1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet seating tools (Recoiling Guns)

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by David, Jul 30, 2007.

1. David

David Engaging Member

This information is based on personal experience.

I had brought a gun mag the other day which had a free pellet seating tool which allows a pellet to be pushed into the gun breach a little bit further than your finger/thumb would.

The reviews of this small pen like object suggested it seats the pellet squarely into the barrel giving greater accuracy and less damage to the pellet skirt.

Unfortunately What they don’t say is you are changing the ‘lock time’ of the gun, in springers this will must certainly cause ‘dry-fire’ the same effect you will have if there is no pellet in the chamber when you pull the trigger

Definition of lock time:
    One of the biggest drawbacks of the spring piston system is its double recoil. When the spring-powered piston is released, it accelerates forward, thrusting the rifle backwards similar to a powder gun. However, before this feeling of firing becomes apparent, the piston bangs into the front end of the compression chamber, causing it to stop the rifle's backward movement abruptly, making it violently snapping forward, all this moving happens while the pellet has not yet left the barrel. In fact, at the time the piston hits the front end of the pressure chamber, the pellet has just started to move. The time interval from the piston release to the moment the pellets starts to move in the bore is called the lock time.

You can see why pushing a pellet that little bit further down the barrel will result in serious damage to your gun more air is needed to allow the pellet to be correctly propelled and as springers have a set lock time the piston is not cushioned by the pellet itself will result in dry-firing

Take care

David

2. Mick Dundee

Mick Dundee Engaging Member

Pellet seating.

David, you must be joking! Seating a pellet only moves it forward a fraction, to say this is going to damage a gun is ridiculous. There would certainly not be a measurable increase in lock time.

3. David

David Engaging Member

Im sorry mate I base this from personal experience and see no other reason why my gun would dry-fire unless I have done something different eg pellet seating tool and believe me when I say this I did load a pellet, the thing just flopped out of the barrel

David

4. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

lock time

forgive me if i,m wrong but is,nt lock time worked out from the moment the trigger is release to the moment the pellet leaves the barrel?....... as for seating the pellet with a toolthis should make no difference to the lock time, it just stops the skirt of the pellet being deformed when closing the action on a break barrel rifle...imo

5. David

David Engaging Member

while I understand it hard to accept that a p/seating tool could allow a springer to dry fire, a better way to understand it might be to go to http://airgunner.org/?cat=10 which is what made me think the seating tool was to blame

Cheers David

6. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Seating tool

Pellet seating doesn't affect the accuracy of my Gat one bit!:D

7. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

pellet seating

Seriously now!,I seem to remember when I tried it I could notice a difference in the "feel" of the gun but I don't think it seriously affected performance.It didn't improve things either.
    IMO to damage a gun this way you would have to push the pellet a good few inches down the barrel.
    Pellet sizing is better,maybe?
    Cheers.

8. Mick Dundee

Pellet seating

The other day I tried out my pellet seater and shot through my Combro. Power was down by a tenth of a ft. lb. compared with a thumbed in pellet. Will try it again to make sure.

9. Mick Dundee

pellet seating

Tried eight pellets and the highest power (by one tenth of a ft. lb.) was
    obtained with a thumbed in pellet. However, I don't fully trust a Combros results when it's used in sunlight.

10. David

David Engaging Member

Well I must have pushed the pellet too far into the barrel allthough it seems difficult to comprehend the distance I actually pushed it forward would cause something similar to dry firing which it sounded like, I will simply have to use the traditional way.......using my fingers.

Thankyou all for your imput

David