1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet ricochet off rabbit's head??

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Nexus180, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Nexus180

Nexus180 Engaging Member

Hi all - I may be imagining it, but I have had a couple of shots recently where I suspect the pellet may have hit a rabbit's head and then ricocheted off??

I am using a .177 12ft/lbs and the rabbit has been hit in the head and they've gone down, but immediately after hearing the crack as the pellet has hit the rabbit I've heard a second impact that sounds like the pellet hitting the backstop for the shot (eg a barn some distance away) - has anyone ever had this?

The ricochet impact sound sounded like it was coming from directly behind the bunny (about 30m behind), but I don't think its simply my pellet going straight through (which does happen with a lot of my headshots, even though rifle is consistently chronoing at 11.4ft/lbs) due to the angle of trajectory being from slightly above the bunny (ie supported standing shots with bunny at 25m in the middle of a field). The only other thought I've had is that as these situations have been on v quiet nights in largely enclosed fields (ie with barns/ fences around them), I could be hearing the echo of the first impact on the bunny's head (but I really don't think so - it sounded more like a pellet hitting something hard)?

Related query - would I be right in thinking that ricochets are less common with .22 and even less common with FAC air?

Cheers

2. Damon

Damon Posting Addict

Very common for a .177 pellet to travel straight through a rabbit. As long as they are dying instantly I don't see it as being a problem.

3. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Is it passing straight through the said rabbits head ??? And u checked the rabbits afterwards the entry hole is tiny on a 177 and exit hole a little bigger tne problem will onlyget worse with fac

4. keithy

keithy Very Active

Also they may not always exit in line with where they went in. If there is no exit hole i would think it is a true richochet.:cool:

5. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

What you done is eared it, hit a rabbit in ear can sound like you have hit it clean in the head, it sometime can knock the bunnie for 6

6. warrenater

warrenater Donator

7. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Best get a .22;):)

8. rabbitraider1

rabbitraider1 Engaging Member

Sorry not sure if I've mis read or being stupid did you say you had killed it with the shot or did it hop off unharmed? If you killed it did you see any holes? It sounds like it may have passed through and then ricocheted then again.
    I once shot a rabbit in the head with a .22lr, heard the ricochet noise and assumed it had gone through and bounced off the ground,
    Walked over the rabbit was stone dead and not a mark on it anywhere, its head was intact no entrance or exit wound, no damage to any of the body on skinning on it, strangest thing was it was a standing shot from less than 30yds into the back of its head,
    the only thing I can think of is I missed it ricocheted off the ground and the fear of the ordeal scared it to death :p

9. rabbitraider1

rabbitraider1 Engaging Member

On the plus side if that is what happens I'm sure the bunny will thank you as its not that cheap anymore to get you're ear pierced and clip ons just aren't the same

10. gargloit

gargloit Posting Addict

Second impact noise is an echo of the first?

11. Nexus180

Nexus180 Engaging Member

thanks for replies. I have had two suspected ricochets. the first one I think I have worked out - I recall that he was looking at me and I shot him between the eyes before hearing what sounded like ricochet impact on barn directly behind him but slightly higher than him. it has been suggested on another forum that if you hit a rabbit front-on the slope of its forehead can cause ricochet, so that is what I think happened here - didn't know of this risk, but won't be taking front on shots any more. the second is a mystery and rabbit was killed, checked it and pellet definitely did not pass straight through as no exit wound. he was sat in the middle of a field at 20m range and I shot him standing - then I think I immediately heard impact of pellet on a fence that was behind him about 30m away

12. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

That's terrible, but also very funny lol :D

Andy :)

13. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I hit a 25 yard sitter in the noggin with my .177 Ultra a few nights ago, as the pellet hit there was a loud crack - I was convinced it was going to keel over but to my utter surprise it just scuttled off into the bushes!

I believe that was a ricochet, I'm going back to .22 on the next outing to see if the bigger calibre can improve the success rate of a clean kill!

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

25 yrds is the worst distance for a shooting .177 in the field inmo.

Because if your zeroed to 30yrds which most do me included, then your pellet is crossing your sightline about 16-18 yrds and raising above your sightline at a peak around 23-26 yrds and then dropping onto your 30yrds ish zero.

So in other words for a 25yrd shot you have to aim about a mildot low, because your shot is going high.

Ill guarantee if you were shooting from say 30-35 yrds rested every bunny would be skull cracked and rolling in its back.

Your probably skimming the top of the head or ears.

Trust me when a .177 pellet hits a rabbit skull in the right place it hardly moves they just roll over often without a kick again nothing to do with calibre just need to get the shot in the right place that's all, this is where your pellet needs to be [​IMG]

If it passes through or not all depends on the size and age of the rabbit and how far away you are but .177 cal really makes range judgement for easier than any other sub 12 so just stick with it.

15. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

For once engraver I disagree. Most people I have always been led to believe and myself included zero for 35 yards and aim pretty much bang on centre of cross hairs between about 15 to 38 yards that is the beauty of .177 you should not be having to aim off between these ranges. I do agree though I'll bet you lug holed it remember range finding at night especially with nv is a pain in the arris. You will get to know that distinctive crack of pellet on skull, every time I hear it I know the shot is good. Have to agree with engraver if the pellet hits the right spot that rabbit is going nowhere .177 or .22 if it runs off it wasn't hit right.

16. warrenater

warrenater Donator

sorry i agree with engraver just set a target out at 15 and 25 and another at 35 i but the 25 is shooting high as engraver predicted .

17. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Not if set at 35 yards at 25 yards it will still be in the point blank range yes maybe slightly high but still in the kill zone. I never aim off at that range if I did I may as well switch back to .22