1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Pellets to avoid? (.22)

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jeltz, May 16, 2015.

1. Jeltz

Jeltz Member

OK I understand that the choice of "best" pellet varies according to purpose and gun but are there any brands which are not worth touching?

I'm heading towards the bottom a tub of "Pointer by Lanes" which seem just about OK but I shall try something different next time. I'll pop into the gun shop on Tuesday to pick up a new tub, just wondered if there are some which are crap and not worth a look.

2. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

This is almost the same question, some people may have the opinion that a pellet is crap, others may love them.

I tend to avoid anything gimmicky though.

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Anything smk for a start,

and with names like zombie hunters, ye know sh*te like that:)

4. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

....I just stick to lead pellets anything else is a gimmick......try superdomes or hobbys they always work for me.....cheap and cheerfull

5. Ballisticboy

Ballisticboy Busy Member

There are no hard and fast rules as to what will work in a particular gun and what won't. I have heard of cheap pellets which others avoid working fine in some guns, it all just depends on what happens to fit your particular barrel. As for anything regarded as gimmicks by some, again they may work for your barrel or they may not. The trouble with gimmick pellets is that they are badly designed and not really any improvement on conventional pellets due to the lack of knowledge of many of their designers. Conventional lead pellets are not really any better for that matter which is why you have to find a particular make of pellet or a particular batch from one die etc etc.
    All you can do is experiment and see what fits your barrel, if you are lucky it may be a cheap make.

6. twodoctors

twodoctors Engaging Member

The only one that comes to mind is the SMK Spitfire...

...but then they aren't really pellets are they! Just lumps of deformed lead really.

Adrian

7. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

Marksman pellets we have been using them at work by the thousands ten meter range lucky to hit back of range they group so well.

8. woodist

woodist Donator

I second that! Absolute bilge, cast by a 4 year old by the look of them.
    JSB exact jumbo .22 for my Remington. And the same for my QB78. .177

9. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Accupell or the same pellet in a red and blue tin, Crossman Premier Ultra magnum - superb pellets in many rifles.

10. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

SMK, Marksman or Bulldog, all tend to be between two extremes, bad and downright ruddy awful.
    Stick to the medium priced bit of the market and avoid anything with a pointed head! Use flat head only if short range ratting or paper punching at 10 metres. Stick to domed head.

Also avoid flashy things, some people are till trying to sell crates of Sussex Sabots (a real gimmick that had no aid to accuracy and left an unguidable miniature steel sliver tumbling through the air) as well as clogging up your barrel with plastic. Anything with "Red polymer tips" is aimed at the Yanks who want to shoot with ammo that looks like it was half hinchced from the Top Gun set.

Domed pellets are the best, whether Diablo, Boat Tail or Bullet shaped.

11. 177man

177man Engaging Member

What gun are you putting them through and what are you using them for are my first two questions ?

12. Ballisticboy

Ballisticboy Busy Member

????
    There are no boat tail or bullet shaped pellets except for a few home made ones which fall into the category of the slugs and are again badly designed. Domed are the best in many ways for UK air guns where the speeds are all well subsonic, though if you had lightweight pellets with higher speeds in .177 you may want to try something slightly different.

13. secretagentmole

Want to bet? Piledriver! They are a boat shape. There are a few bullet shapes in the H&N magnum range.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    H&N on the left Pax on the right.

14. Ouch!

Ouch! Donator

I'd buy a cheap sample pack of different pellets for your rifle (On evilbay) and then you can decide which pellets best suit your barrel. You shoot a litte comparison test and Bob's your Auntie's husband!

Ouch!

15. Ballisticboy

Ballisticboy Busy Member

The H&N is a slug shape not a bullet shape, anyone who fired bullets like that from a rifle would be very disappointed as the US army were with their .45 slugs which were the same shape mass distribution etc. As for the piledriver everything is wrong with it, the back end being the wrong angle, the wrong shape and just about everything else you can think of that is wrong in a tail shape. It is also not normal to put spin damping vanes down the side of a spin stabilised projectile. Both are also grossly overweight.
    Apart from that yes I agree, I had forgotten about these two designs.:eek:

16. secretagentmole

Then there are the torpedo style Ogive, Defiant etc, which are very good! I speak from experience. By the way the weight design on the Rabbit Magnum is at the head, the back is hollow so perhaps a little more examination of that you condemn? AA Fields are also heavier than the Rabbit Magnum so it looks like you really know what you are talking about doesn't it?

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  17. Ballisticboy

Ballisticboy Busy Member

Ogives, defiants etc are not bullet shaped and rely on the tail aerodynamic effects the same as any other diabolo pellet. I am surprised you do not realise this.
    I am fully aware that the weight of the magnum is in the head which for accuracy in a spin stabilised projectile is exactly where it should not be. To maximise accuracy you require the maximum value of Cma consistent with adequate gyroscopic and dynamic stability. To obtain the maximum value of Cma you do not put the centre of gravity close to the front of the bullet. Forward centres of gravity are also problematical from the point of view of increased magnus moments leading to additional dynamic stability problems. This is the mistake the .45 slug manufacturers made and was the cause of all the complaints and subsequent expensive development carried out later on a replacement. They to had concentrated the weight into the front of the projectile in the mistaken belief that it would make the projectile more accurate through increasing stability. It doesn't, it has the exact opposite effect and showed a severe lack of ballistic knowledge by the original designers. (I know I still have the relevant US report)
    As for the weight of the "bullets" you illustrate the weight of the 4.5mm Magnum round is given on the H&N site as 15.74gr and 24.69gr for the 5.5mm. I do not remember the equivalent AA Fields being heavier than this though I admit my memory is not all it used to be.

18. secretagentmole

Sorry my bad I thought that the lighter weight was for the .22! They are bricks.

19. Ballisticboy

Ballisticboy Busy Member

Bricks is probably the perfect description for them.;)

20. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

All of them....