1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Please can someone clear up the silicone debate!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mx5er, Oct 2, 2014.

1. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

I was talking to the missus's nephew today about airguns.... I mentioned that I always wipe down the entire rifle (metal and wood) with a cloth damped with silicone gun oil. He phreaked out and said that I am destroying my guns?!?! Is this true?

I know silicon gun oil is crap as a lubricant, but I thought as a protection - it was pretty good, and certainly wouldn't wreck the gun???

I used this type of oil years ago and it kept my old BSA immaculate and 'as new' for around 5 years.

Any opinions guys? I'm stressed now that I'm damaging my S200!

Cheers
    Neil

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I was going to rub my gun down with a silicone cloth until I read the cloth bag and it said it may remove bluing.

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I used one of those silicone cloths for about 3 years, my rifle looks like it's just out the box!!

only changed to ballestol because the cloth eventually dried out, but now use the same cloth with ballistol:)

Matty, you are rubbing to hard;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I didn't try it at all :p stuck with Ballistol,it does the job just as good as anything else ;)

5. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I use a silicone treated cloth on my rifles and I've had no issues.

6. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

That's what I thought... but I'm paranoid now lol

I found this on ebay "Ballistol 50ml Universal Lubrication Oil Maintenance Shooting Fishing DIY", is this the stuff that lots of people use? And if so, is it ok to wipe over the wood?

Sorry but I've been away from airguns for a long time :rolleyes:

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Yes and yes ;)

8. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

Time to chuck a fiver at the 'bay then :up:

9. culcreuch

culcreuch Donator

You might need more than a fiver.......I bought the 50ml bottle and it has been used for everything. Excellent stuff. If they would sit still for long enough I would do the dogs as well. I will need more soon!

Brian

10. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

100ml bottle it is then Brian! :D

11. culcreuch

culcreuch Donator

500 ml already en route. Only problem I have now....what do I do with all my silicone oil ?? ;)

12. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

When I read the "Silicone debate" in the title I thought huh, what has that got to do with Airguns? :eek: Thought for a moment I was somehow reading the wrong forum lol.

I haven't rubbed anything over my rifle since I bought it about 7 weeks ago and I've been out with it loads of times, sometimes in the rain too. I guess this is not a good idea and I'd better give it a clean then eh? :D

13. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

3 in 1 oil for everything, wiping down, triggers, woodwork to clean it. Finish with with furniture polish if you're paranoid. Moly grease for the internals. Avoid red rubber grease because it contains pyrogenic silica which is an abrasive.
    Ballistol is good, even on cuts but bloody expensive.

14. culcreuch

culcreuch Donator

I can always find something else I need from Uttings to soften the postage. £9.99 is not bad for 500ml

Brian

15. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

I personally wouldn't put silicone oil or grease anywhere near my guns, especially on any moving parts.

Many wipe their guns down with silicone oil and say all is ok but, that's up to them, i certainly wouldn't use it after seeing the damage it can do.

Ben Taylor once did an in depth review of his findings with silicone oil and guns, it certainly put me off ever using it :down:

16. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Used it for years as a wipe down no issues whatsoever however, I wouldn't wipe down the breach area or any other moving parts I now use balistol

17. reaper6

reaper6 Banned BANNED

Try polishing your car with Ballistol........fantastic finish and when it rain its amazing better than any wax

18. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

I've been using an 'Abbey' silicone cloth - seems like effective protection for my rifle. :up:

19. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Shame on you Andy! you should always wipe your gun over with an oily cloth after you've used it,especially the metalwork to stop the moisture in your hands damaging the bluing(rusting).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  20. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I stand in shame for my laziness :redface: and will give it a thorough clean as soon as I can :facepalm:

:D