1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Pellets

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Rodders66, May 10, 2012.

1. Rodders66

Rodders66 Engaging Member

When I'm out plinking should I be using the same pellets I use when I'm out in the field or am I ok using a cheaper pellet.

2. langy

langy Engaging Member

hi mate, you each time you switch pellets youll want to shoot about 20 or so of the new pellet through to re-lead the barrel but other than that yeah you could... although from my experience, just stick with the better ones... my mate bought me and him some cheap smk spitfire things off ebay, and they are terrible... groupings at just like 15 yards were spread out like 3 inches, just pay that couple quid extra for them itll be much better :)

3. Online-gamer

Online-gamer Engaging Member

Sound advice from Langy if you got a pellet that works for your set up stick with it

4. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Two points
    1. Different lead so different barrel fouling
    2. If you are plinking at different ranges you are going to have to learn two trajectories. Easier then to make an error when hunting.

5. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

Personally I will plink and hunt with the same pellets, you are just asking for trouble otherwise.

6. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Using two different pellets means you're always going to be rezeroing your scope to suit which pellet you'll be using on the day.. Just use one good quality pellet like the RWS Super Domes.. Best of each as they're good quality and cheaper to boot than all the other quality pellets. Throw the cheapo pellets in the bin.

7. TheDarkPassenger

TheDarkPassenger Engaging Member

As above, pick some that work and stick to em.

8. Rodders66

one more thing ive got an Air Ranger have any of you lads got one or had one if so what pellets are you using.

9. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

If you use poor pellets for plinking you will just get frustrated at the poor accuracy.

Far better to use your plinking sessions as range practise, use the pellets you would normally use and then the time spent plinking is well spent learning to become one with your set up. Use your plinking sessions to practise offhand shots at smallish targets, not stupidly small that you can't hit them, but say a 2" target at 30 yards and if you can hit 2 out of 10 it will give you enough confidence to practise harder and then you'll get 3 out of 10, then with more practise it will be 5 out 10. Then you can make it a bit smaller and continue.

How about throwing a fishing line with a weight on it over a tree branch, haul a target up into the tree and practise shooting at steep, upward angles from various ranges. Leave the string in place to make it easy next time. If you do these things with the same pellet it is all useful knowledge and practise gained. Doing it with cheapo pellets will tell you nothing and that to me is a complete waste of time, energy and money.

10. Rodders66

I've been advised to get jsb exacts but not been told which ?...there for .22 Air Ranger

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  11. TheDarkPassenger

I use JSB 4.53 .177 in my wolf. These are the larger of the .177 sizes available and seem to work really well.

Probably best to get yourself a tin of each size and see you you go.

For the sake of £8 a tin it won't break the bank and when you've decided, then buy them in bulk.

12. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

i use h&n ftt in my ranger ......why would you want to use different pellets mate

13. Rodders66

To save me going through the Jsb range which are the most popular in .22

14. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Dark Passenger uses the 4.53's in his so I would start with those.

15. Banshee

Banshee Engaging Member

I've been using Crossman Domed .22 14.3gr and just made the switch to RWS Superdomes .22 14.5gr and my groupings were perfect :), I only changed because everywhere I went and everyone I spoke to always did that noise the gas man makes when you ask him how much it's going to cost to repair the boiler lol

What's people's opinion on using the same weight pellets from the same Manufacturer?

For example I'm using RWS Superdomes and I want to use SuperPoint Extras when I'm out hunting

16. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

Superdome will be a far superior hunting pellet, pointed pellets are a waste of time.

17. TheDarkPassenger

Ahh, but mines a .177, so they'd be a little loose in his .22 :p

18. Banshee

Banshee Engaging Member

How so? Common sense would have told me that the pointed ones would have been better when hunting as the pointed area would make impact first and as the point has a smaller surface area to penetrate it would stop the targets dead if that makes sense

19. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

For a start, penetration is not what you need with an air rifle, you need impact energy.
    Secondly, unless the point on the pellet is absolutely smack bang on in the middle (which it rarely is) then your pellet will not hit where you intended.
    Thirdly, pointed pellets are very inefficient in ballistic terms.

It is common knowledge that pointed pellets are pretty useless all round, I'm surprised they are still seen for sale. A decent domed pellet is always the best choice for an all rounder and you will find them far more accurate at long distances.

20. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

Pointed pellets give reasonable accuracy at close-to-medium ranges, but you'll notice the domes grouping significantly better at long range, say 30 yards or more (obviously this depends on your specific rifle/pellet combination). Pointed pellets will penetrate more easily (i.e. what Banshee was saying about having a smaller surface area) but on the other hand will "bite" less easily if you happen to hit with a glancing blow; a rounded pellet is less touchy in that regard because of its head shape.

At most ranges you could actually hope to hit a kill zone with a pointed pellet, the domed pellet will have enough energy that it will still penetrate enough to kill airgun quarry. In a way, the reduced penetration is a good thing in that it is possible for a pellet to go straight through your quarry - especially at close ranges - which reduces the energy transferred to your target and thereby reduces the damage done. I'd say go with domes because they suit most situations you're likely to encounter at least as well as pointed pellets, and in other ways are better.