1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Pigeon Problems

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Squirrel Sniper, May 2, 2012.

1. Squirrel Sniper

Squirrel Sniper Engaging Member

Hi All,

Just a quick question......

When you have got pigeons in the garden and you fancy a bit of meat for the next BBQ, how do you line them up in the crosshairs?

I have been tempted to go for a head shot every time, but as they are constantly feeding on the ground, they are bobbing, and I am often catching the backstop as the pellet flies under or over their beak.

I can't get them in the trees as that would mean a pellet leaving my garden, and probably a pigeon in the park behind me....

Would a nice big fat chest shot keep one out of the sky? The last thing I want is for them to flap away and fall off of someone's aerial onto their car......

Cheers in advance peeps.

SS

2. bazzab

bazzab Engaging Member

mmmmm now i may be totally wrong here but i always thought you can't shot em unless they a pest or causing damage inbya garden like that? might be completely wrong mind.

3. Egg

Egg Major Poster

:popkorn:

4. Lee Wright

Lee Wright Engaging Member

5. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Post Whore

Red tape and laws aside.... A head shot is always going to be best but neck is also pretty much guarantee kill. Chest/side covered by wing/ back ... Well these areas are not guaranteed kills in my opinion (& experience) I taught myself to hunt, early days i wounded a fair few birds but now i wouldnt consider taking a shot unless i know its going to be clean kill.

6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Chest shot on a pigeon? Forget it. Big crop stuffed full of food, large flight muscles. A recipie for injury, my friend. And as alluded to above, shooting birds in your garden cand be legal sometimes, but more often than not it will be illegal.

7. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

thats what Ive always said too, anything even if classed as a pest, needs a reason to control, crop damage, health & safety etc, all ok in a court of law, wanting one for the barbie don't

8. SteveA

SteveA Engaging Member

Easy get out, get a couple of pots and grow some peas/beans in them, pigeons will go for these so you are protecting crops!
    i do grow in my garden and also have chickens (that is a battle in itsself)

my bird feeders actually are near the peas and has a backstop...... i dont bate for woodys but the greedy buggers often hover up what i set out for the bluetits and other songbirds that i like to see in the garden! i do eat pigeon so it is king of handy......

9. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

The legalities of shooting birds must be judged on a case by case basis. It would be incorrect to say that you are certainly breaking the law by shooting them in your garden. But again, without knowing the complete senario it would not be right to advise that you are not breaking the law.

My advise would be to call and speak to one of the guys at BASC. Explain your situation and ask their advice on the legalities.

If you are not a member, i suggest you consider becoming one!

10. Squirrel Sniper

Squirrel Sniper Engaging Member

Cheers guys,

I have a veggie plot that is getting destroyed by the things. They're going through my pea shoots like nobody's business and the less said about the grass seed I have laid down, the better.

I'll give the BASC a buzz and see what they say, always thought it was OK, but no harm in double checking.

Cheers again

SS

P.S. We have a history of squirrels in the loft here too, so I will ask about them as well.

11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

You'll have no problem with the legality of shooting squirrles, fella - fill your boots.

12. Ginty

Ginty Well-Known Member

Not sure how far you have got but basicly you have to be seen to have at least attempted to shall we say proof your areas of concern with regards to pigeon culls, remember this if you are nicked you can be fined £5000 per bird. Netting over/around your plot of veg ussually works. Squirrels in lofts get yourself a Kannia break back trap loads of monkey nuts and video camera.

13. Sterling

Sterling Member

I always find a head/neck shot easier if they are roosting since they're relatively still for a time.

If they're on the ground (when decoying etc) I go for a side on shot just below the wing (where the shoulder is), generally keeps them down as there is greater chance to hit the (surprisingly big) heart and lungs.

Chest shot? No chance. Like Jackroadkill says; big breast bone, muscles and crop to get through.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  14. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I like to see the woodies in our garden - they are safe, as our the doves. We feed them happily. It is the magpies that don't seem to fare too well around here, thye often just fall over without any prior warning.;)