1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

poor quality of top labelled pellets peoples opinions

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by peterpan, Jun 26, 2014.

1. peterpan

peterpan Engaging Member

all my opinions will be to do with 22 pellets,,forget what your barrel likes ,this is about the quality consistant size's ,weight, and damaged pellets iv only used a certain amount of different ammo so i would be interested to hear about other brands of pellets and peoples thoughts of them as i want to give other pellet brands ago these are the pellets iv used ill start off with accupel very well constructed pellet but every tin iv bought have had 3 different size's in the tin which over distance will have affect some are tight some are loose and some just rite.shame but not good enough same again with h&n ftt great pellet but again some are really tight some are just rite different weights why should people have to sort and weigh out pellets h&n coppa coat jobbies totally awful fit.awful power out put but super quality ..rws series superdomes fantastic quality for price but seem to be alot that was different weights ..smk black domed pellets a bit like superdome very strong pellets and quite expensive but you have to get rid of the swarf what is still hanging off at the skirt of the pellet 75% of the pellets are all this way so more times than not you have to run your thumb nail arount the skirt to remove all the loose lead .crosman premier just same as accupel but only have two different size's instead of 3 in the tin .tried rws superfield cannot really comment on these as they was to loose for my barrel and accuracy was awful but i hear lots of good comments about them..there are many pellets i would like to try in my hw97k but dont like taking £13-£15 chances anymore hoping they will be a good pellet i know you can get tester packs .personally 20 pellets or what ever you get just isnt enough the only true pellet iv come across perfect size's and weight every time is air arms field 16g but even these can get quite a few dented pellets even though they are the best protected pellets iv bought.i would like to try some bisley pellets like long range gold .falcon accuracy plus day state range tried the li's but was really tight in the rifle i was using at the time .im guessing the jsb exacts will be as good as the air arms ..there are stacks of different pellets you can get from dbay lets have your top 5 pellets on quality weight and size consistancy alone.not what your barrel likes would be intresting to see which one comes top the most

2. themadspread

themadspread Donator

jsbs(who also make aarms)are the best ive used in hws

3. Yokidoc

Yokidoc Member

My top 5
    Milbro Jets , SMK Thunderbolts , Bisley Magnums , Milbro Caledonian and Crosman Pointed.
    No complaints what so ever.

4. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

Had a problem with H&N FTT myself recently , every few shots one would drop out the group , it happened to a few of us so we decided the range was haunted . Mate said change your pellets see what happens so I went back to the JSB exacts I was using prior to 'upgrading' to the H&Ns . Groupings are tighter than ever now . Funny things pellets .

5. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Pellets are defo weird:eek:

All my rifles are on JSB Exacts in 4.53, but suddenly my Panther is throwing them all over the place and can't miss with H&N FTT? This is despite the JSBs being from the same batch, but a different tin? Just goes to show you have to challenge your thinking on pellets if accuracy suffers, the first reaction is there is a problem with the gun, because you think you are using the best pellet, you don't expect it to change diet, but it can. I'm sure this is more down to the different tolerances in pellets rather than any change to the gun, but there is no way to tell if the batch is the same, despite what it says on the tin.

James

James

6. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

PAX pellets all the way

Defiant for daily use
    Dynamic for special ocassion
    HFT - you know...

And tin of jsb exact just to feel the difference, not for use :)

7. Damon

Damon Posting Addict

JSB Exact Jumbo Express 14.35gr for me in my R10. Nothing else comes close in my opinion.

8. npmair

npmair Engaging Member

After getting some very weird results following a FTT 4,52 pellet batch change from my beloved Venom tuned HW97

View attachment 99028

I collected as many different batches of FTT 4,52 as I could get at the time and tested them. This is what I got:

View attachment 99029

All shots were taken at 25meters, always aiming at the center cross and after 10 lead-in shots were fired before shooting at the target.

Going one step further, following the same procedure as above, I did a similar test with different types of pellets and here are the findings:

View attachment 99030

9. jambo1984

jambo1984 Engaging Member

yeah I'm having troubles with my ranger I found it liked aa field heavies I was getting lovely fingernail groups.. I went out got me a new tin and now I'm getting 2 pence groups ..its so frustrating

10. jw74

jw74 Posting Addict

I've just picked up a hw97kt from a chap that has found that air arms fields are its favourite diet.he gave me a full tin of them when I bought the rifle.it was shooting lovely! Ive bought another tin and I will get 5 in a lovely tight group then 1 or 2 will drop an inch or so low,then back to tight groups again! I was going to try ftt or jSB but on reading this I don't know?

11. npmair

npmair Engaging Member

The ONLY solution is "trial & error" ;)

12. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

My BSA Super 10 was tested by an independent expert (John Bowkett) following a fettle, the best pellets he tested were the Defiant Ogive by Pax, the next best were Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum, the worst were my old favourites to despise, the JSB/AA lot. The same follows for my guns, JSB seem to be the worst next to Spitfires!

13. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Pellet head size is very important for accuracy.

The 4.52 chap - your rifle appears to prefer larger head size pellets. Barracudas went well at 4.53.

Thos who find the odd shot drop out - that doesn't make the pellets poor, it is just one or two in the tin that are perhaps a little smaller than the others. Manufacturing tolerances - buy MATCH pellets and they will all be the same size, they will also be more expensive, because of the checking of tolerance costs and the throw out costs.

Finding a rifle has suddenly switched preference...try cleaning the barrel and using the same pellets again.

I have to agree with Moley, Defiants are fantastic pellets. I have used them for years, not the Ogives, I haven't tried them yet, but the Defiant 14gn work so well I have seen the need. You need to give them a good chance before they work sometimes, my first go needed 120 odd shots before they started grouping, then they produced 5p sized groups at 50 yards and still do with the L size in .22 - if I use M head size those groups immediately open up to 2" and with S head size nearer 8"...go back to L and they are bang on the money again.

14. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Many who have tried correctly with a Clean Barrel and Action have Found Defiants to work in their Gun's if they use the right Head size

I have offered 50 pots of Defiant Pellets for Ages @ £1.00 per pot plus P & P

As they are made on Single Die set and with a lazer that measures the Slug before pressing - they have the same consitancy

Also Packed in Plastic and cardboard Boxes they do not get damaged as rattling around in a Tin -

But now past carrying if Shooters want to use others rejects -

Better for Pax to Export than deal with UK limited Markets - Joys of being in a World Market Place

BOB/R

15. npmair

npmair Engaging Member

That is correct and this is why I tried other sizes too.

However, my main point is that despite carrying on with the same pellet make and subcaliper (4.52 in my case), the test card proves that there are differences between production batches.

Furthermore, the HW F&t Special 4.51 - made by H&N and very similar if not the same as FTT's - although of smaller nominal size, they fit tighter in my barrel and produced very similar results with some of the "larger" FTT's.

And also, well did the 4.50 Barracudas !

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  16. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The OP was about quality rather than which pellets work in which rifle, so :focus:

Assessing the quality of pellets is not easy. I only buy the known 'brand' name pellets, I've seen some of the cheaper ones and concluded that they aren't fit to be melted down as scrap.
    Most of the time I use AA Fields or JSB Exact, depending on the rifle although I sometimes use Bisley Magnums and I do have some others to try as and when I get the time and inclination. One thing which I have noticed, and it seems to be contrary to what others have reported, is that the JSB pellets (this is in .22) have a large proportion of damaged skirts while the AAs are much less likely to be damaged. These are from undamaged tins and are always (in my care) treated properly. A new tin of JSB I opened a few days ago contained about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 pellets which were so deformed that I threw them away.
    I did weigh, individually, a couple of tins of AA Field in .177 (from different batchs) which have a nominal weight of 8.4 grains and found weights varied between 8.0 and 8.9 grains although there were only a handful of pellets at these extremes. I only did this because I wanted to check out a shot string after adjusting my regulator system, it's not something I would normally do.
    I haven't checked any pellet dimensions as I'm not sure that it can be done properly with a micrometer.
    Clearly a lot of factors affect the performance of a pellet in a particular rifle and it's not really possible for the shooter to measure them or to know how slight changes will affect the down range trajectory. Some you have to take on trust, such as head diameter and weight (written on the tin) but what about variations in lead hardness, concentricity, length which are never mentioned in the specification. Maybe it's best not to worry too much about it.

17. npmair

npmair Engaging Member

I suppose, within quality is also contained the production consistency of a product. i.e. the product remains the same in every production batch through time.

In the case of my example, it is evident that there are differences between different batches (I quoted the different batch numbers next to each group).

So are FTT's quality pellets or not?

18. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Most Wasted Design Pellets are made on Multi Head Rollers - So Each Batch will have different pellets sizes over time

As All Dies do wear in when using soft Lead -

BOB/R

19. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

do you still have some Bob? My .177 HW100S likes the 4.50 H&N FT trophys but I would like to try these defiants.

20. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Just buy a box of the M size and use the first 100 to scrub the barrel. ONLY THEN can you begin to assess their suitability to your rifle. A pot of S and another pot of L will then tell you which head size your barrel needs. Bob might be able to guide you better from his experience and feedback from other HW100 users.

Certainly the Defiants are super clean when they arrive, not a bad pellet amongst them and no swarf or black guff in the bottom.