1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Pistol plinking practise.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by edtwozeronine, Apr 23, 2014.

1. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I've been using up my much hated Defiant Vintage .22 (5.6mm) pellets with my Webley Tempest pistol. I was only about 4 metres away but trying really hard to concentrate on making good shots from a good solid stance. I watched 'Tichgamers' videos from in another section of the forum and found them very informative.
    It may yet be some time until I'm shooting grapes off my cats head though.:violent4::laser::bump2:
    View attachment 94752
    The point of aim was the red mark but not all pellets made it into this vicinity as you can see.
    Oh and the box was 13cm x 13cm. (5 x 5 inches in old money.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Even as close as 4 metres, that aint too shabby especially with summat as archaic as a Wobley Tempist!:D

3. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I had the first real opportunity to do some serious target shooting on a 20m range at the club yesterday. I knew the HW45 was factory zeroed at 10m but wanted to see how it fared at a longer range.
    I was absolutely hopeless to start with in using the one-handed style and missed the entire target most of the time until with further sight adjustment I began to hit the bottom of the target.
    I changed targets ,made a small sight adjustment and began to get much nearer to the bull using the isosceles stance. Then a charming lady started using a rimfire near to me and I decided to stop.
    However I was pretty impressed with what the HW45 could do at that distance and the next step is to set up the 10m range with targets and using half power see how that works out and what allowance I need to make when changing from one to the other.
    My last target, at 20m , is attached:
    Dag
    View attachment 94766

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

That's better than some people's open sight rifle targets , nice job!

5. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

mattyts speaks much truth, and well done:up:

6. Wynne G Oldman

Wynne G Oldman Engaging Member

This is my best ever pistol target shot at 10M this week. It's taken me 6 months of practise to be able to shoot at this standard, with a lot of ups and downs on the way.

View attachment 94769

7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Good work, that's a nice group. It could be a bit more central but I doubt you'd get any more points out if it.. Do you think your sights need a tweak or do you think the high/right shots are the result of diminished trigger control?

For comparison, it's taken me 14yrs of un-committed, half-arsed stabbing at 10m to become not-quite-as-good as that :p

8. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Nice one Al, what you didn't mention is the very serious commitment that you put into your shooting. It goes to show that it can pay off in the end. Personally disregarding my shaky hands, I think that one handed pistol shooting to that degree of accuracy is one of the most difficult shooting disciplines. With a bit of practice I might, (and it's a bloody big might), get somewhere near that level of accuracy with a bench rested two handed grip!:D

I might have to look around for some barn doors to practice on though!:roflmao:

9. Wynne G Oldman

My sights are bang on and my pistol is accurate. Any pellet that doesn't go through the 10x ring is my fault. I've shot at least 6 cards of 10 shots every day for the last 6 months, and I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere now. Still, it's encouraging for me because this is just the start of a long journey, I hope. I've just started shooting 10M air rifle, and I'm all over the place at the moment, as I was with my pistol at first, but with plenty of practice and learning, I should be just about starting to shoot that reasonably well in another 6 months. I hope. :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  10. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

When I reach that standard I will indeed be a happy bunny.........whoops I don't think I should say that on this forum! Seriously, well done, I'm very impressed.
    Dag

11. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

Some damn fine shooting sir!

12. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

View attachment 94777 View attachment 94778
    Shooting at the first target I noticed I was landing a lot of shots beneath the bullseye.
    So for the second target I aimed for the top centre of the 3 ring.
    While it's not award winning and from 4 metres away again, I'm chuffed that the grouping is mostly inside the 3 ring.:down::D:up:

I'd like to thank OzzyJ for sending me some freebie pellets which I used for this session. Bisley Practise .22 pellets which punched fairly neat holes. Cheers Fella!!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  13. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Played with my crosman 2240 properly for the first time today, well impressed with the accuracy and that's with marksman pellets. Much better than what I could achieve with my HW45's

14. SniperSi

SniperSi Donator

Some fine shooting all round. It's tempting me to get the cp88 out for lunch break tomorrow :)

15. Wynne G Oldman

16. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Thanks for the link, there's some really good stuff in there.
    One point though; in one section it gives the excellent advice that I had received a week or two back about pointing the index finger of your shooting hand at the target while your eyes are closed and then readjusting your feet to get the finger pointing at the target when you open your eyes each time. At the same time I was advised to hook the thumb of my other hand into my belt to stabilise that arm. Still, that is not the main point I wish to make and that is that you need to determine which hand and eye are in fact your shooting side. Only two weeks ago I realised I shot a pistol better left handed than right as the instructor got me to identify my dominant eye. I had always assumed everything I did should be right handed but when he got me to test both eyes on a target I was surprised to find the left was the dominant one. As soon as I switched to using the left hand side my shooting improved.
    Apologies if I missed this in the article but thought it worth emphasing.
    Good shooting!
    Dag

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  17. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

At the risk of teaching Granny to suck eggs can I just describe how I was shown how to determine my dominant eye in case it helps any forum members who are unaware of how to do it?
    I was asked to stand feet apart facing any mark on a wall/door frame etc etc.Next put both index fingers together and point at the chosen mark then close one eye and see if your fingers have moved one way or other from the mark. Repeat for the other eye. You will almost certainly find that with one eye closed the fingers stay on the mark whereas with the other closed the fingers move to the side. THE EYE THAT IS OPEN WHEN THE FINGERS STAY IN THE SAME POSITION IS THE DOMINANT EYE.
    In my, case although right handed, I found my left eye is dominant and as I said before on switching to left handed shooting my aim improved.
    I would suggest peeps determine their dominant eye before buying a pistol with a left or right handed grip. When I bought my HW45 one consideration was that it had an ambidextrous grip which suits me.
    Hoping this is of help,
    Dag

18. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

Being a specs wearer I know my right eye is the strongest as it needs slightly less help than the left. However the open sights are held quite close to the face and I found while shooting with my right hand I was tending to use my left eye to aim. I think it's the better close range object viewing eye. I must try the dominant eye test though, see how it works out.

19. Wynne G Oldman

The reason that I was so chuffed with my best ever card is this. This is a series of 60 shots that I shot today. It wasn't a good day for me, but it's probably just a little bit below my average at the moment. I'm still quite inconsistent, and it does feel really good when I shoot a really good card.

View attachment 94885

20. Wynne G Oldman

It sounds to me that you could be left eye dominant. I can see much better with my left eye, but I'm right eye dominant.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014