1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Pension Advert.

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by RedKen, Aug 11, 2019.

1. RedKen

RedKen Me head's a shed.

The one where the guy says he has just short of 40yrs pension in and it wouldn't be enough, so he got a bloke to invest it for him and he nicked the lot. 40 yrs pension plus his state pension and it wouldn't be enough!!!!! What sort of lifestyle does he want? Now I know it wouldn't be glamorous (no mansion, no private shooting range, no Bugatti Veyron, limit holidays to less than 4 a year, no spending £200 a week on eating out, having to drink Prosecco instead of Bollie, that sort of thing), but I reckon I could survive on just a sate pension if I had to. What say you lot?

2. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

That'll be slumming it, I'll need more, lots more.:D
    Have to keep myself in whisky and caviar.:D:D

3. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Keyboard Hero

i know what you're saying but my council tax bill alone would chew a massive hole in the SP entitlement.

4. shergar

shergar Busy Member

A man with a pension has money to spend. A man with a wife has someone to spend it.

5. RedKen

RedKen Me head's a shed.

So it would. But if you were on bare pension, you would get a pretty big reduction. Even on full council tax in a reasonable dwelling lets say £30 a week tops. You would also get a big reduction in rent if applicable. Add on utilities which if used reasonably would be about another £30 a week over the year. Reasonable clothes, not designer stuff and there would be enough left over for a decent trolley full of food providing you don't want fillet steak, caviar, and Bollinger several times a week.

6. RedKen

RedKen Me head's a shed.

Exactly! It all depends on what your expectations are.

7. Agger

Agger Active Member

Having worked hard all my life until I retired at 55 I now get just over £1800 pcm in pensions:thumb:we went without during our earning years so we could enjoy our retirement, we have a minimum of 8 holidays a year and I drive a nice car:thumb:we only had a mortgage for 11 years as we paid it off early, no meals out, no smoking, no drinking:thumb:easy enough if you want to, but some want it all, that's their choice we have no problems with that at all, shoot straight everyone:thumb:

cdlftw, jesim1, WR14210 and 2 others like this.
  8. If you don't mind me asking what job/career path did you take. Sounds like your living life to the full now and fair play to you, you obviously earned it. I'm surprised your still in the UK though, I would of jetted off to somewhere warm to live.

9. HW100Tuning

HW100Tuning Straight Pride

Rip off britain..massive EU tarrifs and funding on everything we buy, taxes on everything including watching TV... the only people who are safe are public sectors workers... Police, councils workers etc with their gold plated pensions allowing them to retire at 50.

2506sendero and maz1 like this.
  10. Agger

Agger Active Member

I started in shops at age 8, went on to management then an area manager took an axe to me:facepalm:i snorted him after he put 17 stitches in my knee.

I walked to hospital had it stitched up then went to the recruiting office and joined up, did 24 years adult service:thumb:

Came out and ran a distribution warehouse for a well known building company, then made redundant as they were moving

Then worked for a chilled food distribution company.

And finally did 6 years for a company dealing with National Security, Police etc.

All good now been retired 11.5 years:thumb:

I should also add I left school with absolutely NO qualifications, my only ethos I wasn't afraid of hard work:thumb:

Stay safe, shoot straight:thumb:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    cdlftw, skin fx and TheNewbieShooter like this.
  11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

You're well off track with that comment. Police and fire workers can qualify for their maximum pension after 30 years service, to get this they pay (or used to, there's been some slight changes) 12% of their salary into their pension fund. When you think how much this would hurt when you're also paying a mortgage and raising kids you can see why a lot didn't join the scheme in their early years. Of course they don't get state pension until they reach 67.
    Local government staff pay in about 6% but have to do 40 years before qualifying for a full pension, if they retire before state pension age they will lose some of their entitlement and it can work out to be a fair bit.
    Anyone who wants a pension from their employer (or allied scheme) can pay into their pension scheme and draw just as much, many don't because they want to spend all their earnings and don't think about saving so those who are working or paying tax on their pension income will have to pay more tax to meet the benefit payments for those who didn't save plus the costs of keeping them in care homes etc while those who saved and bought their own homes may well have to sell everything to pay for care.
    The majority of local government staff are on very low wages and get little more than the minimum wage and just a small proportion of very senior staff get good money although in most cases still less than they would get in the private sector. For those who thing that council jobs are so marvellous there's usually a few jobs going in care homes or working on the roads or maybe dealing with addicts in a social services office but I doubt that many would find either the work or the wages particulalry attractive after trying the job for a week.
    Civil servants get a better pension and MPs pensions are linked to them so they are unlikely to ever get worse.

Wild Bill, WR14210 and Agger like this.
  12. HW100Tuning

HW100Tuning Straight Pride

Don't think so.... most the coppers I know retire at 50 with their house fully paid off and living the high life (got family who are coppers).

maz1 likes this.
  13. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I believe 40 years is the required number of years to qualify for a full state pension and if you've also been paying in to a works or private pension scheme for the same or similar number of years and it's not enough then you're either living a very extravagant life style or you must still have a lot of large financial commitments which at normal retirement for many i.e 65 you shouldn't as things like mortgages should be paid off by then. Is anyone one stupid enough to entrust their life's savings and/or pension to someone who contacts you out of the blue not matter how convincing they sound. Anyone with a modicum of common sense or savvy wouldn't but unfortunately there are such trusting souls about hence the need i suppose for the adverts/warnings.
    Myself i live on a state pension and a very modest company pension and don't receive the full amount of my company pension which would have still been modest anyway because the company went tits up before i was entitled/able to draw it. But i'm managing okay i receive no form of any benefit other than the single occupancy discount on my council tax bill.All my bills are paid by direct debit and i still have a small nest egg for a rainy day should that happen and while i don't spend money on holidays or p**s it up the wall or down the toilet as they say or buy designer label or expensive clothes but i do have a brand new car sitting on my drive, as was the previous car, which i bought in March of this year.
    It's often a simple choice if you want this then you must forego that, you can't have both but too many people these days fail to realise or accept that.
    It's perhaps a bit like these people or company who telephone you out of the blue offering to sell you a plot of land with outline or possible future planning permission for a very attractive price,Really! Surely if you've got a few acres of land with outline or possible future planning permission you're going to sit on it until the time is right and then sell it to one of the major or leading house builders. Or if you feel philanthropic sell it at a token price to the local council for them to build social housing on.
    I'm amazed at how sometimes otherwise clever intelligent people fall for these scams.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    sidney and Agger like this.
  14. OldGreyDog

OldGreyDog Busy Member

One thing to watch for is, or used to be, that NI contributions you make don't count until you are 21 - I'm sure I was caught by this. Nevertheless I quit work (local govt) with just over 36yrs contributions in my pot. Because my age plus years of service were 85 or more, and I was 60, I suffered no pension reduction. A lot of people don't want to pay 6-7% of their salary into a pension for most of their working life - its their choice, but you only get out what you paid for. We lived on my occupational pension for five years until my state pension kicked in and while we ain't rich by any means and don't live an extravigent lifestyle, we get by and enjoy life.

Edit - I was one of the last to escape under cover of the '85 Rule'

Agger likes this.
  15. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Local government pension schemes have been revised several times during the past 20 or so years and Im sure that the '85' year rule is one of the options that was lost. The changes have not really been to the benefit of pensioners - no surprises there. As far as I know the only ways to avoid having your pension cut are to be made redundant or be forced to retire due to ill health - neither entitles you to any more than you've paid in.
    The state pension rules have also changed recently and I believe they have eased the criteria to qualify for a full pension and the base amount can be more than previously.
    Most pension schemes have a provision for increased contributions which result in increased pension payments but very few people do this, presumably the extra expense puts them off and, regrettably, saving for retirement never seems a good idea until a year or so before you actually retire.
    Police and Fire service staff are, or have been, expected or forced to retire earlier than most people. The physical nature of their work has been the main reason for this. Many ex police officers get civilian jobs within the force where they will generally get the option to join the local government pension scheme for the remaining 15 or so years of their working life up to state pension age. Some Fire officers also do this and many have part time jobs throughout their career. I do know a fair number of ex police officers and none of them could be considered wealthy, commonly they will use a chunk of their pension to pay off mortgages and this is an option available to most pension schemes.
    These pension schemes all involve employees contributing, saving for their future and they aren't compulsory but most people do consider it to be a wise investment. Those who choose to spend all their earnings with no thought for retirement have no justification in criticising those who are able to draw a pension from their employment and council pensions are a long way from being 'gold plated'.

WR14210 and OldGreyDog like this.
  16. Grey Man

Grey Man Engaging Member

And if she divorces him, he doesn't even have that.

17. Strathrpc

Strathrpc Posting Addict

Strathpeffer, Highlands, god's own Country
    Basic pension I believe is about £168/week, well that's what I get anyway; no way could I LIVE on it. Maybe, just about survive without my cars etc. Probably have to downsize the hovel a bit too.

As it is, I don't have to survive on it.

Just had a looksee at some outgoings; Council tax £220/month, heating/leckie £160/month; that's over half gone already without anything else like food, phone, car or any of life's little pleasures.

How many of you could actually live on £168/week?

18. Agger

Agger Active Member

I pay our council tax in full in March, our gas & electric is £65 a month but I'm £550 in credit, I pay £10 a month for data, and £48 for BT TV & broadband (I Haggled) water is £370 a year again paid in full in March

We worked for it, we spend it, we live in a 3 bed semi whereas we could live in a 4/5 bed detached but with only 2 it's hard to justify.

We still don't smoke, drink or eat out:thumb:

19. hughwp

hughwp Engaging Member

One bargain that's still available if you retire early or don't have full NI (or were "opted out" because of company pension is to pay more NI contributions as a lump sum ( back dated up to 6yrs) or weekly works out at about £600 a year but when you reach 65/6/7 you get your money back after about 5yrs and after that your quids in.

It's probably about the most generous deal you'll get and it would not surprise me if they put up the costs.

You can see your state pension forecast and what NI you have to pay at Gov.uk site

OldGreyDog likes this.
  20. Hans Free

Hans Free Donator

I can retire in six years time and there's no way I could manage on a state pension I'd like to sell my house and live in a caravan and spend it wisely on cruises ,booze etc
    Just hope my missus agrees

21. JamieB57

JamieB57 Engaging Member

I think I would live on £168,I only get £260 now while working after travel to work costs,and often save a few hundred a month.Council tax £109/month gas/electric £34/month broadband £20/month plus water £17.50,Insurance and other bills total probably £100/month.Never had well paid jobs,so used to a modest living!

Agger likes this.