1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Pellet weighing

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Bemused, May 21, 2014.

1. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Just out of intrest how important is pellet weighing.

I just weighed a random sample of JSB Exact 4.52mm 8.44gr 0.547g

1. 0.540
    2. 0.542
    3. 0.544
    4. 0.546
    5. 0.546
    6. 0.556
    7. 0.548
    8. 0.554
    9. 0.542
    10. 0.540

OK its a small sample and in grams.
    I weighed each one 5 times to prove my scale, the scale agreed to 0.002g, its minimum resolution. Its not a pellet scale if there is such a thing.
    Any comments, who weighs and sorts and how?

Regards
    Tony

2. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

ive never weighed pellets in my life or washed them either but I can still cloverleaf all day long at 35 yard not sure I could get much better

3. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Hi Tony

Be careful, you are getting too close to the light when you start weighing pellets:eek:

Had a quick play with Chairgun and converted your figures back to grains via a converter.

The upshot is:

Your lowest figure is 8.33grains, which at 11.5ftlb is 789fps.

Your highest figure is 8.58grains, which at 11.5ftlb is 777fps.

The AA quoted figure is 8.44grains, which at 11.5ftlb is 783fps - right between you two high/low examples.

This only makes a maximum difference of around 2 to 3 mm at 40meters in perfect conditions.

So in conclusion, if you are a serious competition shooter you will do everything possible to give consistency to your shots, and therefor weigh and wash your pellets. If your like me and think your doing well by hitting the target in the first place, gaining a potential 2mm at 40m is not worth it, I'd do better concentrating on practice and positioning.

You now have the info........................it's up to you if you think it's worth the trouble?

James

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I did weigh some Air Arms Field in 0.177 as I wanted to check consistency before doing a shot string. I had about half a tin of the batch I had been using and sorted them out to the nearest 0.1 grain and found quite a variation. As I didn't have enough of any one weight to do a full string I opened another tin which was from a different batch. When I had finished I found weoghts from 8.1 gn to 8.9 gn which is a considerable difference. The second tin was about 0.2 gn heavier thaan the first. About 2/3 of the pellets were either 8.4 gn or 8.5 gn so quite close to the nominal weight of 8.44gn but with some significant variation.
    Although there were only a few pellets at the extreme weights they could still result in changes to the point of impact. Almost none of the pellets showed any signs of damage. So far I've not had an opportunity to check the poi of the different weights as this would need perfect conditions and I've not been able to get access to an indoor 35 yard range recently.

5. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I used to weigh pellets, but I gave up bothering as I couldn't see any real difference between the batches.
    Recently someone with Chairgun kindly worked out for me that a 3 grain difference 14.3 - 14.6 grains, translated to about 15mm at 50M. As I'm hunting & not chasing one hole groups at extreme ranges, now I don't weigh pellets & I don't worry about it either.

6. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Most Wasted Design Pellets are made on Multi Head Dies - So in a Tin you could have a very good variation

In most cases most will still give good results -

Weighing is bad - putting them through was resizing Die is a Worry -

BOB/R

7. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    the only time i weigh a pellet, is when i'm chronoing the rifle - that way, my figures are exact, with minimum error.
    i'm not a good enough shot to benefit from weighing/sorting the pellets for use, but in theory, sorted pellets will make a difference to accuracy if your rifle is consistant. how much tho, is debatable

8. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Thanks all, your comments are appreciated.

James, thanks for taking the trouble to stick the numbers into chairgun.
    I only shoot for fun but have a lot of fun shooting 6mm bkanks at 35 yards, this i am not so successful at. Best yet is 18 shots to bag all ten blanks in the Gr8fun bottle bank but on occasion I get far worse results. Maybe weight variations ratify my results.

Secondary zero at 15 yards is one shot one bang, no challange and quite boring.

The sample weights were just ten random pellets from a tin so I expect a little more deviation out of a full 500 so one rainy day I may just weigh a whole tin in order to find out just what the standard deviation is. Armed with an SD I may then just sort 50 best weights bang in the middle of the SD and use them for zeroing and use them for taking to church on Sundays.

Regards
    Tony

9. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

For testing pellet weights in a tin I take a random selection of 50 pellets, some from the top when I open the tin, then take a load out and get another batch from the middle, then another lot from the bottom - then get the rest from the ones I have taken out. Weigh those 50 to get a good idea of the spread of weights.

10. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Thanks