1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Perfect (as Can Be) Moderator Internals

Discussion in 'Technical' started by the dog, Aug 21, 2019.

1. the dog

the dog Petrol engines do NOT like diesel

To all you moderator makers.
    What in your opinion, is the best design for sub 12 moderator internals?
    How many baffles? Curlers and felt? etc...
    I'm thinking of doctoring my Uragan mod as its just a spring wrapped in felt material. The shroud it connects to is not much better. I'm sure both can be improved.

Rincewind666 and Marky-Boy like this.
  2. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

If you can wait, i'm going to make a set on the printer for mine when it arrives :)

phil.m, Tim_B, PumpnGun and 4 others like this.
  3. the dog

the dog Petrol engines do NOT like diesel

Cheers Rich.
    Yes I can wait. I will take you up on that mate. Thanks.

I'm in the process of moving house. Once I find the right property, the first thing to buy is a lathe so I can tinker on the like.

phil.m, Marky-Boy and RichieRich like this.
  4. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Is the shroud just cosmetic or vented?

:)

Marky-Boy likes this.
  5. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

well at the moment my internals are stuffed with Kebab :D

6. Marky-Boy

Marky-Boy Just The One + 1

What are you actually going to make

7. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

From what i've read, it's like the HW97 barrel end, just a tube with some felt and a spring. No baffles

8. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Baffles MarkyBoy! Baffles :)

I'll measure the internals, then make a set including the tubes to section it

Blister, the dog and Marky-Boy like this.
  9. Marky-Boy

Stevie can I do anything to my shroud to make it quieter so I don’t need a mod?
    I was reading old threads earlier and you commented a lot
    Vented drilling holes?

10. Marky-Boy

Sounds Tec Nic Cal
    Is it worth me putting any material before my baffles on my Vulcan or is that a waste of time?

11. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

I've no idea on the Vulcan i'm afraid, i've not seen one, so i'm not sure if its internals

Marky-Boy likes this.
  12. Marky-Boy

I’ll take a pic next time thanks mate

RichieRich likes this.
  13. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

In the 3 huma shrouds I have modified/vented, it has been an improvement every time with 6 x 2mm holes drilled just up from the breech block. The huma shroud has a back venting adapter before the baffling that redirects the blast back into the shroud, and works very well.

The 4th huma shroud I modified had 6 x 2mm holes drilled just forward of the breech block, and the same drilled in the first baffles chamber, the result was louder at the shooters end but fly fart at the target end.

The huggett belita isn’t particularly good because the vents in more recent models have been closed off:shrug:

Open up the vents and voila, a better mod at the target end where it really counts.

I understand not everyone wants to attack their shrouds and mods with a drill, but certainly have a play with different baffle arrangements and wadding. It could and probably will shave off a few db’s

:)

14. Marky-Boy

Thank you
    You have got me thinking
    Every day’s a school day
    Cheers Stevie

Stevie Darling likes this.
  15. Thiel

Thiel Donator

IMG_20190803_181441755.jpg IMG_20190803_181547328.jpg IMG_20190803_181522417.jpg IMG_20190803_181547328.jpg
    Vulcan gen4

RichieRich and Marky-Boy like this.
  16. rkr

rkr Posting Addict

Venting at the breech end works, I usually wrap a roll of thick felt around the barrel that extands to under those vents to slow down the blast. The same goes for first chamber vents. One of my HWs has 6 holes in the first camber and double layer of felt under those holes, it measures more quiet than a stock unit. For a shroud you want that backventing (several ways of doing it) + vet at the breech end and after that a normal 3 chamber system with felt and curlers would work well for 12 fpe. I have a 28mm CF shroud in my 12 fpe Scorpion, Huub style backventing and vent at the breech end, 200mm in front of the muzzle with 3 chamber system. It is very hard to tell if the gun has air in or not when you shoot it.

Marky-Boy and Stevie Darling like this.
  17. rkr

rkr Posting Addict

Marky-Boy and Stevie Darling like this.
  18. Marky-Boy

IMG_3767.jpg
    So if you filled these spaces with rollers/felt that would be ok?
    And something behind where it screws onto the barrel
    I think it’s tinker time

19. rkr

rkr Posting Addict

Yes, fill the spaces with felt and rollers. The piece that screws/pushes at the muzzle is fine as it is, it's the backventing piece that guides air from muzzle back through the shroud towards the breech. You should add some holes at the very rear of the shroud where it meets the breech and have some felt under them. That allows air to flow back through the shroud while greatly reducing the speed of it, thus leaving less air to go through the actual silencer piece of the shroud.

Marky-Boy likes this.
  20. Marky-Boy

Thank you
    Can you recommend some felt?
    I asked another member by pm but don’t think he wants to share his trade secrets