1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Perm protection

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by dave ratz, Feb 19, 2012.

1. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

I had a call from my fav perm holder at around 3.00 am asking if i was out an about lamping with a light, no mam whats goin on , they had spotted lights flicking on & off, i arrived with my dogs and walked the bounderies and woodland to find nothing,first light i walked into the rough meadow fields and found 2 large wires stretched across 2 gamepaths,the thought that my 2 dogs were running about a few hours before and could of damaged themselves on these really got my goat up, ive removed the wires and had a good look around to find no more, im sitting in the fields tonight with my nv unit [ no gun ] just 26stone of my 2 dogs waiting , how soon do i need to call my dogs back before its not classed reasonable force for capture & restraint, if my dogs do a little damage would i get done, im goin anyway its just nice to know how it will workout if i catch the SHYTES..Ratz see if your can see the wire

Attached Files:

2. kenhawker

kenhawker Honorary Member

Give yourself a good workout dave, try not to get blood onyer mind.

3. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

got a similar problem at MY permission the only difference is its my shooting partner ( a friend i invited out with me) and his mate that are taking the p### going out there without telling me...

4. Tadpole

Tadpole Honorary Member

Not good at all Dave, not for the dogs or yourself.
    Just take care later ;) .................................................... :coffee:

5. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

when you said large wires did you mean large snares? bl@@dy H### i'de be fuming! trouble is trying to catch them as once they've been out you never know when they'll be back. when i was working for tregothnan est poachers would shoot the deer in the park from boats in the estuary and i'de sit out at night sometimes all night with a night vision scope (passively) looking for there ir beams and never see them... then when your tucked up in bed weeks later another would be found shot. they'de shoot them first then try to find a way in to retrieve them but couldnt always find them.
    glad you found them wires before the dogs did!

6. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

as above, glad you found the wires before your dogs got caught, I would think you need to be careful, if they are willing to tresspass to set snares out you don't know what they could be carrying. Give the police a call about armed tresspassers and say you'll be keeping watch, if you see anything give the plod a call and they should be there pretty sharpish!

7. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

How high was the bottom wire set off the ground ratz, Is the snare free running the stop removed i cant see from the photo, if so keep them they are illegal take them to the police. If you catch them you need to be building your case. I have found (many years gamekeeping ) look for where they park their car/van and catch them there, you have a location to call the police to. Have a scout around in the day and look for tire tracks in odd places. Often they will have a driver that comes back for them when phoned but they still need to get off the road.
    Tell the police what you are doing poaches can be ruthless if it goes pair shaped the police know in advance. Try to speak to the wildlife crime officer.
    Mind your dogs dont get hurt I have a gsd but would never let him off the lead he is there to protect me in a last resort. Consider trail cameras expensive but the mms ones are great a photo straight to your phone (would the landowner finance one or two). When you find a snare leave it and set the camera on it they will be back to check the snare every day or so. A cheaper option set an alarm mine near the snare the landowner may hear the bang. Good luck let us know how you get on.
    cheers andy

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/produc...ogle&utm_medium=products&utm_campaign=froogle

http://www.trail-camera.co.uk/wildlife/Ltl-Acorn-MMS-940nm.htm

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  8. kyle99

kyle99 Posting Addict

are they like big fox snares? howwerethey pinned down etc id have left em down so they come back iv had it wen i was keepering and there after deer, just remember if you get close to them, you can use a pre-emptive strike, i work security now so have to deal with things like that

9. r10hunter

Deer poachers often carry a silenced .410 to kill the deer take great care

10. kyle99

kyle99 Posting Addict

the ones we caught were using a big knife to cut its neck

11. r10hunter

On muntjack etc ok.
    But on a large deer caught by the leg you would get hurt trying to use a knife, or the deer would get away in the struggle.
    This is the round that they make to kill them 2x .36 musket balls and 10 bb shot.
    Photo 19-02-2012 12 46 11.jpg
    Cheers Andy

12. kyle99

kyle99 Posting Addict

we only have roe near us

13. wolfy68

wolfy68 Posting Addict

If you come across the vehicle they use, disable it, it'll give the police the chance to turn up in time.But under no circumstances approach them, like has been said, they could be armed and will do whatever it takes to evade capture.

14. andy46

andy46 Donator

i caught someone poaching on one of my permissions,what i did was ring my land owner to let them know what was going on,then reported it straight away to the police,managed to get the reg number of the van,and now iv stuck up a really good thing with my local police.just be careful mate,these sort people are never alone,and you never know what they would do to avoid capture,hope you get it sorted mate,

15. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

Thanx for the advice people, the wires are about 18 inches high set and look like cycle cable with no stopnot,the pics hard to see but the biggest leaf at bottom you can just make out the size of loop,about 20inch circle, cant wait and trust me if they aint got a .50 my dogs aint stopping,plus il see if armed through nv, many thanx & will let you know.....Ratz p.s been out there shooting today & no more found

16. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

We've found snares and found people trespassing looking for coursing sites before, I've found making them aware you're on to them is the best thing to do.

Normally they go in the hope that they won't be noticed, so if the land is quiet and nothing changes from week to week, they know they're onto a winner, moving any snares/traps and making it obvious someone has moved them by cutting back growth or changing the ground lets them know someone has been there.

Then liaise with the police and hand in any snares and traps found, make them well aware of what's going on and where, chances are if they're out trespassing and snaring, they're up to no good in other ways, like nicking red diesel or breaking in places for chainsaws and tools.
    Make sure the police are clear on your location, so that when you ring them they're not driving about for an hour trying to find you. At the very least contacting the police will cover your backside in case anything does happen, like if the miscreants are climbing a fence and slip, and bang their heads really hard on a fence pole type thing, at least then they're aware you have an existing problem.

But be careful, don't confront them if you can help it and always stick within the letter of the law where 'reasonable force' is concerned.

17. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

Best thing you could do is wait it out in the house with your land owner. Get the NV gear up and running like you say but stake it out from the house (no danger to you, dogs, others etc.) and wait until they arrive. THEN, when they do, report it to the police immediately saying that armed people have entered your field, they shouldn't be there, your worried for your safety and the others in the house etc. etc.

The police will send out everything they've got including helicopters, the people will be caught and you'll be safe and a hero. Even if they don't have guns, chances are they'll have something that could be accidently 'mistaken' as a gun to get the police to come in.

18. r10hunter

I would take the snares to the police. Tell them they are illegal snares set for deer get the grid ref of where you found them if you can. Work with them let the ARU make the arrest don't risk your life or your dogs life's over a deer these type of people will kill your dogs. Hope you get it sorted all the best Andy

19. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

You could also find their vehicle and let the tyres down - and when asked why you did it, you were using reasonable force to restrain or delay the culprits from evading police/public arrest.

I know someone who got caught poaching for carp and the police and water board had done this to his car.

20. kyle99

kyle99 Posting Addict

deer snares mate