1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

pcp damage using a pump

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by big al 1960, May 31, 2015.

1. big al 1960

big al 1960 Member

Hi all, just a quick question concerning the pump v bottle charging debate.Has anyone actually experienced first hand or knows anyone that has suffered damage to their rifle from using a pump? I personally use a pump and touchwood am not aware of any detriment to my HW 100 but have seen the issue raised of "horror stories"concerning prolonged pump usage but never any facts to back this up, cheers, Al.

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I have used my fx pump for years, had my rifle apart many times

and I can't see any evidence of damage.

3. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

same as above, always used a pump and never noticed any damage when I have opened a air cylinder up.

I do hear that if you pump fast with a pump that it can cause heat which in turn causes condensation but am yet to see this effect on any of my guns :)

4. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Buddy bottle guns suffer more u can see evidence on say rapids when the reg locking screw rusts also debri can be sucked in and pumped in to the tube then causing small scratches on the valve seat causing leaks only takes a tiny mark to cause a fast leak although I do use a pump myself but my air cylinder is titanium so no chance of corrosion and most the Ineers are made of the same or the likes

5. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

This is why you haven't had the damage that using a hand pump CAN cause.

I saw a 6 month old Steyr, an Olympic shooters gun actually. It was pitted, the valave had corroded, it was a mess - all caused by pumping in high RH air.

You need to understand Relative Humidity to appreciate how much water you are introducing to the inside of your rifle. Bottles filled from a diving centre are filled with breathing quality air - if you used a hand pump to fill a dive bottle you would DROWN the user by filling their lungs with water! That is why breathing air is limited to a new standard of 50ppm (parts per million) the old standard was 80ppm. That is 0.0008%

Atmospheric air in this country is often at a Relative Humidity of 80% and if you are lucky, on a very dry, cold winter day you can have it as low as 50%. RH is dependent on temperature and pressure. Warmer air can hold a greater amount of water vapour than cold air at the same pressure. Higher pressure can hold less water than lower pressure - this is where the introduction of water comes in...you start with low pressure air when pumping it in and build the pressure up. The air you introduce contains many times the amount of water vapour bottle air of breathing quality (how much depends on the RH when you are pumping!) As you fill the reservoir, the pressure increases and the air inside can no longer hold the same quantity of water vapour, basically the water gets squeezed out of the air, like squeezing a sponge, it can hold water while it is just sat there, as you increase the pressure on the sponge, so more water gets squeezed out. Boyle's Law is what you need to get your head around.

Those who take the rifles apart regularly, I would suspect, clean the components before they get put back together again....this cleaning is looking after the components. A rifle that gets filled by bottle and never opened has water introduced in the air that is left there to do damage - this first became apparent in the early Daystate rifles, and Air Arms, who used steel tubes for reservoirs...Daystate noticed the corrosion inside these early cylinders,m which is why they give a 10 year service life on their cyclinders - they have no control over how the rifle is going to be filled. If it is filled with diving air, the life span will be 30 years, maybe more...but filled with a bottle that water vapour being squeezed to release the water is what is causing concern.

You can poo- poo the effects all you like, but the laws of physics are their just the same! The materials used in the components will have a big bearing too - brass is better than steel, titanium or 316 stainless better again. Non-ferrous metals will suffer less than ferrous ones.

6. bhodge

bhodge Posting Addict

There's so much information contained within this reply....
    I think that maybe it should be made a "Sticky".

7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I've never seen a PCP irreparably or dangerously damaged by moisture from a pump, but have experienced problems with damp air in the past.

I spent one particularly humid summer intensively using my S410 and filling with a 1st gen. Hills pump. When I came to strip the gun some time later I found several large beads of water floating around inside the cylinder (maybe in the region of 0.5-1cm^3). The Nylon inlet valve was shafted, the brass valve pot was corroding (a light dusting of green) but the cylinder was fine (presumably due to the thin film of oil it had on its surface.

At the time the valve was replaced with a newer black one (which I now know to be inferior :(), it all went back together and worked (works) fine.

It's pretty well-known that manual pumps lack the ability to remove as much moisture as dive-shop compressors; although they do make an effort to catch the condensation and blow it out of the system via the bleed screw (esp. FX designs). Hills do the "drypac" add-on - although I think the only purpose this really serves is separating the unwary from their money as I can't see how passing the air through a dessicant on the low pressure side of the pump can do any good whatsoever (happy to be proven wrong, though :)).

I think one needs to be careful when selecting a filling method - IMO pumps are better suited to relatively low-intensity use on account of their inability to supply "dry" air along with the physical exertion involved. In addition, I'd be more comfortable using one in conjunction with guns that don't have separate cylinders (as these are usually easier to strip and inspect), and avoiding use with any rifle that uses Nylon valve gear etc (mostly early AA and Daystate guns).

:)

8. cloverleaf

One other quick note - the "cylinder depressurisation tool" supplied with the HW100 is designed to help you sidestep the moisture issue - the idea is that periodically the cylinder is filled, left to stand gauge-end-up, then drained of air in this orientation using the tool - the idea being that any moisture in the cylinder accumulates at the bottom and is blown out when the cylinder is vented :)

9. 177man

177man Engaging Member

A friend of mine uses a pump on 2 x hw100 and a aa s410 all three have had issues with leaks
    and power loses is this due to his pump or just bad luck ?

10. cloverleaf

I'd guess bad luck; unless the S410 was an early one with a Nylon valve as described above..

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  11. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Its not much over a year old and the hw100 where brought together about 18months ago

12. Patrick

Patrick Donator

So if using a pump would pumping slowly to avoid heat reduce the risk of moisture?

13. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

This is rather concerning:eek:! I have just purchased a new Daystate Regal and, living a considerable distance from the nearest bottle filling facility, I have always used a pump and intend doing so with the Regal. Bought my HW100 new two years ago and have had no problems at all. Is it just a matter of time?

14. Dr B

Dr B Grizzly Airgunner

I've had an S410K for 12 years, no problems, always filled with pump. Never been stripped down as fires like a dream. No leaks. Pumps are fine.

15. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I had the same concerns about pumps,

but then I thought why would fx sell a pump that will damage high end rifles.

16. busanga

busanga Busy Member

What is relevance of nylon valve re. moisture

17. waldo

waldo Well-Known Member

Superb explanation , many thanks for that :up::D

18. waldo

waldo Well-Known Member

Never knew that, thanks :up::D