1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Pellets Make A Big Difference

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by AHPP, Aug 23, 2007.

1. AHPP

AHPP Member

Being relatively new to more serious and precise shooting I didn't understand the importance of the right pellets... until today.

Thinking that I'd just use up some cheapo Bulldogs to zero so as not to waste some marginally more expensive RWS Field Line hollowpoints I was producing 10cm groups at 25 yards. Now I'm not a good enough shot to put pellets through polos but I was extremely well rested, felt steady and pulled smoothly. 10cm group with a fairly tasty rifle at this range! - Something's not right here, methought.

Changed to the RWS Field Line hollowpoints. Instantly better.

Groups went down to 15mm.

If you're new to shooting and thought, as I did, "Pffft. How much difference can different pellets make?" then please think again.

Moral of this story: PELLETS MATTER!

2. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

pellets

Hi AHPP, As you have found out quality does matter.
    Some barrels just don't like certain pellets,even quality ones.
    Even two identical rifles can prefer different pellets

3. dom

dom Well-Known Member

hi ps you are cirrect i got told that air arms were very good but i tried them my gun didnt like them. the best pellets ive found for my gun accupell.

4. AHPP

AHPP Member

What do people reckon to work well in HW 97Ks? Generally speaking, of course.

5. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi, My HW's feed mainly on RWS Super Dome,Super H point and H+N Field and Target trophy.
    Eley wasp 5.5 works well too (mauve tin)
    I'm always buying and trying

6. AHPP

AHPP Member

What about Eley Wasp blue tin? I think I have some in a drawer somewhere.

7. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi, Blue tin = 5.56mm Mauve tin = 5.50
    There used to be a slight difference between British and European .22 calibres because of the metric/imperial sytems.
    The blue tin 5.56 is tighter in the barrel and soaks up a few feet per second also can make the gun feel a little sluggish.
    I used to use the blue tins and didn't notice any loss of accuracy,just power and different "feel".
    Cheers PS

8. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Very good pellets for most .22's are H & N Baracuda Match - they hit the target with an almighty thud ...

9. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

best to buy a sample pack from pellpax and see which type your gun likes;)

10. AHPP

AHPP Member

Good idea but it looks (from their website) like they only do them in .20 or .25.

11. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Super Domes are what the spring HW's are designed to fire.Alledgedly.
    The reccomended pellet changed to H+N Field and Target trophy for the HW100.
    Cheers.