1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Pcp Wont Fill! Please Help

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ShropshireDog, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ShropshireDog

ShropshireDog Member

Firstly, thank you for any help you can offer (trust me, it's really appreciated).

I bought a second hand Gamo Phox. Rifle is in good condition, and came with some pressure in the tank. I had to buy another styrup pump as the one with it wasnt working, and also bought another fill adaptor. I tried to fill the rifle, but no joy. I took it to a gun shop to have it filled with a tank just to make sure the seals are all good and it would fill, and everything was fine.

I must admit here that the pump i bought was a cheap ebay special (times are hard lol). Now the pump delivers air to the fill adaptor (i have used PTFE tape to ensure no leaks and done a quick pressure test too). The pump start to build pressure, but after 10 stokes it becomes too hard to pump. I dont think any air is passing to the rifle (although i cant be positive here). When the pressure release valve is released a good amount of air pressure is released.

I know this is probably rather school boy, but being my first PCP, and being out of the game for a long time, in stuck. Any input please?

2. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

it might need a blast of air from a tank to free up the valve, you arent going to get that with a pump..do you know anyone with a tank?

ShropshireDog likes this.
  3. ukglyn

ukglyn Big Poster

I agree with Monsta, I have heard that from empty they can need a blast from a tank to pressurize the valve.

4. Sky

Sky Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Well, if it filled OK in the shop, that means the gun is OK.

How low have you let the level get? Ideally, you don't want to let it below about 120 bar. If you've let it get lower than that, then I suspect it's as Carl and Glyn have said too.

5. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I think the pump is not designed to fill an air rifle....just because the Chinese have told you it is suitable doesn't mean it is. They don't care, they just want to sell stuff and undermine the rest of the world's economy. I refuse to help them do this. You think you have saved money, you haven't, you have wasted however much you spent on an unsuitable item.
    If the valve opens when filled by tank and fills from a multi-stage pump, then it is your pump. You are building as much pressure as the single stage pump can, but it is insufficient to open the vlave with the pressure behind it. You have to generate MORE pressure on the pump side than is on the rifle side of the valve in order for there to be any transfer of air. This requires a multi-stage pump unless you are very strong.

Try a 4-stage pump. being 4-stage it means you have to pump 4x as many strokes to generate the same pressure as a 1 stage pump. So you do more work, but each pump stroke requires less energy - like going down into bottom gear on mountain bike, you pedal like hell and go virtually nowhere, but it gives you the ability to pedal up Porlock Hill, albeit slowly.

ShropshireDog, monsta41 and Sky like this.
  6. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Ah - how much pressure is there in the rifle now? Did you shoot it down to nothing? If so, try cocking it and then pump.....

DO NOT FILL TO SWP PRESSURE. That is way too much and will make it inaccurate. Fill to about 180bar, and shoot it down to 110bar only. I have no idea how many shots that will be, you will have to work it out for yourself. Always keep it topped up to JUST the top of the sweet sector of pressure and don't let it go below the bottom of the sweet spot (pressures suggested above 180 -110). Your particular rifle might vary a little from these pressures, but they won't be far off - maybe 185 - 95, or 175 - 85...but all in the same ball park. The ONLY time it varies from this is with a regulated rifle and then you mustn't drop below the set pressure of the regulator, so again, keep it topped up !

7. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Keyboard Hero

TBH with the money, you have spent buying a second pump you could have better spent it on a tank and saved yourself a lot of trouble.

Accuspell and ShropshireDog like this.
  8. ShropshireDog

ShropshireDog Member

Thanks all. My first thought was that a quick blast with a tank might loosen it up so thats what the shop did. I think the pump is the issue. The pressure has not gone into the red at all luckily, so will have to look into another filling method. Whats the most cost effective method for not much use (i refuse to connect myself with the word cheap lol).

9. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

i would say get a 3 or 4 litre air tank... i bought a 7l and its heavy, but the amount i shoot it lasts nearly a year on a fill

Accuspell likes this.
  10. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I bought a 12-litre because the dive shop is about 30 miles away. Likewise, it lasts me about 6 months, so having it filled twice a year, say 5 times in 2 years isn't too onerous and you can normally fit a filling trip in with something else.

How far away from a dive shop are you Shropsdog? If you put a location in your name plate, it will help peole give you much better, tailored advice, because everyone will have an idea of what there is near you. We aren't Big Brother that you have to hide from you know!

11. Pellet Gun Pete

Pellet Gun Pete Well-Known Member

I've bought 2 eBay pumps, one for me, one for my cousin. I fill my P15 to 250bar with it without issue. My cousin has had no problems with his either. For what they cost I can't believe how good they are. I suspect yours is suffering from a bit of "newness" and something has stuck, or has a bit of manufacturing crud in it? Take a look in it, it's probably something simple.
    I was going to buy a bottle, but as the pressure drops below 250 bar, I'll need to top it up with the pump anyway, so I've not bothered.

Pete

12. Jesterdog

Jesterdog Donator

I bought a cheap chinese pump, works ok
    I assume your pump has a gauge on it. What pressure does it show when you gave up pumping?
    Mine takes about 10 pumps, to raise the pressure in the feed line, before the rifle starts taking air (at 100bar)

Pellet Gun Pete likes this.
  13. Pellet Gun Pete

Pellet Gun Pete Well-Known Member

Good point Jesterdog, these are not "easy" when the pressure builds. Maybe you're not trying hard enough, and having re-read the original post you've had the problem now with two different pumps? My guess is you just need to keep going. It'll take a good few minutes to fill your gun, and you may need to take a few rest breaks, it's hard work once the pressure gets above 100 bar. There's a knack to it too, full slow strokes, stopping briefly at both the top and bottom. Use your body weight to push the pump down, by keeping your arms straight.

Pete

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  14. Bozz

Bozz Engaging Member

Hi is there any chance you have got ant PTFE tape over the small bore of the fittings blocking the air route, and can you get air through the fill valve when not connected to gun. All best Graham

15. FerreT985

FerreT985 Engaging Member

My phox has been completely stripped down so I could have a gander at what I'm working with when I come to fit a regulator.
    Put it back together and filled it with the pump provided, no problem at all. It only gets stiff to pump up around the 180 bar mark. So maybe as said above, the pump is at fault?