1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Photon

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by army andy, Feb 10, 2014.

1. army andy

army andy Member

Think my first night sight and before it gets a slagging off I am happy with it, compared to the stuff I used in the army it's pretty good.

my question is how are people getting on with different ranges are they clicking up and down or are they guessing holdover or any other useful suggestion ?

thanks

2. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, i set mine up for an average 25/30mtrs as i only step out this range, then i shoot a shorter and longer distance and see where pellets hit on the target so i know where to place the cross hair at a 25mtr to 40/50mts my maxim range if you understand. once i zero in i dont touch the adjusters. i have a FX T12 in .177 using JSBs heavy pellets with my photon on and as yet dont use extra I/R as i have yukon recharge battery on weaver rail. i must say many photon user find more I/R better for the scopes clarity and have to agree so its worth thinking about this too, my set up is mainly rabbit shooting walking grass fields with a home made bipod. i dont use the red/green thingy but i do get the front eye diopter set perfect to my eye sight and then some sparky black tape around to stop movement. some others on here find the front lens adjustment tight and using a fishing reel strap called a coaster as yet i dont either. there is lots of info on here regarding the photon eg extra I/R etc just do a search or ask away. oh i rate this n/v scope despite the little niggles like clarity/IR etc but once sorted can be made much better and a 3 year warranty. if i was looking for another n.v system i might look at the new starlite oh maybe next winter!!!!!

3. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Shot a rabbit with my new Photon first time out with it still not sure what to make of it yet,sure it should be clearer.Does anyone have a dark horizontal line across image like TV image or is it the front cover?

4. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

front cover for day time use and you will find adding extra I/R will get a better view at night. terry 101 or some bloke on here can help with info on I/R, i think many are using a T6 torch but with a 501b and I/R led with replaced lens to convex and black out reflector. just go on the night vision thread

5. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Tried it with out lens cap but couldn't get it clear,i don't wear or need specs.Cheers will have look on night vision.

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you're wanting to use it during daytime you will need to restrict the amount of light entering the scope. The original filter will do the job nicely but, to my mind, seems too easy to lose so I have fitted a flip up with a 10mm hole in it and a dark red filter behind the hole, it works well.
    IR leds will normally give a better picture than the onboard laser.

7. landymick

landymick Big Poster

I really only want a dedicated night set up but at moment is far from perfect,the image from some bloke is loads better than mine.The IR you mention is it red light ?I got a led cree but must have ordered wrong one as it is just led torch.

8. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

We have a load of different ir illuminators between us at ******* you are more than welcome to try before you buy.
    Cheers Andy

9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The Photon doesn't need much ir and for air or rimfire rifles you only need quite low levels of illumination compared to add ons behind scopes. IR light is invisible to the naked eye (you can usually see a dim red glow around the emitter), if you were to use red (visible) light you would almost certainly have too much light for the Photon to work properly.
    It's difficult to comment on any problems you may be experiencing without seeing the scope in action but even with the onboard laser you should get decent results, an ir led should make the image clearer and more evenly lit.

10. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Thanks for offer will have to try them out,cheers mick

11. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Will have to try an ir,is it possible the focus ring is not quite right as mine only seems to have a small range of movement or is this normal.The onboard laser seems to make it glare, too much light so back it off.It is difficult for you to comment with out looking through it but pretty sure its not right at moment.I really need to see another myself to compare with.Cheers mick

12. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The focus ring has, or should have, quite a bit of movement. Often they are very stiff to move and I have put a coaster on mine to make turning it easier, it will (on mine) focus from very close out to infinity. Try the focussing in daylight with the filter in place just to check that you can get it to focus across a wide range of distances, this will be a bit easier than trying to do it in the dark.
    If you can get this sorted out then have a go in the dark, start with something about 40/50 yards away like a garden fence or a building wall where it's easy to tell what you're looking at and turn the unit on but only rotate the dial a small amount - just past the on position. If you let it settle you will probably find that you can actually see a fair bit and then turn on the laser and the image should be very bright. If you then point it at something further away and slowly tirn the dial until the image is bright enough.
    The laser is quite bright and I could see the light from mine on trees nearly 1/4 away - nowhere near enough to make out much detail but obvious that the ir light was reaching the trees.

13. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Ok from your description it leads me to think it is the focus ring as i can't focus at all distances,will try as you said first.Thanks for your input.

14. LuckySniper

LuckySniper Busy Member

My focus ring was too stiff even with a coaster fitted so I sent it back for inspection. They replaced it with new straight away

15. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Cheers,think it will go back first to be checked out.

16. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

Don't confuse 'too stiff' with too small a range of adjustment if you get my meaning - or too short a depth of view in photography terms.

I had the same issues where even the tiniest amount of adjustment took it from one side of nearly focused to the other side. I also returned it - and got it back with a note that it was working in the way it was expected to. Then whilst trying to sort out what I thought was a light reflection issue out I stumbled on the iris issue.

Long story short and simplified: Compare the massive 42mm diameter hole at the front of the Photon that light passes through to a quality camera lens. If you check out the light passage 'hole' at the rear end of the quality camera lens you will find it is maybe only half the diameter - and then has a means of further restricting light intake with an adjustable iris that will totally shut out all light.

Check out my video to see the difference how putting a lens cap with an iris hole in it over the objective transforms the focal quality - and allows the focus adjustment to be be much less critical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-BxiP63MQ&feature=youtu.be

17. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Seen your vid & its image its miles better than mine,another problem i think is a thick black line at bottom of image about just under a third obscuring the view if you cover the objective lens its still there so not end of mod?

18. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

The image you see is being displayed on a tiny screen - and you can see the one edge of it as you near full travel of the turret adjustments.

If you shim up the rear of the scope a tad, a more central part of the screen may coincide with the central part of the reticle.

19. army andy

army andy Member

I think the screen is down to the mounts you use or the calibrate of your gun on my .177 the screen is in the middle with equal distance on top and bottom, when I switched it over to a ..22 in had to adjust the sight up loads to get it zeroed which made the screen fat at the bottom and thin at the top.
    adding an ir torch made loads of difference with the focus I found I didn't need to touch it, could see rabbits 30 to 70 meters no problem.

20. landymick

landymick Big Poster

It is indeed .22,the rear mount has been shimmed this has sorted the image back central just need to clear the image up a bit as said with IR torch.The focus ring is still a bit stiff but working correctly so I'm told.Will update if any changes made in neat future cheers chaps.