1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet care

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by shoots, Sep 18, 2014.

1. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

Half way through a tin of JSB Exacts and I noticed a lot of fliers, not the normal consistency I a used to at all, then noticed a lot of the pellets in the tin have dented marked and deformed skirts, I can only assume this has been caused in the tin with the pellets contact with each other. Have others had this issue and are there any options to stop it. Thanks.

2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I think it might be happening before packing, the last couple of tins of these in .22 that I have had contained about 1/3 with damaged skirts which could easily be seen in the tin. Others were visible when they were dropped into the magazine, normally I throw them away but it's probably possible to straighten a lot if you have a probe of some sort to gently press into the skirt.
    I've not had anywhere near as much damage with AA Field or anything else, only the .22 JSB.

3. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Same here Terry. I have mentioned this on a couple of threads about this problem with JSB Exacts, but nobody commented on it so I just assumed that it was just my and one or two other guys tins. The tin I have here right now has maybe HALF of the pellets with this "skirt" issue. I can also see that JSB Exacts in particular, appear to have a very "thin" skirt, so maybe they are getting damaged in production as you say. Either way, it's not acceptable is it? I won't be buying them again, but not for that reason. My Hatsan 60s doesn't seem to like them and spits them out in very random groups. Change to RWS Superdomes, instant change and nice tight groups (Now my scope issues are sorted).

Andy :)

4. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

For damaged skirts, push the head of one into the damaged skirt of another,

works a treat:)

5. DaveSlain

DaveSlain Active Member

I have a fair few damaged skirts, I'm to try that trick :up:

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The only problem with doing that is you may well cause more damage to the one you're pushing with. I do have somewhere a plastic grouting tool which has a ball on the end which would probably work on a .22 pellet and I did recently see someone suggesting a ball bearing fixed somehow to the end of a rod. I'm sure that minor damage would be no real problem as the air pressure should form the skirt perfectly to the bore.

7. zippo1973

zippo1973 Donator

Where did you get these pellets from? I get mine from Intershoot and never had this problem, maybe they weren't packed very well and got damaged in transit??

8. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

I bought them from a local gunshop, never really spotted the problem before so i thinking they are normally ok, I did think they were packed better than most pellets and that I must have treated them badly but others comments have made me think differently. I think I will try a tin of a different pellet, shame though as they are normally really good...

9. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Hi,
    Please don't think I was suggesting that JSB Exacts are no good. Even the perfectly formed one's don't shoot well with my Hatsan. Just one of those things. When I use the deformed skirt pellets, they appear to shoot through no differently than the the perfect ones. Main concern is that there are maybe 350-400 left and they are useless to me and a waste of money lol. If only they were RWS Superdomes! :)

Andy :)

10. happydad

happydad Engaging Member

Hi,
    the latest tin of JSB Exact .177 that I bought from the local gun shop is the worst tin that iv'e had, a lot of damaged skirts, the skirts seem to be thinner than the last tin I used (although that was from a sleve of Ten) also quite varied in weight, not quite the quality I expect from JSB, although the Express and Heavy JSB's that I got recently are spot on, with the heavy .177's top quality

ATB
    Mike

11. shoots

shoots Well-Known Member

Well what can you say... went to get a tin of pellets today, asked about the last tin about which this thread came about, mentioned that the consistency was not as good as previous tins and was given a replacement tin without question!!! apparently the last tin were 5.5mm, previous to this was 5.52mm which are more consistent/accurate so maybe the damaged skirts was not the only problem. Anyway have to say awesome service:up:

12. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

That sounds good.

I've heard it mentioned that skirts don't matter, especially with springers, as the initial blast of HP air straightens them out.

Personally I've found this isn't the case & sort them out before I shoot them with some rounded implement or another & it does cut down on flyers.

13. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I think you're right, the blast of air is more likely to pass between the pellet and bore as this is the path of least resistance, it is then likely to create uneven pressure on the head and cause instability. If the pellet skirt is actually fitted to the rifling then the air pressure will act evenly and cause the pellet to engage properly with the rifling and travel squarely down the bore.

14. Samobaggins

Samobaggins I own to many fx rifles

I've not used jsb's before. Do the tins have batch numbers on them? Maybe there is a bad batch of pellets.