1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

PCP or springer?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by David, Jul 20, 2007.

1. David

David Engaging Member

If you go to http://www.airsportdirect.com/acatalog/PestControl.html you will find spring powerd air rifles the choice of pest control, supprising considering that springers need to be handled in a different way to PCP guns, the main difference being recoil which effects accuracy hence more practice. There is a need for a clean kill so are springers up to the job or would you prefer PCP recoiless?

The point being which type of rifle would you prefer for hunting, PCP or spring?

David

2. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

David -

I think most people would agree that PCP is the better option when it comes to hunting.

HOWEVER ...

With practice, a spring rifle can be just as accurate, powerful and deadly - once you learn how to hold a springer, they can equal a PCP in some aspects.

Personally I would choose a spring rifle over a PCP any day, as I find that springers give a more satisfying shooting experience - and they're more rewarding when you hit the bulls eye because more skill is involved.

You can't go wrong with a .22 springer ...

James.

3. David

David Engaging Member

I cant agree with you more. springers give that little bit more of a challenge than pcp I actually sold my HW100 because it was so easy to hit the same mark each time it became boring and went back to my Diana rifles.

Some might consider it sporting in giving a quarry a second chance if in the unlikely event you miss

Cheers

David

4. Mick Dundee

Mick Dundee Engaging Member

PCP or Springer

It seems to me that things are getting out of hand here. Springers aren't that difficult to use. How on earth did we shoot all those rabbits before PCPs came along?

5. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Pcp or springer

Most pcp's struggle a bit if you use them as a "tool". They need a bit more care and hygene.
    I use both types, no probs yet, switching back and forth.

6. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

It's personal preference, and also I agree - springers aren't that hard to use - but each one takes a bit of practice to get used to.

Five minutes down the drive and I'm fine with anything though ...

Like previously said - springers need next to no ' love and care ' - I mean if you want to keep one working at it's best then yeah, a little time is needed here and there, but I'm sure you could just put a springer back in the box after every day shooting and it'd work fine for years.

7. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

I owned a hw80 for 15 years exelent gun not a single problem in that time i changed it for a pcp because it made shooting from my 4x4 easier. breaking the barrel to load was a pain inside a vehicle another advantage was how light my s410 is compared to my old 80

8. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

What is this codswollop about springers being hard to use. It's a matter of technique with only practice being the requirement to get the best out of it.

The overwhelming advantgage of the springer is you just pick the bl**dy thing up, cock and load it and once pointed at the desired target, squeeze the trigger and it will go "bang"-every time!

You don't have to worry about if the gun is charged up, and the gradual loss of velocity as the bottle empties plus the fact that I certainly would give a springer the edge in reliability and longevity.

So there you have it, in my opinion get a springer and shoot!:cool:

9. RAPIDROGERS

RAPIDROGERS Member

pcp all the way they are so much better than old noisy springers

10. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

Wear some ear muffs you big girl's blouse!:D

11. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Why you are wrong :

1. Many modern springers are quiet, even without a silencer.

2. Would you rather spend £500 on a PCP if you want to plink in the back garden ?

3. Springers are better than PCP's in many aspects - most of which have been brought up in this thread.

12. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Retro

I,like most air gunners started on springers,then when the law was RELAXED:eek:,I bought a mk1 FN19SB. I can remember being in awe of the lack of recoil and being able to watch the pellet from muzzle to target.Since then i've bought several pcp's.
    Then just for old times sake i bought an .25 HW80(just 4 rats) and shoved in a gas strut. I know it's not a springer anymore but wow its nice:up:. I frequenty out-bag my mates with m-shot pcp's.I've since bought a HW35J.Majic little gun!!!:).
    I'm now on the hunt for a mint W Tracker DL to "strut up"!
    Long live the recoiling classes!!:)