1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

pistol recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by jonesy185, Jul 14, 2014.

1. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Hi guys I'm rather new to the pistol side , wanting to get one for some fun target shooting ect , any ideas on a decent air pistol ??

Cheers

Jonesy

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Got a budget?

3. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

what he said ^

4. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

5. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Nice budget for either second hand or brand new.

for SSPs, Gamo compact,Alecto,HW75.

Springers,HW45,cant think of anything else.

CO2,Rohm twin,a modded ratcatcher.

PCP,brocock atomic,super six etc if,you stretched your budget?

Personally I would try for a PCP pistol or an Alecto,full power and clinically accurate.

6. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

As Mat says, an Alecto,full power and clinically accurate. MK3 you can fit a mod to it, as it is loud without one, I have one in .177, and would never part with it, as I have done a bit of work on it, detachable stock, moderator, scope and cree. What ever you get, hope you enjoy it. Bob.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  7. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

Depending how serious you want to take your target shooting theres lots more CO2 to choose from.

S&W 686/586 is a good fun pistol :)

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I thought you said target shooting *facepalm*

Get one of the Umarex replicas, Beretta 92FS is nice,the nickel version is shiny,realistic and heavy

9. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

I tried an Air Arms Alpha at the club the other day, was absolutely useless with it (hit better with my Umarex mod .586 to be honest, about a .8" group over 10 shots), but it was set up for the owner I guess. I think I was quite nervous about shooting the thing as it costs an absolute fortune, and he was rather blasé about the whole affair. I was quite uptight about loading/cocking etc, kept thinking I'd muff it up somehow.

Had a shot of a brand new HW40, and was about 3/4mm off bull at 10m on the first shot! Tru-Glo sights and all...

I've a '45 to pick up in August that I'm going to force myself to learn how to shoot competently. Although I think the general consensus is towards the Alecto for accuracy and ease of use, I wanted a pistol that needed roping in. Summat that would keep my interest and give me something to work towards.

It'll probably be up for swaps soon if I get scunnered with it.

10. Barni

Barni Donator

Never thought i would even look at a pistol but those HW45`s sure look nice :)

11. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

Hw45 its all you will ever need.

12. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

So its between the webley alecto a wheirauch hw45 I guess . Which has a better review

13. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Alecto - and you can get them in .20 :)

14. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

I think it's personal preference, matey.

Alecto/HW40 seems to be veeeery accurate without a lot of input. I think the '45 demands a certain amount of patience and repetition. Some refinement of your technique and a bit of muscle memory.

I'm going for the '45 as I want a bit of a challenge, and in .22 it'll bounce things around quite nicely at 30 yds apparently. :D

As I said before, I shot the '40 the other day and there didn't seem that much to it. Never handled an Alecto, but I think it's the same kinda action (SSP).

I want a thump and a jump!

15. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

Alecto or 45 or used for that money. stay away from CO2 as it gets expensive and no power. I'd avoid Gamo at that money. For fun a hurricane will go 3.5ft lbs and good fun. Duuno why but they are.

alecto is nothing like the 40. its low powered hard to cock compared to the Alecto. its a 3 pump to 5.5 ft lbs but try for a mk3 which has the barrel already threaded for a mod adapter. The are noisy so can upset the neighbours. Nice trigger on the alecto too and easily capable out to 30 yards with open sights.

never shot a 45 i like the look but may be a handful. might try for a silver star need to check my RFD.

Alecto or 45 or used for that money. stay away from CO2 as it gets expensive and no power. I'd avoid Gamo at that money. For fun a hurricane will go 3.5ft lbs and good fun. Duuno why but they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  16. darklord

O k been shooting my new 45 all afternoon with my nephews, i was expecting a real handful but they are no real handful and certainly no less than a good hurricane but more power.

Apart from dieseling like a steam train at first. the try goo sights had the nephews hitting everything they aimed at. out to 15 yards. they've never shot pistols at all and a rifle for the first time yesterday, ones 11 and ones 14.

17. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

Great to hear keep us updated :)

18. darklord

On holiday and need a gun to play with:-(