1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Pest control (Rats) - Gun Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Dave H-A-B, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Dave H-A-B

Dave H-A-B Newbie

Hello,

I fired a few air rifles as a kid but otherwise I'm a complete novice. I'm looking for a reasonably priced rifle (£150 max) suitable for pest control (rats in the back garden).

I was looking at the Crossman Ratcatcher but I'd appreciate any recomendations on model, shop/website to buy from & any accessaries you may recommend (laser site etc).

Thanks!

2. Mick Dundee

Mick Dundee Engaging Member

Ratting.

Don't waste money on a Co2 gun if you're serious about rats. (my opinion) A BSA lightning in .22 or , MY new discovery, Weihrauch 99S for £147 at
    JSRs.is better. Got a big rat yesterday with mine and it's a . 177!

3. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

I will say again....'Try before you buy'. If the salesman says 'No' walk away.
    But most will and most will call you back. There are so many out there that are very similar, hunting is also down to comfort. You should think of this when deciding:)

4. liedownsnap

liedownsnap Newbie

In my humble opinion......
    rats need hitting in specific areas, ie head, neck, between the front legs from the front.
    They are tough little creatures and body shots usually result in them getting back down their holes.
    I've recently moved to the kiddies caliber :) and am having more instant kills, presumably because I'm being more accurate???
    Cheers.

5. bsa_hunter

bsa_hunter Guest

Lightning .22 kills them everytime I hit them, awesome full power gun.

6. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

sometimes a full power rifle will go straight threw especially at less than 30 yds have a look around many guns out there that will do the job imo a .22 with flat head pellets is best. however the choice is down to you

7. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Crosman Ratcatcher?

(This is a real gun)

Will do the job nicely, as the name suggests.

It's a CO2 pistol with rifle stock, plastic, and shoots at around 8ft/lbs depending on the weather.

www.uttings.com

8. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Oops ... didn't see that you've already been looking at the Ratcatcher.

Other than that you can always look into the BSA Supersport - which is a rifle version of the Lightning and has open sights but doesn't have a silencer, although you can buy one.

I'd recommend the Supersport over the Lightning as it's cheaper, more accurate and has open sights.

www.uttings.com

Find one here for £150 ...

Hope this helps.

9. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

It has to be a head or heart shot with a tree rat (my favourites).
    That's just between the front legs.
    Its very rare for it to go straight through, the rat is tough un-like a bird where quite often it does from under 30 yards.

I have shot one with 8 old scarred holes in it but had healed over. None had gone through and out as when i opened it up all pellets apart from 1 which i reckon may have diverted where in there.
    You would have thought Lead poisoning wouldn't you but this guy was healthy before i shot it. It had been annoying an old ladies garden and she had a pistol and said over two years she had been trying to get it.
    Gone through a whole tub of pellets:eek:

10. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

the ratcatcher is not a pistol, and any one who calls it a pistol should read the law on power and definition of a pistol(ie power below 6ft/lb barrel length less than 8 inches) the rat catcher is a low powered rifle.

to fog my appollogies i thought the thread was about shooting rats, not your or my fav quarry THE SQUIRREL..

11. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Rat gun reccomendation

Hi Dave, Choice of gun is a neverending talking point.
    I'd say that any european break barrel will do, as long as it is accurate and has power near the legal limit. The BSA supersport will do the job nicley.
    Avoid anything Chinese or "too cheap to be good" deals.
    I wouldn't opt for CO2 as the running costs are quite high comparitivley and ive never found any CO2 gun to be 100% satisfactory.
    I'd save up and buy a Weirauch 35,95k or 99s.
    You don't really need a scope as most(not all)quality break barrels are fitted with open sights which are pefectly adequate for rats close up.

12. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Please choose a .22 RIFLE and not pistol for squirrel.
    a .177 i have always said in the sweet spot is as good as a .22 will down most quarry but the tree rat is a tough one. First you may hit it on a branch, if not inthe head it will not fall , you have then lost the surprise , then very hard to hit it after that.
    So a big .22 (i use Magnums) close to or in the head will do it.If used as well if you hit it in the first 1/3 of its body it is probably enough to kill or down it as the spread of a magnum when hitting a target is very big . (try one with a .177 and compare) so causes twice the amount of damage.
    Anyone who suggests a 2240 pistol to hunt is wrong IMO.
    Yes for Rats...No for Tree Rats.

Just my opinion

13. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Too Custom 100

No problem mate no offence taken.:up: