1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Pcp Occasional Use And Quietness - Bsa Ultra Clx Or Co2 Better ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jb721543, Oct 9, 2021.

1. jb721543

jb721543 Newbie

Background is last year we got a Remington Pest Controller .22 for plinking with my 9yr old Son (my mum taught me to shoot when I was young, so I wanted to do same - mum had an Ensign Elite .22 back in the day and a few other rifles/pistols).

Me and my son have really enjoyed plinking cans/polo mints/paper targets, so this year upgraded to Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 beech (break barrel IGT, 10 shot magazine) and a Victory CP2 .22 CO2 7 shot which we've really enjoyed using - we mostly shoot at 15yards but max 25yards.

I love the feel/look/multishot of Maxxim but its too noisy and break barrel is awkward when prone, and CP2 is great fun but will have a string of great groups then a flier which bugs me - I've tried loads of different pellets/checked burr etc and feel its as good as it can be, so just want something which feels a bit nicer and is more accurate/consistent but still lightweight, and I don't want to keep changing ;)

Requirements are:
    • wooden stock/traditional look
    • multishot/bolt action/manual safety
    • quiet with std 1/2" unf fitting so can upgrade moderator if wished
    • accurate up to 25 yards

I was eyeing up Gamo Coyote but its on heavy/long side for my son.

BSA Ultra CLX seems to tick all the boxes (lightweight/compact/accurate - and QC hiccups hopefully improving), and I feel would hold value better than spending a little less on something we then want to change in a year or two, but am worried we only shoot occasionally - in summer we might shoot several times a week, but may well go months unused over winter, and not clear if this is a problem for PCP which I understand you leave filled min 100bar to hold seals in shape.

Also assume that with the right moderator Ultra CLX would be as quiet as CP2 (which is perfectly quiet), but hard to get a good impression of noise from reviews (but without moderator it seems pretty loud).

CO2 probably would be better for storage, but mostly seem to be lower quality/cost, so fear I'd spend almost as much as CLX and if I wanted to sell later would lose more than difference on depreciation just seems silly.

For support/warranty I'd only buy new, so budget would cover CLX, scope and a 5L air bottle, and a cheap chinese pump for flexibility.

Sorry for long post, just wanted to check if PCP storage unused is nothing to worry about, or if there are any reasonable CO2 multishot wooden options to consider, I've done web research but nothing seems to tick all the boxes.

2. Byronic

Byronic Good thing we are all different, eh?

Have you seen all the threads on here about BSA PCP issues?
    Also the level of service from the factory?

And their Quality Control is "hopefully" improving?
    Any evidence of grounds for that hope?

Edit.
    You specified new only.
    Used, sorted and fettled would seem a wiser move ,i.m.h.o.

I have tried a few fettled examples which were great guns - if you can find one.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Steved likes this.
  3. Lukeypoodle

Lukeypoodle Posting Addict

You're describing an AA S410 or Daystate regal I reckon.

4. Pt.

Pt. Engaging Member

AA S200 will fit the bill

David Kearley likes this.
  5. Steved

Steved Keyboard Hero

Plus one for the S200, Or the PP9000W And I'm a CLX owner. The CLX is accurate though not really light, its mid weight, easy to use BUT the cocking action takes some pulling. But because of the reliability issues and QC shortcomings I simply could NOT reccomend the CLX , and brand new they are worth no more than £300. The £600 price tag is an insult as many Chinese made guns now match BSA for quality and accuracy but are much better value for money. As for BSA Charging £65 for a Magazine is an affront. The Walther Reign I believe has the best designed and most flawlessly reliable magazine of them all and is only £29.95.

If you really was a beezer ultra look for the earlier SE model.

critter, jb721543 and Pt. like this.
  6. Alexall

Alexall U-Div Gun Protectors

I respect my BSA ultras SE. I have 3 of them. No reliability issues with them to disk of. I bought 2 secondhand and 1 new.

I treated myself to a new ultra earlier this year in. 25cal simply because there was no secondhand. It developed a leak b within months of purchases. Due to the excuses of The Flu, excuse on excuses, the rfd cannot even return it to the factory at BSA say so. So much for the manufacturers warranty that the 6 months delay used up the warranty period. In the end, it was sorted by 4 new seals off a forum member for less than £1 worth.

I swore that this will be my last BSA purchase due to very poor personal experiences with this company, and the obvious direction the company is heading.

Don't delude yourself on factory warranty. I didn't get to exercise my warranty. Fortunately, it was a cheap DIY fix. Buying new became just an indulgence.

My 2 other ultra were secondhand and ironically had no issues whatsoever. I had these years without fault. No leak, no repairs. So long as you buy off a respected seller, I actually see them as 'run in and sorted'. You save money also.

A second hand gun cost is roughly the 2/3 rule. This was one of your consideration. When you decide on a change, you end of losing very little on original purchase cost. However, if you want that security of new and warranty (for whatever it's worth), then feel free.

The AA S200 is a great family, target, junior rifle. Weight, size and sheer capable exceeds any budget rifles. These are infamous for good reasons. They are not available new so the only option is secondhand.

For my money, the S200 is the best recommendation over a new clx, with the S200 equalling or better in performance and for less money.

7. PaulBB

PaulBB Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Used AA 2/3 or 4 can’t really go wrong unless very unlucky and then always fixable.
    Kral NP002 for something different?

8. KETTLEBELL

KETTLEBELL Engaging Member

I can wholeheartedly recommend two out of my collection, the PR900W (approx £200) and the Kral NP02 (approx £330). Both are superb rifles, very accurate, light, easy to handle for a youngster and really cheap for what they bring to the table. The PR900W has a shot count of up to 40 and is easily fillable with a pump. The Kral NP02 has an incredible shot count, but, you would most certainly have to purchase a cylinder to fill the thing. The other thing you would have to factor in with the Kral would be the purchase of a Moderator, as, it is one very loud beast.

Steved, jb721543 and Byronic like this.
  9. jb721543

jb721543 Newbie

Thanks for suggestions, PR900W I was put off by shot count as we generally shoot 50-60 shots in a session, so would need to pump/fill - but looks like it would share mags from CP2 which would be nice, so will think on that. The NP02 I'd also looked at but can't get past the look of it - sorry ;(

The AA stuff is over budget, and I appreciate buying used from a good seller should be risk free (but its so awkward to transport/return air rifles that really puts me off).

If I buy from a business (with credit card protection) and there's a problem, I can just throw it back at them to sort/refund or recover money if they can't/won't.

I was hoping the BSA/CLX horror stories were a minority, but as always with forums/internet you have no idea if there are 10,000 satisfied customers and 30 faulty units or vice versa!

My original query was about PCP storage - will a few months unused cause issues, and is any PCP with decent moderator as quiet as CP2, but looks like more to think about, thanks for advice, its much appreciated. Maybe I should just continue with the Maxxim and ignore the racket, as other than noise I really like it.

10. Byronic

Why not just get a good moderator for the Maxxim?

Several Forum members offer them, all with positive comments from customers.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    PaulBB likes this.
  11. jb721543

jb721543 Newbie

I thought the plastic shroud was moulded onto barrel so not removable non-destructively - I searched "Gamo Maxxim Moderator" and couldn't find anything, but if there is a way to get barrel threaded for a moderator I'd definitely try it. - Any tips on who to contact would be really appreciated.

upload_2021-10-9_16-28-36.png

12. Byronic

You might try starting a new thread specifically to ask this question?

Unless someone offers on here?

Might even be local to you in Somerset?

Not me, I'm afraid!

13. scrumpy jim3322

scrumpy jim3322 Bullhitter

why Not .177 ? I think you already know what you are thinking of buying