1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Pellet Grains.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jafman, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Jafman

Jafman Member

Hello. I've just returned to shooting after a 10 year absence. I have experience with Rifles and shotguns from a 3 years wildlife managment course I did years ago along with some military firearm experience from the part timers.

Air guns are something more or less new to me. Ive fired them before as a youn un but didnt know much other than how to cock and fire it. Ammo choice was whatever we could jam in the barrrel usually bits of chewed up paper or plastacine when the pellets ran out :eek:

Ive read the pellets thread ( sticky) and found it very helpfull and after looking for more info decided to post as I could not see a topic that covers Grains/mass of projectiles. ( honetly someone will post me a link to one now if so Ill go sit in the corner)

OK so Ive bought an entry level non FAC rifle. Its a .22 GAMO and uses inert gas piston rather than a spring. But im guessing the diferences are marginal.

Now the model states a velocity of 1300 FPS with a 9.6 grain BSA pellet. ( sounds far fetched to me what do you think?) surely that pellets is going to spazz all over the place at that speed?

Anyhow Im waffling here. what I really want to know is what grain of pellet I should use for hunting rabbits. Im estimating my ambush range at 30-40 yards and a stalking range of 20-30 yards with the thinking being that I can hit further when im ranged in more accuratley on a well know killing area. Ive no idea on whats the normal grain use for killing bunnies other than that too low and the round will fly wherever it wants and too high and it will drop like a mortar round.

So what grain should I use? .22 dome heads minimum 20 yards maximum 40 yards. I know a precise answer is impossible but a general idea of min and max grains would be really helpfull.

Just a side note Im going to put at least 100 rounds through the gun before I even leave my lawn to hunt. And only if I can group consitently..wounding animals makes me sad;)

thanks in advance.. oh and great forums btw :D

2. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Hi
    Pellet choice is very important it not about what ftlb /fps your are getting from your combo it
    accuracy it all come down to if you can hit it you can kill it , Try a few different brands /weights
    domed type and see what suits your gun best and go from there also practice as much as possible
    to get your accuracy consistent hope this helps Atb Si

3. mattyts

mattyts Donator

9.6 grain and 1300 FPS is 36 Ft/Lb so it's either an FAC or a load of lies from the manufacturer.

I would worry about the accuracy first then weight,if you can find a pellet that's more accurate than anything else,it's often worth sacrificing some range/extra holdover.

RWS Superdomes,JSB Exacts and AA fields are good starting points.

4. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

A 9.6 grn pellet at that speed is something like 36 ftlbs, if it does that you could be in deep trouble!
    Your best bet is a lead dome head pellet, typically something like AA Fields, JSB Exact or possibly something from Crosman or RWS. H&N FTT can also be good. Weights will be from approx. 14 grns upwards.
    Whatever you try, make sure you try them over a chrono to ensure you're well below 12 ft lbs.
    The formula is velocity X velocity X pellet weight in grns divided by 450240.
    Regards
    Tim

5. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Can you even get 9 grain pellets in .22 they would be very exotic pellets if they exist.

Try some 14-16 grain dome heads. Jsb, air arms, rws, etc
    Cheers Andy

6. Jafman

Jafman Member

OK thanks for your responses. yes I agree I think they are telling porkies about that FPS. good job or id be in trouble!

oops some more answers appeared while I typed.

OK chaps I understand now normal range is 15 +/- 5 grains.

that gives me a good ballpark so Im not ordering and wating cash on pellets not fit for purpose.

again thank you so much. Ill order 3 small tins and see what works :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  7. Jafman

Jafman Member

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

30 isn't really enough,better to buy 100...I bought full tins,chances are you'll buy another gun so keep them for future testing.

9. Jafman

Jafman Member

Ive bought 3 tins of the recommended brands. all are around the 15 gr mark.

Thanks again for the info and help. :)