1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

PCP/CO2 Advice.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Ichy, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Ichy

Ichy Well-Known Member

I appreciate that there are possibly a fair few posts on the forum that will give me answers but I thought it worth asking the question anyway.

There is a chance that I will be asked to help with a rat problem at some local stables. At the moment I own an old Edgar Brothers Mod105 springer. I like the gun but it is heavy and noisy and not really suited to the task. I don't know much about air rifles but have had a good look around to see what I can find within my budget (virtually nothing) that might be ok. At the bottom end, CO2, I've come up with a QB78 or XS78, I can't work out the difference? I did notice that the XS can be bought with a 88g bottle, is this better? Absolute top of the budget was a Benjamin Discovery for around £200 with moderator. My only problem with this is that I would have to get a bottle or pump to refill it seriously bumping up the price.

Would the QB78 be a good place to start or am I missing out on a real bargain that is better suited? I have a scope to fit it but is there anything else I would need to make it usable?

2. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

i would rule the discovery out for a start if you have no means to fill it ,they only fill to 2000 psi(160 bar)and do not give many shots per charge
    You could get a s/h early bsa ultra for your £200 budget,much better than the disco but again would need a way of filling
    I would steer clear of co2 as not great in cold weather and power fluctuates when cold so may not be up to the task in this weather
    what about a hatsan mod 55 or 60 springer
    get good reviews from what i have heard but not tried one myself
    Or even a s/h hw99s could be picked up for your budget

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    agree with what andy says. we have a hatsan mod 55s, and it really punches above its weight for a cheap rifle - v light, smooth and accurate, but quite loud (55s is .177, 60s is .22, otherwise identical). http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/hatsan_60S
    you could pick up a used weihrauch for your budget, and buying used will stretch your £ further.
    also, i would suggest a hatsan mod 85xth. can be bougt for £150 brand new. only available in .22, which is what you want in a dedicated ratter/vermin controller. its got a fitted moderator too. we have one and for the price, is v good - look here http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/hatsan_85xth/
    its quiet, accurate, and with it having a synthetic stock, appears designed to be a 'field rifle'.

4. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

Just use the 105. it will be up the job. Hit a rat in the head with it and the rat will die.

And above is another reason you should use the 105.

5. Ichy

Ichy Well-Known Member

Cheers Guys, useful advice. Dunkman the problem I have with the 105 is that it has a synthetic stock which resonates and it's underlever so I can't fit a mod, believe me it is loud. It's fine for rabbits but I feel that the second I shoot a rat the rest will scarper, i'd be better off with my shotgun ;-). I have considered filling it with foam to quieten it down a bit. I'll see.

Can't find a 85xth for anywhere near £150. I'll have a mooch on *******/gunwatch and see what's available SH.

6. gunsnlandies

gunsnlandies Posting Addict

The 78 is well capable of ratting in the cold. My TH78D was used last year in the snow for ratting round my hen houses with good effect. They just need a bit of work to bring the power up for cold weather. This costs a bit of your time and a new seal set and nothing more. Mine is also fitted a with a moderator. The only thing you hear is a click from the hammer. If you are interested, go over to UKCAF and join up, you will see what they can do.
    XS78 has 14mm thick barrel, plastic barrel band, iron sights and basic stock.
    XS79 as above but with 88g bottle.
    QB78 has 15mm thick barrel, metal barrel band, fibre optic sights, better stock and gold anodised bolt and trigger.
    TH78D as above with thumbhole stock and adjustable butt pad.

Brian

7. stevemandm

8. Ichy

Ichy Well-Known Member

That's a good price! Bit too far to travel but I have found one for £159. I'm wondering now if it's worth spending a bit more and going for a PCP setup to replace the 105.

9. stevemandm

depends what you ultimately want from it mate - personally, i'd go for the pcp - many will agree, many will disagree !
    if its a pcp, a bsa ultra is probably the ultimate vermin tool - have a look at andyz100's in sale section

10. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

A few things in no particular order..

Firstly the QB and XS monikers (to the best of my knowledge) pertain to the same gun. The XS78 takes 2x12g CO2 bulbs, while the XS79 takes one 88g bulb.

These guns represent reasonable value in themselves and offer some of the advantages of PCPs (recoiless action with a reasonably quick shot development time) however they're usually only around 8-9ftlb so require tweaking or restricting to close range if wanting to use them for hunting.

In addition, while cheap to buy they potentially cost a fair bit to run on account of their gas usage - any .22 will cost you around 1p/shot in pellets, however CO2 will cost you around the same again or more (say 250 shots from an 88g cylinder @ £7ea, or around 3p/shot; effectively quadroupling your running costs).

I'm not a big fan the 88g types as you can easily waste a whole cylinder or more if you develop a leak. That said, they do lend themselves well to conversion to air; however this will still require you to have a filling method.

I'd seriously consider a PCP if you can stretch to it - it's more reliable, consistant, temperature stable, cheaper to run and less hassle than CO2. The Disco isn't a terrible rifle, but it's basic, has a low shot count and is fairly crudely put together (also woefully unpopular, so potentially can be had very cheap if you can find one).

Not that it could necessarily be achieved for sub £200, but I'd be looking out for used examples of early single shot BSA Ultras, Falcon FN12s / FN19s.. decent, basic budget guns IMO. You'll probably pick up a used, lesser-brand pump (Webley, BSA etc) for about £50-60 if you look hard enough :)

11. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

No it blasted is not if it is the horribly MMC mark 1, the SE rear bolt Ultra I would not dismiss, but having owned one of the horrible little guns, I would advise anyone to avoid the MMC system!

You can pick up S200s for a similar price and they are much much better!