1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Please Help - New Air Pistol

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by TIGERDUDE, Nov 14, 2020.

1. TIGERDUDE

TIGERDUDE Member

Hi All,

I’m looking at getting 2 Air Pistols (both spring powered) for Christmas for me and my Daughter (she is 14 and has a Daisy Red Rider).

Just looking for something cheap for backyard plinking. I’ve looked at the Browning Buck Mark URX (as it’s cheap and easy to cock).

But any suggestions welcome and appreciated. Ideally, 2 separate guns so we have 1 each.

A millions thanks as always,
    Leon

2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 BRIT SEALS - M & M Products - TbT

Beeman P17 would be worth a look IMO

DRAGONBAIT666 and PBaz Barrett like this.
  3. Arrizabalaga

Arrizabalaga Forum Poet

Springs and pistols don't go well together, too much recoil. I'd look at SSP (single stroke pneumatic). Beeman P17 gets good reviews at a very reasonable price. CO2 is another option.

4. scooby1

scooby1 Very Active

beeman good value for the money

5. Pietro Beretta

Pietro Beretta Keyboard Hero

How cheap are we talking?

6. YepYep

YepYep Posting Addict

Hi Leon my mate~ if you accept the style and the functions of a Buckmark, I recommend the HW70 which will be much more powerful and accurate than the buckmark and just a same spring powered break barrel pistol . (Not as cheap as the Buckmark tho, but it's much better)

P17 is also a good choice. However I recommend the original HW40 which will be a more quality product for long lasting shooting fun.

If for plinking, I will recommend the recoiled springer more than the recoiless SSP tho....

7. marflow

marflow Posting Addict

everyone loves the P17 but there can be a real problem with them
    they can be very hard to close when cocking
    there few good spring pistols that are good or cheap now days, even in the states
    i'm going say a Crosman 1377 and why you can pump it the level you need and i think a young lady could handle the effort needed
    i know it is a spring pistol and the Browning would work also
    you can see it good reviews over here, low power and they made it in Pink maybe better

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Browning_Buck_Mark_Air_Pistol/2745

i think your on the right track
    good luck
    mike in the states

8. MoggyM

MoggyM FLM

9. marflow

marflow Posting Addict

the cocking effort of a Hatsan is 58lbs a huge pistol
    Gamo 30lbs and has mixed reviews
    and the P17 a lot

10. MoggyM

MoggyM FLM

The Gamo is just under £50 and not expected to shine.
    Hatsan for the father to cock, P17 for both

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  11. twodoctors

twodoctors Air Pistol Hoarder...

Sold my Beeman P17 a few years back. Regretted it ever since... Can't compete for accuracy for that price point.

Otherwise SMK CP-1 or equivalent is also very accurate for the money. I bought one from Poland back then when it first came out. Gave it to my brother...

12. YepYep

YepYep Posting Addict

P17/HW40 is actually a bit hard to cock (to close the top frame to compress the air). Even some adults thinks that's not a easy job if you keep shooting it for a while... Don't think a little girl can cock it even once... . For this reason, remember I read somewhere else, in order to develop and keep the kids interest in shooting, and easy gun is a must, so co2/PCP will be a much better choice on this part... Kids would only like to shoot but not cocking or pumping the gun...

No doubt it's the best accurate gun among the above list.

Hatsan Mod25, I bought both 177 and .22, played them a good time but finally I sold both even with one of them I thought I would keep... Too harsh, bad trigger, hard on red dots and scopes and the mounts...

Wondering why so less HW70 in the UK market as I just checked the gun-trader and found no HW70 at all... It's a well under estimated break barrel spring powered pistol. I love mine very much. 2 stage trigger, easy cocking, easy shooter, shoots 460fps with 7g R10, didn't see my HW40 has better accuracy than it in my hand, strong recoil but not like a beast as the HW45 which not affecting accuracy but give you much more fun than the SSP HW40...

And the pumper, 1377/1322... If picking this one, I will more prefer the 1322 as a better plinker which .22 pellet really make a difference against the pop cans. I have had my 1322 and worked a lot on it for a long time. The plain one out of the box is just ugly and need some work to be done to improve it... Then a LOT of work and money you need to put on it to make it better and hopefully you would know when to stop... It's named 'the world's most expensive pistol' for some reason... however, I found myself don't like the pumper any more and hate to pump 10 times then shoot just once and start pumping again and went to the more simplified 2240...

buryal likes this.
  13. TIGERDUDE

TIGERDUDE Member

Thanks everybody. Really appreciate all the advise.

After a few videos watched I gone for the Browning Buckmark URX and the Gamo P-900 IGT.

Now after some cheap Red Dot Sights??? (But I’ll post a new thread if that’s OK).

Thanks all

truegong likes this.
  14. Rayman

Rayman Well-Known Member

Have fun. I might suggest some polycarbonate shooting glasses if only for your daughter. It's a small risk but you occasionally get the odd ricochet when plinking. I bought some when I felt a pellet zip past my cheek when target shooting against a wooden backstop using my HW45.
    I always use them now out of habit even when shooting into a pellet catcher. I think I paid about £15 on ebay for mine. Cheap polycarbonate safety glasses would probably work as well.

15. TStarr

TStarr Engaging Member

HW40 with its lack of recoil, superb accuracy, modest power, comfortable weight, lovely grip, great pedigree and German build - worth the extra pennies and will last you both many years. Hard to put down once you start plinking.

pjgtech likes this.
  16. D_H_P

D_H_P Well-Known Member

If you can find one, Baikal MP53 .177. Easy to cock, accurate, nice to shoot.

Modski66 likes this.
  17. marflow

marflow Posting Addict

you know the Baikal mp53m is a nice little pistol but the newest one i have read has a rear sight problem
    i have the one before the last version and did a complete rebuild of the internals and there is a trigger trick
    you put a 6mm long m3 grub screw or something of the same size in the little trigger spring and that ends the take up

but that is another story

Modski66 likes this.
  18. Rifleman22

Rifleman22 Newbie

Umarex Walther CP 88 CO2, 4” 177,nice and easy to use, well made and accurate. My granddaughters both shoot this model, 80 good shots from a cartridge , not as difficult to use as a springer pistol they also make a 6” model might be a little bit heavy to start with. Plenty of videos on u tube, good luck!!