting a royal arse kicking as we speak who knows, but I think they should drop the LTD edition guns in future and concentrate on the quality of their normal Range guns, as bad quality was not something that was ever associated with daystate at one bit neither was poor accuracy.

In fact at one point if you owned a Daystate you had one of the best airguns money could buy, so come on Daystate get back to roots, and lets see some blued quality barrels and maybe some Gary cane style wood on the target based guns like the original mk3, that's what I would like, although keep some minelli stocked hunting guns in the range because I really cannot complain on those.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  11. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

There is nothing much about Daystate that is British, it is an Italian owned company, and that's where the profits will end up in Italy.

I've been told by various Daystate staff that the electronic rifles were less prone to issues than the mechanical guns, i have had issues with many Daystate rifles but, never with electronics.

12. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I wouldnt swap mate, not for an electric gun, Ive been there and like I say all batteries die in the end, the mechanical ones may need an O ring or a spring at most, action should last as long as you can shoot.

We have all had bad experiences with everything Im sure, but as much as I agree quality has suffered a bit on Daystates they still make a pretty good airgun, for now.

There isnt an airgun on the market that somebody somewhere hasnt had a problem with at some point, lets face it they are complicated instruments, but I like to work on my own stuff as and where I can, I think the frustration comes with people who are afraid to do so or cant because if complicated anti tamper devices that are not legal requirements.

Had this been an electronic gun I would have been buggered and it would have needed a trip back to daystate for my pants down, but these are very simple to work on.

Worst case scenario it is never going to cost what a new pcb circuit board cost if it decided to throw a wobbly.

Car manufacturers do exactly the same thing with back street mechanics not being able to fix certain problems because they may need a special tool ect.

That's why simplicity always wins in the popularity contest, that's why Rapids have a cult following, my mate always says they are as complicated as a couple of mouse traps.

As for profits and where they go that doesn't reallt matter to me so long as we can still buy our toys that's all that matters, I was gutted when theoben went over the pond, so hopefully we wont see another big name go down, cant tar every gun with bad experience there are always going to be a lot of good guns made, so it boils down to is your glass half emty or half full.

13. mazzachief

mazzachief Engaging Member

garbage customer support nowadays, too easy for them to say "return it we will fix it"
    it should never leave the factory low on power, bad finish on bottle and other things.
    i returned my wolverine twice and the replacement i got was .177 and not .22 i sent lol.

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Im sorry to hear that mate, that is appalling.

Im really glad I didn't send mine back to them now:D

15. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

Like engraver, love my Regal to bits, the finish is awesome (see my gallery) couldn't have wished for a better rifle and performs flawlessly, had the 'O' ring fail on the magazine and received a new one 4 days later - good enough for me :D

16. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Don't get me wrong, i'm a long time Daystate owner, i have 3 Wolf's, a Ranger, a Mk4is, and my son has a Huntsman, so we've always rated Daystate but, they're are not the company they used to be.

Our guns are now a pleasure to shoot but, they have had issues, one was so serious a while back that i nearly took legal action against Daystate and the shop i bought the rifle from. Eventually it got sorted and the replacement rifle is superb, and one of my favourites.
    I noticed the decline in Daystate a few years ago, guns going back with issues, being returned with more issues? The CS there now is appalling and issues with many guns are now common place.

They were obviously in trouble a while back otherwise they wouldn't have sold to Marrochi?

I also have a Rapid but my favourites are my HW100's. Daystate could learn a lot from the Germans ;)

17. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Ive got an hw100 also mate a rather special one if I may say so.

Probably a one off, because the wood is fantastic but Ive had to lighten the weight a bit with a aluminium cylinder and improve the dodgey trigger blade with a better rowan trigger plus a wegu pad, and still I grab for the regal time and time again probably just because its soo light weight in the hand.

Plus is does double the shot count so, taking everything on board, I would say there isn't a great deal to split them, although the hw is probably a few mm better accuracy over about 35 yrds because its regged but Im splitting hairs, I couldn't really pick one, but going on the fact I wouldn't ever get my hands on another hw100 like the one I own, Daystates regals got the average hw100 with a (plank stock) beat inmo, in other words it would take some hw100 for me to swap the Regal for, that's if I didn't own one already.

Where as my Rapid17 is better than both in regards to accuracy and shot count but maybe that's more about the way it fits me, but Ive taken quarry at 50 yrds plus with all three so for me they are all as good as each other in different ways, but the Regal definitely has them both and handling for sure.

So it just proves a good product doesn't always secure you a market in the uk, I know other issues where the factor of theobens demise like bad communication and difficult to deal with, just hope Daystate don't make the same mistakes, sounds like they need to tighten the QC a bit.

Ask ten different people what gun they like best and no doubt they would all give different answers, the OP was referring to something positive which is a refreshing change, I know when they are right they take some beating but its not really about which is best in anyones eyes, its just a positive which is good, as I admit I can be a bloody pessimist most of the time.

I think the problem is the fact they shouldn't be allowed to leave the factory with issues when they cost what they cost, that Im sure we all agree.

And even though Ive said in the past Daystate should ditch the shroud arrangement to facilitate a blued threaded 16mm quality barrel and also by doing so their guns would be more accurate (and they should bin their airstream silencer!!)..... but Im sure they would weigh a fair bit more, so you cant please everyone I suppose.