1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

PELLET CLEANING

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by stevemandm, Feb 4, 2014.

1. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    i know its a hotly debatable subject - to clean or not ?, but i am a firm believer in doing so.
    those that know me, know i am an engineer by trade, so i am familier with most engineering and manufacturing processes. as far as the pellet manufacturing process goes, it always produces swarf or slivers. these contaminants (bits of lead) usually end up sticking to the machinery, in particular the dies used in the process. whilst most of the contaminants get blown away, or fall off, some stick to the pellets (in the hollow internal of the skirt, or to the outside due to the manufacturing lubricant), and invariably, end up on the final product in the tin. the lead contaminant that sticks to the dies, is also subject to continuous fluctuations in temperature, so the final hardness could be affected (ie, some bits harder or softer than others). if this contaminent is fired down the barrel, it could either cause spots of inconsistancy in the barrel leading, or if it stays on the pellet, cause an inbalance, ultimately affecting accuracy. all these 'problems' incurred with 'dirty pellets' may be negligable at short range, but at longer range, could be more pronounced. i'm a firm believer in removing all the variables that you can in order to give you the best possible shot, and this includes pellet cleaning.
    also, after cleaning, you need to lube the pellets to stop them from oxydising, and for this i use LT1.
    below is a couple of photo's of the 'contaminants' left after cleaning 1 tin of jsb exact express - these, in my experience, are among the cleanest of pellets straight out of the tin anyway. also, the photo's show the 'contaminants' that came from the pellets, and doesnt include that in the bottom of the tin.

food for thought eh ? .....

P1000380.jpg
    P1000381.jpg

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I clean all my smalls:)

3. stanimal

stanimal Donator

I agree Steve,i always clean mine aswell,it quite shocking how much swarf you get in some tins! i always lube mine with a little spray of ballistol after they've dried.

Stan.

4. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, your cleaning method would be usefull too?? and drying out process. i never thought to do this in all the years of having airguns, also as a retired engineer/welder i understand what you descibe on processes so i think i will give this a go although at the mo my supply of .177 and .22 AAs JSBs and superdomes for a springer are lubed. i am nearly out of AAs .22 so when i open a new tin i will do as you describe steve and see how goes. cheers

5. stevemandm

my cleaning process is as follows.
    1. fill a bowl with hot water and mix in a few drops of washing up liquid.
    2. put the tin of pellets into a fine mesh collander and clean out empty tin.
    3. lower the collander into the bowl (1) and leave for a couple of minutes. then, swirl around the pellets, while keeping submerged.
    4. rinse the collander of pellets in clean water.
    5. repeat steps 3 and 4.
    6. gently shake the excess water from the pellets, tip onto some kitchen roll, and leave to dry off (i put them on top of a double radiator).
    7. apply the pellet lube when thoroughly dry. before this, i heat up the pellets with a hair dryer, so that the lube thins out and thoroughly coats the pellets).

this process appears time consuming, but in reality, tales less than ten minutes in total

6. stevemandm

for what its worth, rws pellets are the cleanest that i have ever seen (straight out of the tin).
    also, i never lube the pellets without first cleaning - you dont know what 'crap' the tin contains

7. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I tried this for a while, cleaning & lubing, but never noticed any difference, probably because as you say I wasn't really shooting at any range - but there's plenty of people on various forums who have noticed a real difference.
    If you are chasing single hole groups at any significant range I think you would have to do this, & I certainly would.

8. stevemandm

9. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, well despite the dreaded flu i popped down to the £shop and bought a sievey well 2 for 1 £ actualy and having 2 full tins of AA .22 diablo field 5.5mm which i only use in my AA S410 for ratting proceeded to give them a wash as per steve directions, 100 per wash in warm soapy water in the sieve a few good shakes then cold wash. 5 times done and all spread out on dry towel. a good and carefull shake of the towel and transfered to a clean hanky and now bathing on the hot rad!!! oh and me too ha ha. i will leave on rad until i can see no signs of H2o and replace in tin and like steve i am a great believer in pellet spray so with a new bottle of LTL coming these will be done too, as many know the AA mags are a bit prone to crud up and need a slight lube and with the pellet lube they go in the breech with ease oiling the seal to. so then i check the old soapy water and could not believe the amount of lead bits left. so i think another good idea as per the forum and will be doing the .177 JSBs i use in a FX MAG and which i hope will keep both mags working for many years. cheers chaps

10. stevemandm

glad you approve mate. read my post (#8) on how i use the lt1. unbelievable the crap that is left in the water - just think, that would have ended up down the barrel !
    ps, that man flu thing is a bummer, aint it ?

11. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, sent from sitting on my hot rad :D!!! yea thought i would get away with it this year:rolleyes:

12. Dag

Dag Very Active

I've seen a few references to this for maintenance etc but not for pellet cleaning. Is there any possibility it can cause dieselling?
    oh, and for the Man Flu see the attached!
    Dag

image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  13. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

Cheers Steve you've made a convert out of me,I never bothered cleaning before I usually add fluff and dust from my pocket:) but when my new gun arrives I will be washing.

14. stevemandm

and clean the barrel first !

15. Speed

Speed Busy Member

ive only cleaned my pellets once because the tin spilt in the back of the van and got covered in sawdust, so washed them but no lube, tbh i did not notice a difference but i dont relay shoot groups,

the inside of my pellet poutch had bits in off the pellets even tho my pellets look clean from the tin. think i will pick some lube up and give my next tin some "luvin"

16. stanimal

stanimal Donator

I've been using it for quite some time now mate and i've never noticed any signs of dieseling.

Stan.

17. Denis 177

Denis 177 Active Member

In my attempts to further ones Ft ability, I draw my conclusions from advise and then trial from some of the countries top Ft shooters, one of the fortunate by products of occasional club use.
    However, none of these "AA" shooters washes pellets!
    Indeed, most use JSB Exact straight out of the tin. I know of one who occasionally sizes and lubes only.
    Groups from these shooters are often sub 15mm at 55 yards.

18. mattyts

mattyts Donator

If you're gonna put lube on pellets,you might aswell go the whole way and wash them,otherwise you're just putting lube onto dirt...which gunks up

19. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

If you don't wash before lubing, you end up with a gray pellet stew!

Or the wife won't come near you:D

20. Awesime

Awesime Donator

From my results, What rubbish:down:!

Pellets needed washing in 1989, but current JSB Exact dont !