1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Philippines or Jap?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Lydford, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

So, if you had to choose, would it be Jap or Phillipine glass? I have Jap glass in my excellent '90's Tasco and Phillipino in my Bushnell Legend. Both are excellent and streets better than other scopes I own with Chinese glass.

If I had to choose I would probably say my Legend takes some beating but what are your thoughts? :)

2. matt goodson

matt goodson Donator

Its not really anything to do with which county of origin, as theres only a few lens manufactures and they use the same type equipment, its down to how much the scope maker wanted to spend.

Would you like to make a guess where the glass that Leupold uses comes from? I'll give you a clue, not germany, japan or the philippines...

3. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

Surely not! You can't mean ... no, really ... Ch ***!:eek:

4. 177

177 Donator

My Bushnell Legend Ultra HD scopes are Chinese and stunning. Better than the older model Legend (I have some of them as well).

Country of manufacture is academic - quality and grade of materials and assembly count for much...

5. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

Well, you live and learn!

6. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

Totally agree, I have the Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14 x44 and unless is looked I'd never of guessed it was from China.

I also have a couple of Original Jap Trophey's and I'd say they edge it over anything else I have including two original Jap Tacco's.

7. matt goodson

matt goodson Donator

Yep :)

8. 177

177 Donator

The thing is, we discuss quality from a skewed perspective.

More and more air rifle shooters are using a scope the size of a lighthouse and spending money on 'stuff' rather than quality optics.

It's weird (to me) that someone might sink £300 into a mediocre scope (optically speaking) that has 'stuff' on it but they wouldn't dream of buying into infinitely better optical quality with less 'stuff'.

If enough people say something is good it becomes fact, whether it is true or not.

Often some of the people who say it's good might have little to benchmark against, so 'good' becomes relative and devalued or diluted depending on the point of comparison.

One chap at the range a while back loudly stated he would never own a Chinese scope because they were all crap. I handed him one of my rigs with a little Bushnell Legend Ultra HD scope on and he was blown sideways by it. I let him go on about it or a while before I dropped the bombshell regarding its country of origin ;)

There are good and not-so-good options at every price point, and there is nothing wrong with not spending fortunes.

You can get the most out of modest kit or constantly try to buy into 'better'. Sometimes the kit can help your shooting, but often you can improve that in leaps and bounds simply by practising with what you have.

I've had excellent results from a £50 scope and recently got rid of a £500 one that I just didn't get along with. Go figure.

For knockabout use I like Nikon Monarch, Buckmaster and Prostaff (in that order) or Bushnell Legend. Further up the food chain I really like Meopta, more than some of the big names in fact, but this is because my eyes seem particularly suited to them. Vortex do some good scopes without spending fortunes but my eyes seem to struggle with them, which is a 'me' thing and nothing to do with the optics, which are pretty amazing.

A lot of Nikon's binoculars are made in China now...

If you can find the old Simmons Aetec or Whitetail hunter scopes they are optically superior to the vast majority of currently in vogue air rifle scopes. The lack 'stuff', but they offer significantly better clarity and light gathering.

Some guys are pushing the SWFA 10x42 scope to 800 yards plus in America, and the same guys don't need that much more magnification to go out to a mile.

So what exactly do we need to get a pellet on target out to, say, 50 or 60 yards ?

I'll get my coat :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  9. Fenman1980

Fenman1980 Well-Known Member

My jap tasco ag 4x40 I bought in 1994 second hand to go on my fenman is streets ahead of my Chinese ag 4-14x50. It's just so much brighter. The clarity is stunning. I think going to x50 to gather more light is nonsence, you just need quality optics. The 4x40 is way brighter than the 4-14x50.

10. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

Yes, my little Tasco is a 4x32 which I have mounted on my HW50s - great combination!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  11. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

Great post 177, totally agree with all you say, including you getting your coat :eek:

There are those in life that love gadgets whether they can use them all is a different matter. Take my mobile, Sony Xperia Z1, love it, camera is good, clarity is as good as I need from the screen....do I use Facebook, Twitter or any of the Sony apps.... In short NO. I use it to make calls, text, post on this forum and read emails. That's it, for me the rest is pure crap and no required.

Then you have those that have the funds and will spend on whatever they like.

But I agree with you on this.

12. sharpsman

sharpsman Keyboard Hero

As far as i know there is only a few optic manufacturers in Japan and all are expensive but all supply a good product albeit expensive, the chinese market is different as there is a lot more of them some are good others are crap,it is not so much about where the lenses are made ect it is about wich company has made or supplied them. As some have said the newer legends are made in China and are opticaly really good but they are not cheap. In my experience good is good regardless of where it is made.

13. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Touche!!!!!

14. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

I have just had a look at another of my scopes, a shiny black Bushnell Sportsman, and this is made in China. For a budget scope around £100 this is excellent but not as good as the more expensive Philippine made Legend.

15. neiled

neiled Donator

I've been in fork truck sales for over 25 years and have visited thousands of factories across the UK & Europe and been amazed at what goes on behind closed doors! Top manufacturers re-badging their perceived top of the range products to in-house products for other manufacturers and retailers selling for hundreds of pounds less.

Some examples of this we're CD players, videos, TV's etc but the best by far was a cereal bar producer that made them for all the supermarket chains with the only difference being the wrapper used. The big surprise was the fact the same bar was also sold by the leading weigh loss company at twice the price :eek:.....sometimes we pay a lot more for the same product with the only difference being the branding badge!

16. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Philippine for me in general. But I do love the light stream ffp glass

17. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Nikko Stirling have started making there lower down scopes in China but with glass made in Japan. Unfortunately that glass is clearly made using inferior production methods to the general Japanese industry as its somewhere between the general Chinese quality and Korean