1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Pheasants and myxy

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Meteor62, May 11, 2012.

1. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Have just been and had a look at my new permission,a medium sized farm in Warwickshire. The farmer showed me around where to get best chances of rabbits etc. He said shoot whatever you like apart from the ducks. He said take any fox's (Told him that was out of the question with an air rifle) and any pheasants, which brings me to my first question,. What are the legalities of shooting pheasants? I am assuming as it doesn't come on the general licence it's a no no! After he had finished showing me around I talk a walk around on my own and came across a rabbit that was badly infected with Myxy, which brings me to my next question. Obviously the poor things need putting out of their misery but you can't eat them so what is the safest way of disposing of a myxy infested rabbit? Would discarding it in the nearest bush just help spread the disease?

2. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Pheasant are a perfectly legal (assuming you have the permission to shoot them on the land you shoot, which you do) and legitimate air rifle quarry - thing is they're out of season until 1st October.

Myxy rabbits - scavenger food. Myxy is spread by fleas and fleas don't hang around for long on dead hosts so skin the rabbits and either feed the ferrets or dogs with the meat or leave the carcases for Charlie/any other scavenger to feed on BUT, as your man wants rid of the foxes, maybe best to dump them if you don't have anything to feed like dogs or ferrets.

3. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

I know a full blown mixy rabbit dos'ent look good, but it does not harm the meat in any way, and is still edible, once skinned and gutted, you'd never know the difference
    flea's will stay on a dead animal for sometime, so be carefull if you have pet rabbits at home, they dont leave the host straight away

4. the ratcher

the ratcher Engaging Member

I would not touch a mixy rabbit with a barge poll let alone eat one leave them to the foxes.

5. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

If you have the chance, I would burn the dead mixy rabbit if you have no need for the meat ................ :coffee:

6. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

why????:confused: its the rabbit flea thats a carrier, not the rabbit, burning a complete waste of time, unless your cooking it, otherwise, if your not taking it, dispose of it, or leave for foxes, but burning, little ott there

7. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Is burning not disposing of it :rolleyes: ........ :confused: .................. :coffee:

8. SteveA

SteveA Engaging Member

i wouldnt touch one myself and the whole flee thing reminds me of the plague..... best left me thinks

9. ALEXON

ALEXON Engaging Member

Mixxy rabbits,put carcass in oversized plastic bag. Tie a knot to make an airtight seal, can then be buried or put out for the binmen. Burning good but time consuming. However once mixxy is about nothing effectively erradicates it short term it has to run it,s course. So probably not worth any of the above efforts really!

10. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

A percentage of the mixy infested rabbits will survive and pass on their immunity to their offspring. You have no way of telling which will survive and which will succombe to the disease (which is related to flu). Eating them is no problem - you just have to get your head into shape all you queasy folk. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Skin them in the field - I don't bother with the forend, just paunch them as soon as shot, then skin from the belly opening, round the shoulders and hind legs. Cut the rabbit off at the ribs, so you take the saddle and hind quarters. Leave the forend and head as bait for the foxes (if you have a weapon suitable of taking them). OR use them for corvid bait for the air rifle. The more you can leave alone and not shoot, the better the population will be once the mixy receeds. It will never go from the land and you will get flasre ups from time to time. More and more rabbits will become more immune to it and survive. The scarred tissue from old mixy weals will be evident around the eyes, even though they aren't weeping at the time, showing you that rabbit had built an immunity to the virus.

11. andy46

andy46 Donator

i will be taking pheasants on my permission,when the pheasant shooting season opens,i have been told i can shoot at any quarry as long as its legal game for my air rifle,as for mixxy,to many squeamish shooters out there,man up,and if your still bothered by mixxy,then its corvid fodder