1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question poor eyesight

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Brianp55, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Brianp55

Brianp55 Member

hi, as title I have poor eyesight, my question which scope size would suit my problem best 4-16-50 or 6-24-56 or does it not make any difference. scope will be used mainly for hunting. any other suggestions that may help also welcome. thanks bri

2. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Hi Brian. I suppose you would need a scope that will let a lot of light into it, I have a SMK 3-9 X56 Duplex Reticle in perfect condition going spare if you need to buy one. Hope you get your query sorted. Atb Paul.

3. peter9

peter9 Busy Member

hi, if he does not want it, my 65 year old eyes might need one, how much please,

4. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

Hi Brian, I think either will do. I use a Hawke EV 3-9x50 and find it really good. My eyesight is poor i:e Glasses for reading, computers, driving and anything inbetween. Of course my scope has an adjustment at the eye piece for adjusting focus for seeing the reticule (sorry, can't think of that bit's name at the mo). Hope this helps?

5. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Depends on your eyesight problem, I'd have thought. My son has double vision, and I have one long sighted eye and one short sighted, I also have astigmatism in opposite plains in both eyes. We can both hit targets now and again due to the scope doing the work for us. I think an AO scope would help and also one with a reticle that suits your eyes, i.e. one which does not obsucre the target too much, but one which you can still see clearly. As we age, the eye loses it's ability to open the iris as widely as a youngster, so massive objective lenses are of limited use to some of us, glass and coating quality becomes more important. I would try as many as you can and just see what does the job for you.

Dave

6. steevie dan

steevie dan Very Active

+1 on this try as many as you can, I had to go with the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44 cause it was the best for my eye out of the ones I looked at.

7. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Choosing a scope on magnification or objective size will make little difference to bad eyes. You'll just get the same poor view as when not using a scope. That same view will of course get darker with higher mag as per any quality of eyesight. Reticle type and thickness may well be important as will glass quality. Parallax adjustment will be of substantial benefit. There's no point in getting a scope that lets huge amounts of light in as only young top quality eyes will be able to use it. I'd keep the mag range low to keep the image at it's brightest, find a reticle that you can see clearly and buy the best glass quality you can afford. I'd also suggest that it's important to choose your scope after looking through it rather than by mail order to ensure best compatibility with your eyes. Also try with and without a wrap around scope enhancer.

8. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, i use 2 40s and 2 50s between 4 and 8 mag but i get the front diopter as perfect as possible and tape up with black sparky tape to stop movement

9. Brianp55

Brianp55 Member

hi, thanks for all the replies, have only just been able to read them, looks like I need to get to a shooting show and check a few out. my eyes are ok at a distance it's reading I have a problem with. was looking to go mtc viper, again thanks for your replies.

10. Jim-the-Jedi

Jim-the-Jedi Member

If close work is your only problem then any scope that meets your needs should work well, as looking through a scope is purely a distance vision task.

11. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Doyou wear spectacles?Iwear varifocals normally but find they are no good when using a scope so i've got a pair of single vision glasses for when i'm using a scope.I think a parallax adjustable scope is a must if you have poorish sight as it helps keeping things in focus as well as eliminating parallax error and good quality optics are important rather than magnifcation range,a 3-9x40 is sufficient for normal hunting ranges.

12. nick2303

nick2303 Engaging Member

had a similar problem after i'd refurbished my dads old bsa standard..

he could not see both sights and the target at the same time..

he was goin to the opticians anyway so while there he asked if owt could be done to help him..

optician suggested using a shotgun.... lol.,.....

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

where the iron sights blurred for him? no one should focus both the rear and front sight awell as the target at the same time, the target and front sight are supposed to be in focus while the rear sight is blurred

14. nick2303

nick2303 Engaging Member

he couldnt get any two of the 3 in focus at the same time...... lol....

he's managing ok with my s510 with the hawke panorama on it though...

15. meerkat1

meerkat1 Keyboard Hero

i need reading glasses and find the hawke scopes very good i`ve a hawke airmax 3-9x40 AO on my BSA which is really clear , i also had a hawke nite eye 3-9x40 which was great , i`ve got 2 bushnell scopes 3-9x50 good but not as clear as the hawke scopes they seem to gather light really well hope this helps .

16. Brianp55

Brianp55 Member

hi Patrick, yes I need specks for close up work ie reading which are single vision, my eyes are ok at distance. thanks all for the comments, all very helpfull.

17. Brianp55

Brianp55 Member

Paul thanks for the offer, I would like to check a few out first so feel free to deal with peter9 if he is interested. thanks Brian.

18. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

The Viper has a particularly shallow depth of field. Possibly not the best choice. You may well find setting the PA is overly important to see the target AND the reticle. Not a great feature when hunting though as I intimated all eyes see things differently so look through one before buying. Try scopes at varying ranges to see how critical depth of field is to your eyes.

19. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I am the same as you, always used open sights, then it got to a point where I could not see them, now use glasses for reading, but my distance is ok, 62 yrs takes its toll. Now have to use a scope, so long as you can adjust the eye piece focus, most scopes should do the job, but get one that will focus on an object as close as possible, as some will not focus on objects as close as 10 mtrs or less. Your local gun shop should be able to help with advice. Atb from another blind old b****r. Bob.

20. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Hi Brian have you tried using a scope without your glasses most scopes have enough adjustment on the eyepiece(ocular bell) to compensate for this.whatever scope you get make sure it's parallax adjustable and has a quick focus eyepiece as i find these more effective than the ordinary eyepiece