1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Pcp Accuracy Waning Around 130 Bar?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Simonsays, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

I recall being told by Brocock back in the dark days of my shot gunning Compatto that all pcps lose a bit of accuracy (ie groups open up) as the pressure fall past a certain point. I didn't take much notice but it was certainly true of the Compatto - it was even worse below 130bar.

Now the Compatto has been long replaced by the Kozak which is in a different league. But curiously I have noticed on several occasions on the range that the Kozak goes off song as the pressure approaches 100bar, but comes straight back with more air.

Can anyone confirm that this is a pcp trait?

Oddly a chrono check showed normal fps at this pressure which seemed odd as the POI had dropped and groups opened out.

Whatever, it prompted me to install the Lane reg which was a job long overdue. It seems to be good this time around. Its a dead easy install, didn't even need tools.

2. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Your only correct in that as you get to a specific point with any gun it will start to lose accuracy due to a fall in pressure and therefor fps as it either falls off the reg or starts to lose power with low pressure on an unregged gun. The idea that it will "lose accuracy but retain the same fps performance" is not correct, but probably in your head or due to external condition. Sometimes when your "looking" for a problem you find it :thumb:

3. willo1962

willo1962 Posting Addict

I have shot a full string from my Ultra MMC from 180 bar to 100 bar. It only puts out about 10.5 flb max but at about 50 shots I am down to about 9flb and by 60 shots I am at 100 bar and my POI has dropped about 1cm @ 20m but still grouping well. I could probably still get acceptable groups if I shot to 50 bar as a pistol will group well at that distance with only a few flb

4. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

I would expect vertical stringing if it were just a matter of losing MV. But it seems to be a general opening of groups.

willo1962 likes this.
  5. Grey Man

Grey Man Posting Addict

I would guess that as power drops, oscillation increases.

Paging Cloverleaf ...

Simonsays likes this.
  6. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

I think Brocock may have been clutching at straws with that response :)

As far as regged rifles go, in well set up ones, when pressure drops off reg, all I've seen is a drop in velocity and POI.

In something like the Kozak, where regs and setup at sub 12 are far from optimal, I'd think the reg simplys struggles to cope below a given pressure, and it may well cause inaccuracy.

Simonsays likes this.
  7. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

Yep, though to my mind it would lead to vertical stringing not shotgunning (relatively speaking).

Anyway, it’s prompted me to install the replacement reg I bought from Rob Lane a while back. Bit of a faff to stop blow by but I think I’ve gotten there. I’ve posted the story in the technical section.

phil.m and robs5230 like this.
  8. phil.m

phil.m Donator

Was your compatto a regged one? The 1st one I had wasn't regged & that suffered from poor accuracy too.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to the problem, but are you comparing apples with oranges here?
    None regged / regged?

Good luck getting it sorted.

9. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

My guess would be either the cylinder warping / relaxing and pulling the barrel about (if the barrel's not floated) or excessive valve duration (in an un-regged gun) causing greater pressure at the muzzle and associated destabilisation..

Simonsays likes this.
  10. Septic

Septic Superbus et Vetera

Lane regs are great...

I’ve had no experience with the kozak.. But I can say from many years working with HPA in industry, that some regulators are amazingly accurate at normal design pressures, but become very slightly unstable when the air feed isn’t significantly higher than the desired output... Which might be why you see a loss of accuracy while the fill pressure is still more than you need for the shot...

11. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

No Compatto not regged. Could indeed be apples and oranges but I was simply tying together two bits of circumstantial evidence.

I did eventually get a regged Compatto replacement from Brocock which was spot on but in the meantime I’d been seduced by the super compact Kozak, so it got sold.

phil.m likes this.
  12. phil.m

phil.m Donator

I remember your posts well & by pure coincidence (and drooling over airguns) I followed a similar route.

However I had a kozak from the bad batch, that was a return re-sold by Pellpax.
    So I ended up with a brilliant regged bantam.

Good luck getting it sorted. Could cloverleaf be on to something? Isn't the barrel banded on the kozak?

13. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

Yes it is banded but why only around 130 bar?

Worth investigating.