1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Playing About With A Prosport.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by squib, Jul 11, 2019.

1. squib

squib Busy Member

I picked up a .177 prosport recently, firstly as it was at reasonable money, and secondly as I don’t own a springer in .177 anymore.

It shot quite well, and was low 11 ft/lbs on the chrono, but it was dieseling a fair bit. Pulled it apart and the standard innards were packed with grease.

Cleaned it all off, and relubed sparingly with STP/graphite. The twang was unbelievable, it was like something from the fairground. :facepalm:

Next job, I replaced the guide and top hat with Delrin. The twang although reduced was still too much for me.

I then took a slightly different tack. I’d had good results lightening the piston on my 95, and have had an interest in the TL conversion. I figured if I ballsed it up in such a monumental fashion, I could always get the TL conversion done.

After about 2 minutes of internet research I arrived at a TP size of 3.9/4mm, and a piston weight of about 150g.

I put the piston in the mill vice, and set about it with a 12mm cutter. I got it down to about 175g from memory, again from memory the starting weight was 225g.

This is the piston post milling, 4 x 12mm slots running most of the length:

3C34F8F5-2B5B-4CCB-AE2D-49B19622E3D1.jpeg

Put it all back together, and although the shot cycle has sped up with the lighter piston, I was back to square 1 with the twang. I think there was two reasons, firstly the spring is really snug in the piston - I couldn’t even get a Guinness can sleeve in there without it binding. Secondly, I’d removed too much material from the piston wall, the 4 ‘bars’ that now connected the front and rear of the piston were quite thin and flexible, and I think these may have been making a racket as the piston came to a rest, a bit of a resonance thing perhaps.

The next stage was to get a bit more drastic. I cut the bulk of the piston walls away with a disc cutter, and then cleaned up in the lathe. Also, the front Delrin bearing wasn’t a particularly good fit in the cylinder ( cylinder ID 25.1 / bearing 24.7 ) so I ditched the Delrin, widened the slot a touch, and put in two o rings that formed a good fit into the cylinder without increasing friction.

This is the first version with it now skirtless, with the new orings, and my quick and dirty top hat and slip washer.

97FA7FD3-3DA1-4CD4-B40B-29A3804573E6.jpeg

Put it back together, and it shot beautifully. Very little recoil, and not a hint of twang, very quiet. But, it was only giving me 10j.

Next step was to try the same amount of preload, but add a bit of weight, so I fitted the original top hat with my Delrin washer. Incedentally, I had built a new guide with 5mm of preload into the guide, and this also serves to strengthen the guide at the back end.

47ECCF99-CBD4-49E0-927F-4FE7C54D8525.jpeg

5C991EA7-2D4D-4319-B88E-9BEB4993190D.jpeg

This gave me very similar to the previous version, but only gave me 12.5j, but shot very nicely.

The next attempt was a bit of a chance it, so I just whacked up the preload by putting in both top hats. This was never intended to be the finished job, I just wanted to see what the additional preload did. As it happened it wasn’t such a great idea, as when I cocked it out of the stock to test fire, the safety didn’t engage, so loading it was fun :eek:
    This gave me about 14j.

3C130C8A-5411-4576-8BC7-54DF75AEE01D.jpeg

For obvious reasons I didn’t spend much time testing this configuration, but concluded the additional preload was worth it, but didn’t want anymore, and would need to increase weight a touch if I wanted more FPS. With that in mind I turned up a fresh ( heavier ) top hat from stainless, and trimmed a few mm off the spring guide to address the safety latching issue.
    Before I finally reassembled the gun I made extra sure the safety was latching by cocking minus the spring.

This is the same piston with the longer top hat, guide and spring.

B7F16D3F-A72E-4281-BD43-5A80BC5274B8.jpeg

This configuration was a touch hot nudging 17j. Being too pretty for prison I had it apart again, and trimmed the top hat down by 4mm.
    This is now giving me 15.5j ( 11.4 ftlb). I suspect this will creep up once things bed in, so will keep an eye on it, and it’s a quick job to trim the top hat. I may even replace some of the top hat length ( and mass ) with Delrin washers to see the difference with less weight / same preload.

This is how I ended up this evening, which I didn’t think was to bad after 20 shots and an evening of major surgery.

F1E05386-092E-4384-996C-C1363F658F90.jpeg

2. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Great job/read. Thanks for sharing. The AA do tend to twang/boing in my limited experience.
    I just go for sleeving piston/guide as fit 'cos can't do what you do.

squib likes this.
  3. Gary Jones

Gary Jones Post Whore

Some next level tinkering that mate. Looks a good job. :up:

Tyler durdon and squib like this.
  4. squib

squib Busy Member

If you read the ongoing 22mm conversation thread and see what those lot are discussing, this isn’t even Sunday league stuff :confused:
    But thanks :thumb:

Gary Jones likes this.
  5. Al Stevens

Al Stevens Well-Known Member

How much preload has it got now?
    What's the cocking effort?

6. squib

squib Busy Member

There’s an additional 1-2mm at the trigger end, and I’d estimate an additional 12mm at the piston due to the longer top hat.
    Cocking- I can’t say it’s greatly different from when I got it. I didn’t take much notice tbh, there was nothing unusual about cocking it.

7. Tyler durdon

Tyler durdon Post Whore

Great skills you got buddy !

squib likes this.
  8. Peter Collins

Peter Collins Engaging Member

Fantastic read, I am not a man into my springers too much but I found this really interesting and well written. Many thanks!

Pete

squib likes this.
  9. Wofty

Wofty Heinz Meanz Springz

'Too pretty for prison':laff::laff:
    Top work!

10. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

I would lose the o rings as the friction they are creating is where you are losing your power , make a good delrin bearing instead , your twang is probably the fit in the bore of your top hat , most people over look this . Standard tx pistons can come down to 180 grams just by reducing the diameter and losing some material from around the rear bearing .

Gazza600 likes this.
  11. squib

squib Busy Member

The twang went with the the piston skirt :thumb:

Regarding the orings/Delrin, I had considered that myself. I may even remake the top hat to incorporate another Delrin bearing so there’s 2. Although it’s quiet enough, and shoots and cocks well enough, I wonder if keeping the piston more true in the cylinder would improve things further.

Thanks for the pointer :)

12. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Great read. I have a spare mark 3 piston and a very talented nephew. I may let him loose on something like this. Let him read up and then just go for it. Play around with it as it were. Thanks for the idea.

13. Al Stevens

Al Stevens Well-Known Member

Go for it!,try and get creative/inventive,nothing to lose if its a spare,,good fun,you will probably get hooked:)

14. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

A very good first tune , is to lighten the piston as above , then machine the dovetail off , make an ally nose up with a 10mm thread to take either an hw seal or my preference is an o ring , 200g and 82mm stroke work well .

15. rabbitist

rabbitist Donator

Prosports are in my opinion the greatest rifles ever made with a little tinkering

16. Bozz

Bozz Engaging Member

Hi nice job there maybe you should setup building and selling them I'm sure there must be a market as not everyone has the skill / tools to do such job. Well done all the best Graham

squib likes this.