1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet weights not stated on the tin

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by DaveSlain, Sep 11, 2014.

1. DaveSlain

DaveSlain Active Member

I've been reading up about chrono-ing my guns as this is all new to me and one thing that's clear is that pellet weight is an important factor in speed/power tests.

I have 4 tins of .177 pellets, 2 different brands.

TR .177s (here is a pic of the tin: http://www.ronniesunshines.com/milbro-tr-177-pellets.html )
    Webley Venom Lazadome (I can only assume these came with the weapons originally as all my guns are Webley (I inherited the lot)).

Neither of the tins state the weight of the pellets.

I found the link above by searching for them to see if there was any online info giving the weight, but that webstore has obviously just copied what was said on the tin when listing the product. So when it comes to me zeroing and eventually getting a chrono, how am I going to know what I am/will be using? I am planning on hunting eventually and I intend to take this as seriously as I can to avoid unclean kills. I did find another forum that suggests the Lazadomes are 9.0g. Do pellet weights vary much between pellet?

In the meantime I guess they are fine for a bit of practise plinking but the idea of binning 2000 rounds because I don't know what weight they are somewhat galls me. Of course, I could get some fine digital scales and weigh a few and average it, but I know how inaccurate cheap scales can be, so it probably defeats the object. I read that post about heavy pellets taking air weapons over legal power and just saying "Oh I read the pellet weight on an internet forum" doesn't sound like a particularly good defence! Am I worrying a bit much about this at this stage?

A further question, what's the 'average' or medium weight of a .177 pellet?

Cheers

2. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

3. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Check out your local Electrical Shop and pick up a set of Micro scales

You should be able to get a reasonable set for around £20.00 plus that allows you to weigh in each pellet

Many serious shooters do not go by what's stated on Tins or Boxes

BOB/R

4. DaveSlain

DaveSlain Active Member

Thanks guys.

Found that database pretty interesting!

I actually have some Prometheus Pellets too, with a yellow plastic 'tail'. Like this: http://www.ronniesunshines.com/177-prometheus-pellets.html
    Anyone have any views on their effectiveness for hunting? I'm not sure what the dome is made of but presumably the pellet won't mushroom as much as a lead pellet.

5. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

When I read that bit I happened to glance to the left and saw your username :eek:.

:D

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Bob is right, the weights do vary from batch to batch and the weight stated on the tin. There are some half decent scales about if you want to buy a set.
    I know nothing about these pellets but I have seen a suggestion that they are AA Field/JSB Exact variants which would give a nominal weight of 8.4 grains. I wouldn't worry about them pushing your rifle over the limit as it sounds as though they are a medium weight pellet.
    With respect to the Prometheus pellets I would suggest you try and sell them to someone who's particularly gullible as you will almost certainly find that they don't group well at all, by all means try them but you'll probably get plastic smeared up the barrel as well.

7. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Best place for the Prometheus pellets?the dustbin.Average weight for a .177 pellet is just over 8grns,say 8.3/8.4.I bought a set of mini scales,Myco MZ-100,from Amazon they cost about £7.99 and they work perfectly,certainly good enough for what you want to use them for.

8. Strewth !

Strewth ! Engaging Member

They do penetrate rather well, problem is hitting what you're aiming at. (I tried throwing mine into the dustbin and they missed that too).

9. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

Hi Dave, if you can get yourself over to old Downs Pursuits at Cirencester one Sunday morning (opening times on their website) we can weigh your pellets for you and help with getting you set up for killing .'s critters once you've learnt to hit a 5p piece at all of your hunting ranges. Regarding going over power with heavier pellets, yes, sometimes that can happen. Send me a pm if you want to meet up with the hunting and target guys at old Downs.
    Dave

10. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Now that's what I call funny lmao! That def appeals to my daft sense of humor LOL :D

Andy :)

11. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Prometheus Plastic skirted are made for Unchocked Barrels - Not really suitable for precharged or Chocked Rifles

In unchocked Rifles they are effective -

Defiants are made of Lead are more effective - www.defiantpellets.com

Or none deforming try Zinc Thunderbolts sold by SMKs - Same shape & Design as Defiants but made of Zinc - worked

BOB/R

12. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Current Batches of Prometheus - Plastic Skirts do not shred in most barrels
    Was changed some time ago

But as often State they are made for Unchocked Barrels - Main appeal is they do not flatern in Sub 12FP Guns

Can not believe that there is still a market for them - But aware numbers order from Factory suprises All concerned
    Bills have to be paid -

Noticed that several other Manufactures have brought out their versions - For USA Market and other places that are Banning and Restricting Lead Air Gun Pellets - Yes Pax's patient has expired -

BOB/R

13. DaveSlain

DaveSlain Active Member

Thanks for the heads up, I might well do that. I'm in Bristol but the in-laws are in Gloucestershire so not much of a detour one weekend hopefully. I'm making myself a pellet trap at work tomorrow (I've got about two boxes of Gamo targets to play with) and I'll practice zeroing in my basic scope (4x20) and practising. Its been about 8 years since I've used this rifle.

Another question for you chaps.

When a pellet is deformed in the tin, how deformed is too deformed to use? If the skirt (that's what I'm going to call it) is even remotely un-circular should I just bin it? Obviously its no good if air is escaping round the side, but is it the head of the pellet more important in the respect? I'm only talking about slightly squashed skirts here, not the dome, or rounds that have clearly been in a mangle/squashed underfoot.