1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Pcp/bottle Charging Solutions

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Wofty, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

There's a few threads knocking about regarding pcp's and bottles running out of air. Over the coming days/weeks we can assume many will be empty and have no means to charge.
    I like many I suspect have never taken much interest in home charging/pumping.
    A. Because I filled by bottle at a club.
    B. Because I'm too lazy to pump.

Given that pumps are self explanatory and ideal for self sufficient gun charging I don't think they need much explaining. I would be interested to know if they can charge a 250bar bottle gun though?

I have just watched Andy's Airgun Reviews on compressors. The ebay special is clearly going to be of great interest now.
    A means to charge your bottle at under 200 quid. Personally I'm not comfortable spending much more as we don't know how long this situation will last and what state the economy will be in after.

So..... for those that have the cheaper compressors able to charge a gun or bottle what do we need to know?
    Filters? Adapters? Hoses?

I understand there are plenty of threads but some are huge and convoluted. I and others would benefit from a quick layman's overview of equipment that is fit for purpose. What extras does it need and ease of getting going.

I am only talking about kit we can buy from a seller that is still legally able to operate (as current law subject to change).
    Please let's not degenerate into a slanging match.

So owners of such kit can you brief us uninformed on solutions.
    Many thanks.

KeithJ23, trumpetier and Tim_B like this.
  2. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

Just a quick aside.
    Yes springers are a solution. We don't need the obvious stating......

3. Tim_B

Tim_B Pro Poster

I don't have one of the cheaper compressors, the thing that put me off was the external cooling solution. If you have the space etc then its fine, but I'm too lazy to keep getting stuff out - I didn't even do that with the nomad.

I can see how they are appealing though, low cost solution - although factor in oil every 5 or 6 hours and what does it work out to over a year?

I would personally step to a nomad or trail charger if looking for a home solution - probably the trail charger as it would fill 3L cylinders, and if you have it you don't need more than a 3L cylinder.

I am sure a couple of the threads (although convoluted) did have some posts which clearly showed what you need.

Wofty likes this.
  4. Tim_B

Tim_B Pro Poster

And why does it only have to be a solution during this period? Surely self sufficient is a good thing, whatever the climate?

5. snipperuk

snipperuk Donator

Basically your compressor .... make sure it comes with water pump and whip hose with filter ( they nearly all do )
    Additional filter to take more moisture out and odours
    Male x male foster fitting to connect your bottle to the addition filter

Plenty on ebay .... just filter by selecting UK based only

s-l500.jpg
    aa6278d6-6f1c-4c96-b904-797e69a6dc04.jpg

ee763e2b-8d6d-447d-9902-7dbc387ff168-500x500.jpg

6. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

I've been sniffing around researching (its 2pm here for me whilst many of you are getting up!) and having going through some of the Chinese compressor kits I've actually just ordered the exact kit you mention above!
    I looked at Hill pumps but frankly don't relish the thought of pumping a Wolverine bottle up..... And they are not particularly cheap either.

A heads up though chaps.
    Prices ARE increasing. Some cockwombles are asking a grand for the Chinese compressor ..........:facepalm:

snipperuk likes this.
  7. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

By the way @snipperuk your post is awesome graphically illustrating what you need:thumb:

snipperuk and Tim_B like this.
  8. ZOMI

ZOMI Well-Known Member

Alot of the chinese sellers when they run out of stock hike the price up
    and put it back down when they have stick in again, it maybe that what your seeing ?

Jukebox likes this.
  9. PaulBB

PaulBB Busy Member

The Nomad 2 is looking like something worth saving for, although at over £600 is harsh.
    Something around £750 which could charge my 3ltr bottle would be worth putting the pennies away for.
    I’m just not keen on Chinese cheapies, I have found in most things you get what you pay for.

Tim_B and jesim1 like this.
  10. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Funny thing is with Chinese cheapies, you often get exactly what you need for a damned site less than European or American marques that buy from China...the £18 chrono measures speed accurately.

The New Warrior compressor fills diving cylinders adequately.

With the £350 I saved I could go and get an Artemis....

11. PaulBB

PaulBB Busy Member

I would definitely consider such a thing if members on here own and use them and are happy with the results.

Howlin Wolf likes this.
  12. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

@snipperuk has shown the necessary, I run more filters, my personal choice.

You may need a thread converter from Best Fittings to get stuff connected, you won't now til you have all the bits. Some bits my be NPT some 10mm fine.

I use a 45L reservoir. I add ice at charge time to keep the temp as low as possible. I use an external fan for extra cooling, most of the machine is air cooled, it is only the HP cylinder that is water cooled on mine.

I use hydraulic oil v46 as recommended by the manufacturer of mine, I change it every 1.5 to 2 hours of runtime.

I keep my run temp below 50C at all times and normally aim for 45C max. Leave at least an hour afterwards for cooling.

I fill my 300 bar 200cc Uragan bottle in around 90 secs, but it gets hot and the pressure falls considerably as it cools.

I fill a 7L cylinder from 260 to 300 bar in around 8 minutes. BUT remember you can fill anytime so why not fill from 220 to 260 as a normal range?

I change the first 3 cotton filters at least once a week. I change the fourth cotton filter every 2 or 3 weeks.

I have converted both of my big black filters to molecular sieve and I change that in the first one every 4 weeks and in the second one every 8 weeks.

One of my better investments.

13. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

Running it:
    Have some idea of current bottle pressure.
    Connect bottle to comp. Bottle bleed and feed valves shut.
    OFF at the mains.
    OFF at the switch on top of compressor.
    Plug in the water pump.
    ON at the mains The water pump will now be running. Let it run to make sure the air is purged and you can see the return flowing.
    Open the bleed valve on the LP side.
    Open the bleed valve on the HP side. This means there is no load on the motor or con rod during start up.
    ON at the switch on top of the compressor.
    Let it run for 15 secs. Things will start to warm up and the oil will be splashing around the bearing surfaces whilst there is still no load. If you are running a straight 30 oil it might make sense to to stay in this state for 30 seconds.
    Close LP bleed valve. I always give this at least 10 seconds before the next stage to let everything settle in this state..
    Close HP bleed valve, should see air pressure start to rise.
    When the comp pressure is above the bottle pressure, open the bottle valve.
    When you have reached the desired pressure or max temperature, OFF at the switch on top of compressor.
    Let the water pump keep running.
    Close the bottle valve.
    Open the HP bleed valve, big whoooosh of air !!
    Open the LP bleed valve.
    Disconnect bottle.

jps norton, turb0z, Bezzer and 2 others like this.
  14. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

After it's hot, the only source of air cooling was the fan on the motor, this ain't running now, so I leave my water running for a while and I leave the external fan running. The motor on mine is 1.8KW, that is as close as feck is to swearing 2 bars of an electric fire, lots of heat, makes sense to help everything cool.

Jimmypie and Wofty like this.
  15. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

Excellent stuff guys:thumb:

16. Crash one

Crash one Posting Addict

This is very true. My Kozak is a good one, no faults at all.
    I got a Chinee scope, copy of a “Leapers?” 3-9x32 illuminated mill dot, AO £40.
    Bipod £12
    Airforce one crono £100.
    Recently the New Warrior compressor £150.
    Never had any problems with any of it.
    So this old chestnut of “you get what you pay for” is nonsense today.
    You can get rubbish out of “Made in England” for several times the price if you insist on “Made in England” written on it!

Buying a compressor, people are working out the cost based on fills from a dive centre “it will take ten years to pay for itself”.
    No value put on independence, convenience, a definite full 300bar fill every time. No need for a bottle at all if you can be within range of 240 volts, etc etc.

Jukebox and Wofty like this.
  17. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Major Poster

Don’t bother with a nomad... TOTAL waste of money in my opinion

it can only charge your gun directly so useless at the range or out in fields

the Chinese compressors are excellent

yes you get what you pay for... £150 buys you a reliable little pump that lasts years (proven on here) if basic care is taken :thumb:

Vulcanfreak, Wofty and PaulBB like this.
  18. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Major Poster

I paid £500 for a Chinese twin cylinder compressor because I was that impressed by the smaller £150 version

it fills MUCH quicker

I think they’re superb!

I Was paying £18 every time I needed to get my 5 L tank filled up... including fuel

so my compressor will have paid for itself in just over a year :thumb:

19. sharpsman

sharpsman Keyboard Hero

All this makes guns like the sharp ace ect look even better unless you are shooting loads of shots , i have a bottle but use my pump and have 2 spares they were cheap enough - a compressor sounds good but fixing a broken one would be a bit of a problem i would think so i will stick to my pumps and get a bit of excersise at the same time .

TORNADOS7 and trumpetier like this.
  20. trumpetier

trumpetier Very Active

Yep bottle and a pump for me. I may get one of these compressor, s in the future, when they have been around longer ;)