1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Pellet advice for theoben

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tomsteebs, May 3, 2014.

1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Afternoon,

Been testing pellets at 28yards with a theoben slr98 and 2 are better of what I've tried.

Pictures of both .22 x 7shot groups:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I know the AA group isn't brilliant but it is fine for my skill level and my current control of the quite frankly very rubbish trigger.

Reason I say the Jsb express group is better than others is the fact it is consistently narrow on both groups I did with it but just very tall.

Could this point to inconsistency in pellets or maybe a direction to go with testing pellets?

Atb
    Tom

2. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The vertical stringing points to your trigger technique. The trigger is fine, it probably just needs setting. You will probably do best with slightly bigger head sizes - try 5.52 and see how you go.

3. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Thanks, I'm trying different techniques with the trigger as is- as it has no 2nd stage at the moment (is it even 2 stage?) So it's a bit of a learn the amount of pull situation.

I'll have a look around for trigger guides.

As for diameter of pellets, the .52 aa field weren't as good as the .51 and I also tried .53 ftt and .52 defiants. Possibly .52 supefields as well.

cheers

4. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Odd - what barrel is on yours then? Fire a pellet (any old pellet, it doesn't matter what) into a bucket of water (from a reasonable distance so you don't get drowned!) Or even a pile of old towels - so you can collect the pellet undamaged and look at the engraving to see what barrel you have on there. That will help a gret deal - my SLR has an Anschutz barrel and I thought they all did - I know at one point they were using BSA but not for the SLR.

Trigger is definitely a 2-stage, even the clunky Gamo unit and they work brilliantly when set up right.

5. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

My Hw90 gives good reults with Defiant 5.52's @ 14.00's - Gas Ram -

All Defiants need to find rifling - so need a Clean Barrel to Start with -

BOB/R

6. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums work well in my Mark 1 Rapid and my Sirocco Deluxe!

7. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

A trigger shoe works wonders on TB triggers. It also sounds like you need the second stage firming up!

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I don't think the AA group is that bad for the type of rifle and distance tbh (as you know I don't have particularly high opinions of gas ram guns); I doubt the Express group is down to poor pellets - I've found them to be amongst the best available in the past. I'd think either the rifle simply doesn't like them or it's down to hold sensitivity. I'd have thought it less to do with trigger control (IME poor trigger control usually pushes the shots to one side or anther), but it's always a possiblity; especially with such a ropey unit.

I did try and find some more info on the trigger; found a thread on the bb s where a chap's tidied one up, and also found a diagram (below). I was initially a little suspicious as I couldn't see how the unit could be two-stage; however after a little more thought I now see how it's much like the unit on some later Rapids - it could be described as "true" two stage - the first stage weight is controlled by the load on the sear and that provided by the return spring around the trigger blade's pivot. The additional weight of the second stage is provided by trigger blade coming into contact with the captive, sprung ball; adding the additional load that defines the second stage.

[​IMG]

If it were my unit (which I'm thankful it's not :D) I'd be inclined to strip it and polish / lube the sears (this should help with the nasty first stage) and wind the 2nd stage weight screw in (the only adjustment the unit has) to increase the 2nd stage weight to a more predictable setting.

I know you like Theoben products more than I do and that we'll never agree on the gas ram guns.. but please, have some perspective / objectivity. The triggers on all the rammed guns are hopeless - offering very little adjustability and a heavy, creepy first stage with a poorly-defined second stage that's often pulled straight through thanks to the horrible first stage. Viewed in isolation they're pretty damned nasty and when compared to the HW Rekord and Air Arms CD units they're initially have been pitched against, they're an embarresment tbh.

As for the Gamo item - a £13 unit that's fitted to / sourced from some of the cheapest, nastiest spring guns imaginable; and that again has sod all adjustment and offers very little definition between the two stages. Just to prove I'm not just brand-bashing I realise that over its lifetime the Rapid had some very good trigger units fitted to it (the Anschutz-sourced items and the final Mk4 unit) however the Gamo unit certainly isn't among them and dressing either of these turds up with a bow and some glitter is really overstating their abilities and isn't helping the OP at all IMO..

9. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Right to answer some questions:

I have read the manual and you have one way of adjusting the trigger via a socket head bolt.

This adjusts the weight of the 2nd stage.

The trigger was currently set to super light to the point of the bolt being relatively loose and the 2nd stage being obsolete.

I put this down to either working loose (although I wouldn't have that that to be the case) or to have set this way for preference of a previous owner.

I then turned it a about 3 rotations until the bolt was not loose and a few threads deeper.
    This gave a heavy second stage, so I unwound it about 1turn and the 2nd stage was completely removed! So I then tried turning it a lot more to see if it was past the "factory adjustment range" and was in a overly unwound position before.

But this completely locked the trigger! At this point it still had about 1/2 the bolt length to possibly wind in which I thought was strange as it wasn't difficult to wind in either.

Anyway after this I took it back to where it was a heavy 2nd stage and made it a positive slightly lighter stage (but still heavy)

It seems to have a lot of travel in the adjustment screw but only a very very small range of trigger adjustment.

Barrel

In the manual it states all barrels in the slr series are anshutz and are choked, it also states the 98's also have the underlever ported silencer.

My pellet rifling looks more anhutzy but it isn't as knife like as a anhustz rapid I had?...

[​IMG]

I took a photo of the stock again as it's sunny :)

[​IMG]