1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet tray vs magazine and accuracy

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by TheDarkPassenger, Feb 19, 2012.

1. TheDarkPassenger

TheDarkPassenger Engaging Member

I note a lot of people talk of using a single shot tray rather than a magazine for accuracy.

I'm interested to know why this would make a difference, as to my mind no matter how a pellet gets in the barrel, once it's there it wshould surely go in the same direction as all the others.

The only thing that I can think of is maybe some magazines could be rough on the pellet which may deform it a little.

2. ojs

ojs Posting Addict

I think that would be about it. Some mags are a little tight and can deform the pellet skirt.
    I changed from Multi to single due to the fact that I was getting lazy with my shot timing and breathing because I knew I had a shot ready within another second. Sort of rattled through pellets and then realised my grouping was awful.
    You never know, there may be psychological benefits to single shot :)

3. Largerider

Largerider Posting Addict

There can be misalignment causing pellet clipping.

4. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

As above reasons,also look at mags o,rings under mag-glass and youll notice little wear marks,that little bit of rubber each time can displace your shot a littlebut a little counts on accurracy over 30 yrds or so,minor i know but theres alot of people reverting back to single shot trays, just my opinion...Ratz

5. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

As above people have covered the normal reason, i have had no trouble with any of my rifles regarding the magazine. But in one of the airgun mags (can't think which one) Mathew Manning uses a Daystate mk4 FAC and did a write up about how shooting with the mag it would not group right but with the single shot adaptor it was spot. I think off the top of my head said it was some to do with it running at FAC levels?

6. DougR

DougR Busy Member

I like to feel the fit of the pellet in the barrel - if it doesn't feel right - "call the shot" - fire that pellet into the ground.

7. banger12

banger12 Engaging Member

I dissagree, i shoot both mag on my hw100 and various single shots in the club, accuracy is the same, after all, all the mag does is rotate the pellet.. i think its a lot of balls..
    rob

8. dylan

dylan Donator

with the hw100 the mag system its just that good ,if you take the daystate mag they dont seem to like the shorter pellet as much (well mine dosn't) if i use falcon accuracy it will shoot a 1 hole group at 30 yrd with single shot tray, but with the mag it opens up sightly

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. banger12

banger12 Engaging Member

well yes, same with the hw100 mag, but short pellets are ussually cheapo nasty ones.. as i noticed the spitfires can be tricky to get into the mag, but thats got nothing to do with accuracy. the mag simply rotates the pellets then the pin uniformly pushes the pellet into the barrol, making a much better job than i could, i really dont think the single shot argument holds any water..
    as to your grouping comment, you are probably just shooting faster with the mag.

10. dylan

dylan Donator

i think shooting with the mag system is a lot faster, but when using a mag it only got to a nats knacker out of line and it can make a differance ,the more its out the more it can affect the accuracy,

11. banger12

banger12 Engaging Member

i honestly dont see how,
    if you look at what the mag mechanism is doing, its just loading it for you, its prety much impossible for it to load it in squint by is very nature..where as human error makes it quite likley to load it slightly squeiff..
    i am sorry mate, but i will never agree that using single shot is more accurate than using a mag.. it just dosent make any sense.:rolleyes:
    rob

12. dylan

dylan Donator

you dont after agree with me on that ,i dont think either of us will lose any sleep over it ,
    but it can:D

13. banger12

banger12 Engaging Member

naw naw :D

14. Oryctolagus

Oryctolagus Posting Addict

As said before the magazines can deform the skirt. With a magazine the pellet is being forced through one hole into the breech. The damage occurs before it enters the breech not after. With trays or hand loaded they are placed inside. Every now and again I can feel my pellet "catch" when replacing the bolt.

15. banger12

banger12 Engaging Member

how can the mag damage the skirt ? its a soft rubber ring.. not possible..

16. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

The only reason i didn't go to multi is because i didn't have scope mounts tall enough for the multi to fit in the pellet loading area. In all honesty i was GLAD!

In my opinion you should be accurate enough and capable enough of killing your quarry with one shot and one shot only (purely in a hunting sense i'm talking). Obviously in the real world it doesn't always go like that but loading of another pellet takes seconds anyway so multi to me is a gimmick. Even with a direct kill, i load up again even before taking a step towards my kill just out of habit.

17. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

Very possible.

Just a pellet knocking into another in your pouch or tub or whatever can deform the skirt easily. You only have to squeeze the skirt between your finger and thumb and it squashes.

I would say the rubber in a mag is quite firm to ensure the pellet loads correctly.

18. Oryctolagus

Oryctolagus Posting Addict

For hunting mag is more than fine the difference is very slight, only noticeable if your competing.
    Find out for yourself, get a large volume of water, shoot 20 pellets hand loaded and 20 with the mag. Then inspect the pellets. If no damage seen............. shoot 100 of each.

19. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

As stated it doesn't effect accuracy as its just a device putting pellet in same as hand loading single one! The single shot mag/tray were developed for field target as with a multishot you have to remove mag walking from one lane to another. I see guys using S510 quite regularly which is a dedicated multi shot gun. The HW100 system is still the best and the best magazines. But as stated one shot is all that is required but night time shooting multi shots are so handy! Also in cold weather freezing fingers getting 177s out of your pouch!

20. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

It's possible damage could occur but using smaller head size or different length etc can stop that happening. But I agree it wouldn't make much difference if it did then how can I put pellet on pellet 14times no flyers with a HW100 or S510.