1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Pellet Selection And Barrel Cleaning

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by PaulE90, Sep 10, 2018.

1. PaulE90

PaulE90 Active Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been shooting springers for about 4 years (i have a Webley Stingray ii Quattro and a Weihrauch HW 95 K) and i am looking to improve my accuracy be selecting the best pellet for my rifle.

My question is- when trying different pellet brands should i clean the barrel, between brands, to ensure that that barrel is leaded with that particular pellet brand?
    I found one article, linked below, which says that all i need to do is to fire '20 pellets or so' pellets to sufficiently lead the barrel- no cleaning.

http://www.airgunshooting.co.uk/exp...ve-the-right-pellet-for-your-airgun-1-4862538

Im looking to test my HW 95 K and looking to test the following branded pellets- H & N field target trophies, JSB exact diabolos, Daystate Rangemaster Sovereign and Weihrauch pellets.

2. PHOENIXFLIER

PHOENIXFLIER Engaging Member

I have recently gone through this procedure. After cleaning the barrel my grouping was worse!. Just plug and play now, and consistent grouping has returned.

TORNADOS7 and DRAGONBAIT666 like this.
  3. PaulE90

PaulE90 Active Member

Thanks for replying so quick. That was my worry if i clean the barrel- that i would have to put, possibly lots, of pellets before the accuracy returns which would give me mix results when testing. Think i will skip the cleaning and fire about 50 pellets from each brand and see how i get on.

4. Scubashot

Scubashot Busy Member

The Weihrauch F&T Special pellets are the same as the H&N FTT pellets but in 4.51 or 5.51mm.
    The same applies to the Weihrauch FT-Exact which are a 4.51 or 5.51 mm version of the JSB Exact.
    Weihrauch claim to finish their barrels to 4.51 and 5.51 mm and therefore market their pellets in those sizes.
    They certainly work well in my 0.22" HW77 and HW100S as pellet testing indicates them to have the highest muzzle energy and be most accurate.

DRAGONBAIT666 and PaulE90 like this.
  5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 BRIT SEALS - M & M Products - TbT

Personally I switch without cleaning.

DRAGONBAIT666 likes this.
  6. Boo2

Boo2 Well-Known Member

Why woukd Weihrauch choose to finish their barrels to that size can I ask ?

7. phil.m

phil.m Donator

I'm no expert but I've tried both methods when pellet testing my compatto.

I found firing approx 50 pellets (no cleaning) got the grouping to about as small as it would be.
    The group size wouldn't change much even if I carried on & fired half a tin.

I didn't do this with all pellets, some were so unsuitable that I wish I hadn't bothered firing 50.
    I only fired more than 50 with the pellets that it liked & for testing to see how the groups opened up at different ranges.

Cleaning the barrel between each pellet was time consuming & I noticed no improvement Vs just firing 50.

I tried to make this as fair as possible by testing the same pellets that I'd just tested, but cleaning in between rather than just firing 50.

PaulE90 likes this.
  8. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

It's a long time since I did any serious pellet testing but when I did I tried all methods.
    No cleaning,
    just shooting means having to put quite a few pellets up the spout before the results settle down. Going back to known good pellets also took a while to return to any kind of accuracy.

Full cleaning.
    Over the chrono this dropped power quite significantly but crept up slowly over 20 shots. Another 30-50 to lead in properly.

Dry pull through.
    Once or twice worked best, I found the barrel leaded in quicker with just a dry pull through. generally within 20 shots.

9. PaulE90

PaulE90 Active Member

Thanks,

I think i will try the dry pull through method and see how i get on. The dry pull through method seems to be the happy medium between not cleaning at all and doing a full clean.

10. PaulE90

PaulE90 Active Member

So correct me if i'm wrong but it sounds like the H & N, JSB and Weihrauch pellets are more or less the same pellet just in a different tin? and that all i really have to settle on is the best head size?

11. PHOENIXFLIER

PHOENIXFLIER Engaging Member

Paul, I would not get hung up on pellet head size. Apparantly, the average tin contains a mix!. I tried measuring them once, but gave up and went to the pub. To establish the best pellet for your gun, purchase a trial box of pellets from Pellpax. I bought 20 different types from them, and after much testing (fun), and by a process of elimination (more fun), found the most consistant pellet for my gun. Some guns are more "pellet fussy" than others, so its definately worth a go. Hope this helps.

PaulE90 likes this.
  12. Scubashot

Scubashot Busy Member

The two Weihrauch pellets are essentially rebadged H&N FTT and JSB Exact in the 4.51 and 5.51mm sizes.
    I believe that Hull Cartridge often quote that the finished size of Weihrauch is as stated. Whether they are made to 4.5 and 5.5 mm and the finishing process removes the extra material I couldn't say. If you are interested try e mailing Weihrauch or call HC and ask.

PaulE90 likes this.
  13. pelletcaster

pelletcaster Engaging Member

I'm regularly fettling/tuning springers for shooting buddies just out of interest and for fun.
    Proper barrel cleaning/polish is one of the main tasks.

Finding the right pellet is a learning process and I don't clean the barrel in between as long as grouping is (still) acceptable.
    Starting with the softer pellets (usually JSB) I switch to HN, then to RWS. If nothing groups nicely I'll try some lead free ones too preferably HN FTT green and HN Baracuda green.

While working with the lead pellets the change of type / head size usually requires just 5 to 10 more or less erratic shots to produce clear stable results, switching between brands may take up to 20 - 25 shots (usually not more).
    From lead to lead-free not more than 5 - 10, back to lead maybe up to 20.

Any change in spring length or preload usually changes the whole game and pellet finding process starts all over again.

PaulE90 likes this.
  14. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

I never bother anymore and that includes cleaning the barrel "unless" something goes drastically awry that is...

15. talent

talent Posting Addict

That's what the Mrs said

PaulE90 likes this.