1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Piston Seal Sizing!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by john79, Aug 12, 2018 at 3:21 PM.

1. john79

john79 Post Whore

Hi looking for some advice from you springer shooter/tuner's!

When you size a piston seal do you size it so it fall's under it's own weight ?

I have a V-mach seal on my hw80 and ive took a bit of material off to get it to shoot at 10.8 but the seal is still tight and wont fall under it's own weight , so would you advise to leave it and let it bed-in or take some more material off?

thank's
    john.

2. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

shouldnt fall under its own weight. should move with a bit of resistance. if you push the piston
    down the cylinder/comp tube and then block the tp,ideally it should stop. if blocking the tp
    doesnt stop it,youve taken too much off!.

3. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Big Poster

It’s supposed to be able to fall under the weight of the piston but when the transfer port is blocked off it stays put... :thumb:

Needing to skim down to within a knatts backside of its usable life seems to be a common issue with V-Mach seals, don’t know why people bother to deviate away from the originals if I’m honest, especially as ‘HW’ seals are very good so far as OE seals are concerned...

john79 likes this.
  4. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

thats too loose !when they fall down under their own weight,its time for the bin!

5. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Big Poster

Interesting, you hear so many differing opinions over t’internet on how stuff should be done, t’is no wonder people get completely confused as to what to do is it !...

Ps, I’d just stick to the ‘OE’ seals, much easier...

6. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

the hw seals are ok if you get a good one.of late ive been coming across far too many
    that are way to loose.dont know if its tolerances on the guns or on the seals.

TORNADOS7 likes this.
  7. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Big Poster

If they’re anything like last ‘new’ Weihrauch I bought then it’ll probably be both, Weihrauch need to make some serious inroads into their QC before I ever put my money on another new one...

One of the reasons I bought my current 2004 ‘80’ whilst I had the chance !...

shauny likes this.
  8. john79

john79 Post Whore

The reason I fitted a v-mach seal was because the original seal was letting air past it was very hard and had a defect on the side upload_2018-8-12_16-32-13.png

TORNADOS7 likes this.
  9. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Big Poster

That’ll be where the plastic is injected during the moulding process ‘although’ why the hell they put the access point so close to the lip of the seal is feck’n beyond me... :facepalm:

john79 likes this.
  10. cooper_dan

cooper_dan Engaging Member

I would leave it and let it bed in on its own
    My TX piston doesn't fall in overly easy, needs a bit of a push. But shoots fine. Power crept up a bit for a few hundred pellets but has now levelled out. Still needs a bit of a push to get it in though

The risk is always taking too much off and having to start again

john79 likes this.
  11. robs5230

robs5230 Big Poster

That does depend on how the fit is though. No point having a seal that tight it honks like a goose.

john79 and shauny like this.
  12. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

The Aussie Red seals from Custom Air seals size themselves after a hundred or so shots, they squeak for a bit after being fitted then they settle down and go quiet.

I won't use any other brand or make now, especially the standard HW rubbish, I know people say they are good but I totally disagree.

As soon as I get a gun they are out and in the bin now.