1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Photon

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by mmamonster, May 3, 2014.

1. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

Just ordered a yukon photon and heard that you need a better add-on ir.
    so when i got some spare cash i will get one, but which one ?
    anyone with a photon recommend one ?
    thanks

2. harry brown

harry brown Banned

I got the pulsar x850 thrown in with the £400 because my RDF is a good egg and I spend lots of $ with him, I'm sure there are probably better cheaper options available, TBH if using with an air rifle I doubt you'll need extra IR anyhow, mine reaches far enough and I've stretched my limits too far ( almost 70m unintentionally). The on-board seems fine to me, that said I've only used it for a week!

The scope itself is cracking for the money but don't expect perfection for this sort of price. Accept you need to bring something to the party...;)

3. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

Thanks for info, putting it on my .22lr and i know its not top nv but cheap enough to try,if you know what i mean.
    how much are the pulsar x850?

4. harry brown

harry brown Banned

I think they are about £100- give take £20. Ive had one on mine for a couple of days and I'm not seeing any need to fit on the HW100 . That said when I fit it to my CZ which is soon, I'll need extra illum I expect.

As long as you accept it's not top dollar as you do! you'll be pleased with it hopefully. :up:

5. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

A low power 501b is all you need for those ranges: It's nice and compact and a low 25mm weaver mount gets it fitted nice and close to the objective bell.

I think young Terry sells them on here. If Terry don't got one I can help but he's the one that puts a lot of time in on here sorting you lads out so try him first please.

A fishermans coaster that clamps onto the focus wheel is also very handy, as is a removable lens cap with about a 25mm hole in it, this might help you get your head around why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-BxiP63MQ&feature=youtu.be

6. anchovie

anchovie Banned

i've not got a photon but i have a pulsar challenger and the onboard ir illuminator on that is poo so i got a t20 with olson black the torch itself is pretty light but well made the adjustable beam is a doddle to use it goes from flood to spot without any undue effort , nice and smooth , it's 3 mode low-mid-high power that swithches between modes easily and quietly and on high it'll easily pickout eye shine to a couple of hundred yard with scope on x6 so if using bigger magnification i should imagine it'll be further but if thats not far enough i believe you can 'upgrade' the lens to 66mm which is what i was going to do but decided not to as it would be a waste of money for me for the ranges i shoot at using sub 12ft/lb

7. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

The poster is not asking what you need for your not very brilliant sensitive NVD, that's not being rude, just realistic.

Your NV requires loads more IR than a 5 mag Photon. This 501b was more than needed for subsonic ranges, Notice you see the blood, brains and pellet exit detail too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5yxfAwwzVM

Your T-20 should be much better at scaring off nocturnal quarry: Especially at those ranges when they are more likely to detect you with their other senses once you light them up. If you can see eyeshine then those eyes saw your IR light. What you may not have considered is when your T20 is zoomed wide your eyes cannot see the eyeshine that is watching your IR light.

In case you might think I'm pro 501b for everything - I also sell T20 IR's.

Google 'tapetum lucidum' to learn why minimal IR is best, especially at subsonic ranges - unless it's a bit of willy waving that's really wanted.:)

8. anchovie

anchovie Banned

well if the t20 does scare off quarry i cant say as i've noticed and as far as them seeing the faint red light on low power then i think i'd need photographic proof of it as when they're a couple in the same spot i can take a shot and it's the sound of the shot that get's the others on their heels otherwise they'd be off as soon as i light them up and yes i have used a 501 before and in my opinion the t20 beats it hands down and what's willy waving? sorry mate but i'm not into that sort of stuff :kiss: :D

9. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

Haha, I'll agree the T20 has loads more IR output than a low power 501b - that's the point I was making. Horses for courses and all that.

The challenger needs a lot more IR than the Photon - which can often be used with absolutely zero IR.

Sounds like you don't have light shy bunnies there you lucky man. :up:

Cheers, Dave.

10. niatron

niatron Engaging Member

talk to terry he does sell IR torches i got one and wouldn't do without it now

and what terry doesn't know about them doesn't need mentioning

11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Thank you very much for the kind words, I only wish that I did know more but I do try!

12. neiled

neiled Donator

I've just ordered a new Photon so do you know what size the removable end cap you suggest needs to be and where I can get one from (I've got a spare coaster)?

13. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, credit where credits due terry if not for some very good forum members like your self or ken hawker, somebloke or cloverleaf with his knowledge of air rifle mechanics and others the forum would be less attractive to new comers which of recent has been quite a few and can only bring others in the fold of air rifle/pistol shooters however they shoot HFT, hunting or even plinking in the back garden.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  14. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Some very good advice in your posts, backed up with video footage. It doesn't really
    get better than that. One question if I may, Where do I get a fishermans coaster for
    my photon please.

Thankyou Lee.

15. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

Hi Lee, Breakaway coasters: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1713...f11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Neil,

I don't have any left ATM after too many people bitched about the cost of machining both sides from oversize Acetal bar stock and making the exercise profitable. At £30 for a bit of plastic I can see their point, few know the cost of making a piece of plastic an exact shape and fit to do a specific job TBH. I might make some more when other work I'm tied up with slows down. They were machined both sides to allow an IR pass filter to be glued to the front of them.

Meanwhile, I have been told some small aerosol can caps can be slipped over the objective - bung a 25mm hole in it, but it's better for covert spotting and 'stalking' if you remove it and don't use IR, so make it removable or flip up.

Some custom machined ones that I made:

[​IMG]

A much cheaper piece of plastic, injection moulded and falls out of an unmanned 24/7 Chinese machine in thousands for another purpose - but now recycled:

[​IMG]

16. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

Good work, what's a IR pass filter ? Thanks.

17. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, you see this is what i meant reference my last reply on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes i know that somebloke reference machining/ setting up/ cost of material etc etc but for you to now put an alternative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wheres my nearest bloody WILKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:up:

18. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Thankyou some bloke,
    It never dawned on me fishermans coaster / breakaway coaster... I think I have some off a beach casting rod.
    Imformation greatly appreciated

Thankyou Lee.

19. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

For daylight shooting I have added a Butler Creek flip up, the one to fit 52mm objective, which has a plain black lift up section. I have a 10mm hole drilled in the centre with a piece of dark red photographic filter material behind it. This cuts down the amount of light reaching the camera enough so that it can be used until it gets quite gloomy and then I simply flip the filter out of the way.
    The Photon is very sensitive, maybe too much so for a 5x scope and it doesn't need as much ir as you might think, certainly on an air rifle.
    If you keep your eyes open and use a bit of lateral thinking it's quite surprising how many common household items can find a new life as shooting accessories.

20. neiled

neiled Donator

Thanks Terry & Somebloke.

I'm having a good picatinny rail fitted on my CZ455 17HMR so I can change between the Photon for night use and my Hawke Varmint for day use without losing too much zero.

I'll try the Photons built in IR first then if that's not good enough I'll try the zoomable IR torch I bought off Terry but will I still need the flip up front cover with the 25mm hole if I'm only planning on using it only at night time?