1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Pellet Mysteries: What is happening to Pellets?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by datadave, Mar 13, 2012.

1. datadave

datadave Engaging Member

:confused: I recently bought a tin of 22 Hobby to use in my 16-year old BSA Supersport Custom Carbine. They looked different to the remnants of an 'old' tin, with the old green lid, being more silvery, brighter (yes, I know they are new) and I think, harder. More importantly, they were much tighter in the breech than the 'old' ones and quite difficult to 'thumb in'. Does anyone know of any changes in the manufacturer/manufacturing process/alloy used etc of these pellets?

This spurred me into looking through my pellet stock and I found an old (blue) tin of IMI Eley Wasp pellets. The tin was labelled 'No.2 (.22) 5.6mm'. These were a 'nice' fit in the breech, thumbing in easily without showing signs of being a sloppy fit. I decided to look at some figures: .22" = 5.588mm; 5.6mm = 0.2205" and 5.5mm = .2165". So, in a gun as old as my Supersport, which presumably has a nominal .22 barrel rather than a 5.5mm, I would have expected the 22 Hobby - nominally 5.5mm - to be a looser fit in the breech than the No.2 Eley Wasp.

Incidentally, who manufactures Wasp now? They certainly don't appear to be the pellet they once were. I notice that a lilac-coloured tin labelled 'Wasp No.3. (.22) 5.5mm' didn't carry the label 'Eley' or IMI! According to the figures, these should be the ones to use in the SS - and should be tighter in the breech than the Hobbies!

:rolleyes: Light on the mystery, please!

Cheers - datadave

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

where the old tin you mentioned gecos? other wise in my hatsan hobby's are tight in the breach but shoot fine and there still cheap
    Wasps are owned by bisley now but im unsure who acctually owns the tooling that makes them.some wasps are very tight,impossible to get into the breach and some slide in then when i bring the barrel back up fall out of the breach

3. Bolor

Bolor Banned BANNED

The wasp tooling was broken up many years ago and there has been a couple of diferent types over the years. They are now budget plinking pellets along with the likes of bulldogs and spitfires. They are ok for short range plinking fun but not for hunting. Try rws superdomes for a reasonable priced pellet that shoots straight.

4. datadave

datadave Engaging Member

The old tin was definitely Hobbies - in the old style green tin. I find that the 'new' tin Hobbies shoot fine in the Ole Lady's Crosman 2240. I'll certainly give the S'domes a try - not tried them in 22 but they seem fine in 177 - although less 'universal' than JSB Exact - which seem to suit most guns I've tried them in.

Cheers - datadave

5. datadave

datadave Engaging Member

Hi Bolor

Yes, I think that the S/domes may be worth a try. I've had reasonable results with 177 in certain guns but not tried the 22 in the BSA. Certainly will, though. I've really lost touch with what's what in 22 - shooting almost exclusively 177 now. Shame that what was once considered a 'quality' pellet has now joined the ranks of the 'cheap plinker', though. C'est la vie!

Cheers - datadave

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

superdomes are great but gone up in price now,yup hobbies are great in my .22 springer aswell as .177 pcp

7. reaper6

reaper6 Banned BANNED

Superdomes work well in any Weihrauch.....good value for money

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

superdomes work well in any gun,hobby's seem to be hit and miss,they work in one of my s400s but not in the other

9. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

They dont in my hw100 .22 just cal me machine gun kelly.

10. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Domes or Field - good quality pellets all round that love German barrels :up:

11. JD

JD Donator

Pellet dies/moulds wear out and when new dies are made, they do not always get it right, alot of pellets have changed in appearence, weight and size. John Darling would say, Buy as many pellets as you can afford from the same batch, that work in your rifle, i do wonder how long 50,000 pellets would last ?

12. Gizza22196

Gizza22196 Guest

bought 5000 superdomes the other day, im onto the last 20 of my older batch so i hope this new batch will be as accurate

13. bradleymarky

bradleymarky Keyboard Hero

I bought 10 different makes of pellets a couple of weeks ago and the superdomes were the best followed by the accupell, might seem strange but they dont smell the same as they did when i was a lad !

14. lewis850

lewis850 Keyboard Hero

were you get them from gizza ?? link please mate

15. Gizza22196

Gizza22196 Guest

16. JD

JD Donator

Of all the things you could sniff, you choose pellets, been there, done that, but never put pellets in my mouth though, how many used to do that ?